Someone STOLE my crochet at the fair!

Mrs. Principal

I like the idea of putting it on the news too!! Do you have a picture of it? You should definately let a news person know or even your local paper!! Then the person will be caught for sure!! or be so embarrassed they won't be able to use it....but it really is a compliment!!

One more little thing....I read one of these posts about people putting their grubby hands on the crochet items...it reminded me of when I made a bunch of hats and was selling them at the craft sale, people would just walk up and put them on their heads just to mess with them and not think about the fact they are leaving behind...ick. Then recently I went to a Quilt show and first off, they were charging $5 to even look at the quilts, then you were given a glove to where after you entered in the case you wanted to touch one of the quilts, but they have signs on them not to touch them. Is it just me or do crocheters get absolutely no respect?? I know that the quilters do put alot of work and time into what they do, but so do crocheters!! I just think crocheters are just too good hearted by nature, and some people take advantage of this.How can we change this cultural mishap??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel bad about the remark I made about the fair being responsible and please let me explain. I understand they cannot make sure people don't steal but I felt so bad for Mrs. Principal that they reminded her "we are not responsible" it made me a little angry. I do understand they have an awesome job taking care of all the items and RoseRed is correct with her statement "they shouldn't have to". I didn't mean to offend anyone, I guess I just got a little steamed, sorry for that. :blush

I wasn't offended - I was agreeing with you.

I'm sorry that your bag got stolen..:hug:ohdear

I have wanted to enter in our county fair but they put the crochet items on tables with signs that say don't touch. I watched someone standing in front of the sign pick up and put on a pair of mittens.

I'm sorry that your bag got stolen.

Suellen

I certainly hope you said something. Me - I know I'm outspoken and have no problem at all creating a scene - I also know that not everyone is like me. That's just wrong!

I like the idea of putting it on the news too!! Do you have a picture of it? You should definately let a news person know or even your local paper!! Then the person will be caught for sure!! or be so embarrassed they won't be able to use it....but it really is a compliment!!

One more little thing....I read one of these posts about people putting their grubby hands on the crochet items...it reminded me of when I made a bunch of hats and was selling them at the craft sale, people would just walk up and put them on their heads just to mess with them and not think about the fact they are leaving behind...ick. Then recently I went to a Quilt show and first off, they were charging $5 to even look at the quilts, then you were given a glove to where after you entered in the case you wanted to touch one of the quilts, but they have signs on them not to touch them. Is it just me or do crocheters get absolutely no respect?? I know that the quilters do put alot of work and time into what they do, but so do crocheters!! I just think crocheters are just too good hearted by nature, and some people take advantage of this.How can we change this cultural mishap??

Strong personal feelings aside - is this really a newsworthy story? A bag was stolen off the table at the fair. I'm sure things dissapear at almost every fair that ever happens.

I think it's disgusting that someone would steal it. I find it pathetic that someone would put on a pair of mittens and walk away. People in general just don't seem to know right from wrong anymore. Either that or they just don't care.

No - crocheters do not get the same respect as quilters.

Not all crocheters are nice or good hearted people. They're just people that learned a skill.

I would def file a police report with a pic. Keep the case # or a copy of it in the bottom of your purse. If you ever do come across it - you can call it in. It's much more of a personal offense then a monetary one (depending on how much you would sell it for)

Strong personal feelings aside - is this really a newsworthy story? A bag was stolen off the table at the fair. I'm sure things dissapear at almost every fair that ever happens.

Definitely a human interest story. If a story with photo were published then whoever took it might be noticed when they used it and then they would be known for the thief they are!:eek

Definitely a human interest story. If a story with photo were published then whoever took it might be noticed when they used it and then they would be known for the thief they are!:eek

In a small town, it would definatly be news worthy. Our "paper" comes out 3 times a week, & is mostly filled with these type of human interest stories.

In a small town, it would definatly be news worthy. Our "paper" comes out 3 times a week, & is mostly filled with these type of human interest stories.

That's a really good point. I don't get the twice a week paper that everyone calls the 'gossip rag'. Mostly because I don't care what other people are doing.

I am so sorry that your beautiful tote & hard work were taken from you & spoiling your joy of winning at the fair too. :(

Like someone else said, hopefully the person that took it needed it & couldn't afford a bag (most likely were not carrying a bag or it would look out of place carrying TWO purses).

I think this is the only thing that would keep me from being so angry. Someone stole a lighthouse magnet off my car recently & to think I was upset about that. I let it go thinking someone must like lighthouses like I do & I'll miss it. If it were one of my creations, it would be harder to get over like that though.

It's not right --no excuse to steal I hope they think about what they did every time they look at it or someone compliments them on their bag & asks "where did you get that bag, it's beautiful". They have to live with this.

I hope you enjoy making your new tote.

my sympathies. I had a whole adult sized afghan taken once, from my consignment booth at a shop. No one knew anything, or saw anything, now, one would think, walking out of a busy shop, with an afghan in their arms, would be noticed, right, I never did see it again, and just put it down to this, I guess the powers that be, deemed she/or he needed it more than i needed to sell it. Moral of the story, don't be bitter, I guess be proud that someone thought so much of your item, they justified the act of theivery in their own minds, to own it! It Don't make it right, but but it's not healthy to dwell on the negative!

OMGoodness, how AWFUL that your bag was stolen!

If I were you, I would run a paragraph in the local paper about it. Well, FIRST I would file a report with your local police, and THEN I'd do the newspaper thing. Our local paper has a section in it called "Matagorda Memos" that is basically a bunch of little short paragraphs about things going on in the town and around the county. I would let everyone who reads it know what happened, and that you would really like to have your bag back. I would tell the thief that you don't care WHO took it, but you just want it back. I would tell the thief to drop the bag in the after-hours drop box at the local public library, that way they could do it at midnight if they want to, so nobody will see them doing it and know who took it. Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody will have pangs of conscience and bring it back. You never know.

In the meantime, may the thief never know a minute of joy from carrying that bag, may the guilt eat her or him alive, and may they have many sleepless nights in the wake of their criminal activity. What goes around comes around. Hopefully something that they cherish will be stolen from them so that they can see how it feels. I know that sounds awful, but if there are two things in this life that I cannot stomach, it's liars and thieves. Usually the two go hand in hand, and they hurt more people than anyone could ever imagine.

Ohh that is just terrible! I feel so bad, I hope that whomever took it feels bad. On a happier note, CONGRATULATIONS! For earning a ribbon, it must have been beautiful!

hugs and squishes!

I'm so very sorry. However, there's always the possibility the bag will be stolen from her, and that it will have things in it. Not wishing any ill, just stating a fact.

Congratulations on your prizes!

That totally sucks!! I would have cried too!!! I would be on the lookout for it and I might be tempted to say something to them like "Oh that's a great bag!!" Let them respond and then say "I had one stolen at the fair that looks just like that! I hope whoever took is ashamed!" And then just wait to see their response!

Again, I am so sorry that happened to you. That was my fear when I entered things!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to hear of your loss! I would cry too. I had an incident happen at the fair, nothing like yours, but I made a lady a blanket for her baby last year. And this year she put it in the fair under her name. Talk about upset. I put alot of time in that blanket, and I may sound childish, but that was my work not hers! I hope you find the person that did this.

Archived