Someone STOLE my crochet at the fair!

Mrs. Principal

I am so sorry... it is tough when someone does wrong to you. It's a violation of your space!

The fair can only do so much. If you've never worked a fair in any kind of display or livestock area don't be so quick to say anything. BTDT and joe and sally public ought to be ashamed of themseves...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt that whoever took it will care about living with themselves. Do you have any before pics? I would file a police report with the pictures and then if/when you see the tote around town they get nailed for theft.

It's a one in a gazillion chance but people win the lottery too.

Thanks for the suggestions, I may just have to file a report of some kind or see if a news paper is interested in running the story. This is going to sound bad, and I don't want to offend anyone. At least at our fair, there are really two type of people at the fair, those who understand the farming, 4-h, crafting, animals and understand the time effort and money put into these displays and art pieces. They appreaciate and cheer for others in this area, attend the award cermony and talk shop in the barns and home-ec buildings. Then there are people who go to the fair only for the food, rides, demolition derby and the like. Honestly, I don't even go down to the midway part of the fair, I stay at the farming end and enjoy all that there. There is a very different culture of people at each end of the fair, and there is an invisible line in the center of the fair that separates each. The home ec building did actually increase security when it started raining, all the fair people had to report to the shelters on the farming side, but it wasn't enough.

The good news is that I picked up ILTwool from Hobby Lobby to re-make the bag. Have never tried this kind, so that will be exciting. Even picked up an extra few skeins with my winnings and plan to make a felted crochet hook case!

Thanks for the support!

So sorry to hear about the theft of your bag. I think I would file a report with the police about this theft and see if a story could be written about it in the newspaper or aired on TV. Who knows someone may see the bag and report it to the authorities.

I haven't been to a state fair (I've never been to a county fair) in many years. But when I would go I loved to look at all of the food entries and arts and crafts entries. It was best if I went by myself because I would spend a long time looking at all of the entries trying to figure out why one won and why one didn't. Almost everytime I went there would be one individual or group of people who did not understand the work and time that went into creating something. I used to get so frustrated hearing their snide remarks. I know there were some things in the arts and crafts that I did not understand but I at least tried to appreciate the effort and work someone put into it to create it.

I enter things in fairs all the time. It is hard for the fair workers to keep an eye on everything all the time so unfortunately stuff like this can happen. I couldn't even imagine what I would feel if one of my projects got stolen. I have heard many comments from people who don't understand crafting and don't respect the time, effort and cost that goes into each project. It's heartbreaking.

I enter things in fairs all the time. It is hard for the fair workers to keep an eye on everything all the time so unfortunately stuff like this can happen. It's heartbreaking.

The thing is THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.

IT's kinda like kindergarten - keep your hands to yourselves and off of other peoples stuff. I don't know what's wrong with the world today- I just know I don't like it very much.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this- and I would have cried too!

Hope you got yourself some really nice yarn and the new bag you make will be even better (if that's possible)

Hugs to you:hug:hug:hug

You know, I've always been discouraged from entering things at the fair for this very reason. And the signs always say "don't touch", but you see greasy fried-Oreo fingers always feeling up those afghans. I'm glad you aren't discouraged, though, and will enter again next year. You could try putting a lost and found ad on Craigslist explaining what happened and ask if anyone saw anything suspicious, or just offer a small reward for the bag...no questions asked...just to get it back. In any case, whenever somebody takes something from us, the Lord always gives it back twicefold (in time). Sorry for your loss!

I feel bad about the remark I made about the fair being responsible and please let me explain. I understand they cannot make sure people don't steal but I felt so bad for Mrs. Principal that they reminded her "we are not responsible" it made me a little angry. I do understand they have an awesome job taking care of all the items and RoseRed is correct with her statement "they shouldn't have to". I didn't mean to offend anyone, I guess I just got a little steamed, sorry for that. :blush

I'm so sorry that your bag was stolen! :eek It was a beautiful bag. I know the one you are making will be just as beautiful. Congrats on being the Grand Champion!!

As bad as it is that someone loved your tote almost as much as you, you could look at the incident as a complament. Someone admired your work sooooo much they just had to have it. Doesn't make it right...just a complament.

I feel bad about the remark I made about the fair being responsible and please let me explain. I understand they cannot make sure people don't steal but I felt so bad for Mrs. Principal that they reminded her "we are not responsible" it made me a little angry. I do understand they have an awesome job taking care of all the items and RoseRed is correct with her statement "they shouldn't have to". I didn't mean to offend anyone, I guess I just got a little steamed, sorry for that. :blush

The workers at the fair felt sooo bad with me, they really all stopped what they were doing, and helped me look around the enitire exhibit hall to see if had re-located to another table. They took my name, address, and phone number just incase something turned up. They too felt violated, like I did, and couldn't believe someone would do this. Thier response of not being responsible came with many appologies and concerns to try to make things right. Many of the workers at the fair volunteer their time and a good part of their summer making sure we have a great experience at the fair. I don't blame them, there are so many beautiful pieces to watch, and they cannot cover the entire building with the small amount of volunteers. And as RoseRed mentioned, it's sad that they would have to watch for people stealing.

OMG! That was just awful! I can't even imagine what I would do if that would have happened to me. I'm on the verge of tears here for you. I know how over the top happy you were about winning everything that you could have won. I'm so sorry for you, but don't let this make you decide to never to do this again. Someone may have stolen the tote, but not your talent.

Donna

I'm sorry that your bag got stolen..:hug:ohdear

I have wanted to enter in our county fair but they put the crochet items on tables with signs that say don't touch. I watched someone standing in front of the sign pick up and put on a pair of mittens.

I'm sorry that your bag got stolen.

Suellen

Archived