Basic HDC Beanie

hobbyzu

post-8067-135897555343_thumb.jpg

I just realized I can post the full pattern here! hehe

I have included the UK stitch version below for those who may need it.

Basic HDC Beanie

This is a basic beanie pattern I came up with several years ago; perfect pattern for a beginner. If you’d like a smaller or larger size beanie, just change the hook size.

Materials

Debbie Bliss Eco Cotton or other Aran weight yarn - Approx. 140 m./153 yds.

G hook – 4.5mm/Small

H hook – 5.0mm/Regular

I hook – 5.5mm/Large

Yarn needle for weaving in ends

Finished Measurements

Small

G hook – 20-21 inch circumference

7 1/2 inches from crown to rim edge

Regular

H hook – 22-23 inch circumference

8 inches from crown to rim edge

Large

I hook – 23-24 inch circumference

8 1/2 inches from crown to rim edge

Gauge

6 hdc’s/htr’s and 5 rows = 2 inches.

Pattern Notes

*No turning after rows.

*To end refers to directions between **.

*Ch 1 at beginning of row does not count as a stitch throughout the pattern, it serves to reduce a visible seam.

*Crochet this hat using 1 strand of Aran weight yarn, or 2 strands DK weight.

US Stitch Version

Form magic loop

1.) Ch 1, 8 hdc in ring, sl st to 1st hdc. (8)

2.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st , and in each st to end. Sl st to the 1st hdc. (16)

3.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in next st, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in next st*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (24)

4.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (32)

5.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (40)

6.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st , 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (48)

7.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (56)

8.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (64)

9.) Ch 1, 2 hdc’s in same st, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts, *2 hdc’s in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (72)

(Should be about 7 inches in diameter.)

10 -19.) Ch 1, 1 hdc same st and in each st to end. (72)

(Stop here at row 19 if you’re adding a peak, and follow the pattern for that below. Continue to row 20 otherwise.)

20) Ch 1, sc in same st and in each st to end. (72)

PEAK

Using 2 strands of yarn , centre 15 sts at the front of the hat on the right side of your work.

1.) Join yarn with a sl st, 2 sc in same st, and in each of the next 14 sts. (30)

2.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, sc in the back loop of each st to the end. 1 hdc into hat edge, sl st into the next 2 sts.

3.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, sc in each st to end. 1 hdc into hat edge, sl st into next 2 sts. (Can repeat this row once more for a longer peak)

4.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, sc in each st to end. Sl st in same space as last sl st and in next st. Fasten off and weave in ends.

5.) Rejoin yarn at back of hat on the right side, sc in each st around the hat and the peak.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

UK Stitch Version

Form magic loop

1.) Ch 1, 8 htr in ring, sl st to 1st htr. (8)

2.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st , and in each st to end. Sl st to the 1st htr. (16)

3.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in next st, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in next st*, to end. Sl st to 1st hdc. (24)

4.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in each of the next 2 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 2 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (32)

5.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in each of the next 3 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 3 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (40)

6.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st , 1 htr in each of the next 4 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 4 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (48)

7.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in each of the next 5 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 5 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (56)

8.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in each of the next 6 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 6 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (64)

9.) Ch 1, 2 htr’s in same st, 1 htr in each of the next 7 sts, *2 htr’s in next st, 1 htr in each of the next 7 sts*, to end. Sl st to 1st htr. (72)

(Should be about 7 inches in diameter.)

10 -19.) Ch 1, 1 htr same st and in each st to end. (72)

(Stop here at row 19 if you’re adding a peak, and follow the pattern for that below. Continue to row 20 otherwise.)

20) Ch 1, dc in same st and in each st to end. (72)

PEAK

Using 2 strands of yarn , centre 15 sts at the front of the hat on the right side of your work.

1.) Join yarn with a sl st, 2 dc in same st, and in each of the next 14 sts. (30)

2.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, dc in the back loop of each st to the end. 1 htr into hat edge, sl st into the next 2 sts.

3.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, dc in each st to end. 1 htr into hat edge, sl st into next 2 sts. (Can repeat this row once more for a longer peak)

4.) Ch 1, turn, skip 1st st, dc in each st to end. Sl st in same space as last sl st and in next st. Fasten off and weave in ends.

5.) Rejoin yarn at back of hat on the right side, dc in each st around the hat and the peak.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Copyright 2010 HobbyZu. http://hobbyzu.com

I have no problem with customers using my patterns to make items and sell them. I do however ask that you not pass the patterns off as your own, or sell and distribute them. Thanks so much.

Any questions, error reports or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

post-8067-135897555355_thumb.jpg

I love the way Hobbyzu's hat turned out. Mine doesnt seem to be as nice looking, especially the bill of the hat. Mine looks a lot shorter than hers. I like the pattern a lot, but I think I might tweak it a bit on the next one so that it's a little bit longer to cover the top of my ears and make the bill longer.

post-36160-135897557575_thumb.jpg

post-36160-135897557578_thumb.jpg

I love the way Hobbyzu's hat turned out. Mine doesnt seem to be as nice looking, especially the bill of the hat. Mine looks a lot shorter than hers. I like the pattern a lot, but I think I might tweak it a bit on the next one so that it's a little bit longer to cover the top of my ears and make the bill longer.

It looks great! :-)

Definitely tweaking is in order. It's always good to make a pattern your own, because what works for one person may not work for another. :-)

You're right! I just edited the pattern a bit to let everyone know where they can add an extra row if desired. :-)

• 3 months later...

So glad you like the pattern. :-) Happy belated thanksgiving! :-)

I like this, it's working up really fast! I won't be adding the peak/bill, and it will be longer, but it was a dream to make! :crocheting as I post!

• 1 month later...

Archived