Market bags

I have made all sorts of different market bags, but like none of them. All of them turn out too stretchy and I'm worried about them lasting over usage and time. The only thing I can think of to stop the stretchiness is to crochet yarn and fishing line together. Any other ideas? Thanks!

I know what you mean about "too stretchy."

I took a green market bag to buy groceries, and that thing really stretches big! And, because it would stretch out large enough, the grocery store sacker thought that she should put as much in the bag as it could possibly hold. It had no problem holding 4 2-liter bottles of soda, so that's what she put in it! Hello???? Never mind that it weighed a ton and the handles practically stretched to the ground. I was afraid that it was going to be ruined.

So I went home and crocheted smaller versions that were less stretchy (double crochet used instead of tripple), just large enough to hold 2 2-liter bottles. They look small, and the sacker usually looks at me like I'm crazy when I hand them over and say they are for the 2-liter bottles, and then they look surprised when the bottles fit. Twice they have even walked around and shown the bags (with bottles inside) to other employees. They want to know where I got them, and I just tell them that I made them.

So make a smaller version, with shorter, thicker handles.

I have used cotton and nylon. If you want very little stretch, use the nylon. I like crocheting with it too. I have not used any acrylic yarn for market bags because I would figure they would stretch too much.

Please remember to wash your bags occasionally! Some people have been getting sick by using tote bags which they put meats, poultry, fruits and veggies in, but they don't think to wash them and the bacteria and such get nasty. Otherwise they are an excellent idea and way to cut down on all the trash we make.

I have a rather large collection of the ones the stores are selling since I tend to use them for more then just groceries. A fun little project that makes them look nicer is to grab up all your guage swatches and sew them on or you can make a bunch of granny squares as well. The one I did for a friend is hideously coloured but she loves it since it makes a statement. The best part is that they don't stretch out of shape.

Now if everyone could help me convince my 1yr old (happy birthday baby boo) to stop running off and hiding all my squares, it would be a big help in getting more of them done.

Hugs and Cookies

I wanted to use acrylic, since I have a TON of it laying around with no particular pattern in mind for it. Would the fishing line affect the acrylic? Thanks again.

I made an acrylic bag a few years ago and used a strand of size 10 thread with it. I've never tried fishing line, but it seems like it would be hard on your hands to crochet with it. The thread really minimized the stretching. I think the nature of crochet is that it is always at least a little stretchy unless you crochet your project extremely tightly, and nothing is going to get rid of all the stretch in a project.

I've started making my market bags with the handles crocheted as part of the top band, just so the bag won't stretch down to the floor. I also make the bags smaller than looks practical. My crochet bags stretch quite a bit, so they still hold plenty. This pattern gives you an idea of what I mean. It's one I made up so that my market bags would work for me, but there are others out there.

I made a couple of market bags with cotton butcher's twine. It doesn't seem to stretch like regular cotton yarn.

I've used heavy cotton or rug yarn and sc stitches. I've also made totes out of "plarn" (made from plastic bags). I think they show how in the recycling section (someone named Recycle Cindy I think). I work in a Market Basket so I can get all the unusable (holes, broken handles, etc.) bags I want.

Ellie 13

Edit: You can find plarn instructions at My Recycled Bags.com

You might try making more of a solid tote type pattern if you want to use up your acrylic, it should stretch less than the net-type (and you will use more of it up :P and not have the extra expense of the fishing line). SC should stretch less than DC, as well.

Archived