What yarn do I use to make a purse?

momofgmd

Question

I am the type of person who uses one purse. I like to keep it organized and just so, and that is the purse I take everywhere with me. My problem is I can't find the exact purse to suit me, so I decided to try my hand at crocheting a purse. Does anyone have any suggestions about what type of yarn (thread, whatever) I should use that will last a long time with lots of use? I want to find just the right thing and not break the bank either. :think

7 answers to this question

When I make a purse I use good old RedHeart , usually three strands. It's durable and comes in a wide vareity of colors. And you can always fancy it up with fun fur or boa.

I am the type of person who uses one purse. I like to keep it organized and just so, and that is the purse I take everywhere with me. My problem is I can't find the exact purse to suit me, so I decided to try my hand at crocheting a purse. Does anyone have any suggestions about what type of yarn (thread, whatever) I should use that will last a long time with lots of use? I want to find just the right thing and not break the bank either. :think

If you do full a purse, you'll want to use a good 100 percent wool that is capable of fulling. Cascade 220 (not "superwash") is a good choice and reasonably affordable for wool that can be fulled. Lots of nice colors too.

I love nylon cord. It's a little rough on the fingers, but it looks so professional when it's worked up. The purse I made seemed to hold its shape fairly well, but I think it would probably be a good idea to line it if you make your purse out of this yarn.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :tup Has anyone used nylon yarn? Does it hold up well?

I've used nylon. It holds up really well. I didn't find it rough on my hands. I did find it very slippery and tempermental when it came to tension. It kept wanting to get tight, no matter what hook size I was using.

I didn't line my bag. The stitches were so tight using sc that nothing will poke out of that bag.

Archived