Winding a Center-Pull Ball of Yarn by Hand

nattypatcrochet

Question

The other day my two dogs (a Smooth Fox Terrier and a miniature Schnauzer) decided that they wanted to have one of their "pig runs" chasing each other inside the house. Normally this is a rather entertaining spectacle, but on this day it was a little different. My mom was knitting in our living room, her work, a lovely cabled Aran pillow, was progressing along very nicely. One problem - her ball of yarn was quietly rolling around the floor while she worked. Next come my two dogs running at full speed, going in circles, ears flapping in the breeze, with a string of yarn in their way, tangled in their feet. Neither my mom or my dogs were particularly happy with the outcome. I was shocked to learn that my own mother didn't know how to wind yarn by hand into a centre pull ball of yarn! When I asked her she simply remarked, "Well, I always wanted a ball winder but they're so expensive." Okay! So I now know what her next Christmas present is, but in the meantime I'll have to teach her how to do it by hand.

A few years back my grandmother taught me how to do it. Since I wasn't web-cam savy at the time I don't have a video of her and all the "secret family tricks". But, I can say that you can check out the links below and they should prevent your doggies from such entanglement. The only point that I will add is that while Megan (the tutorial videographer) uses only her hand to hold the ball of yarn I find it easier to attach your beginning strand of yarn to a ruler or yard stick. That way, if your yarn ball (especially with chunky weight yarn) starts to get too big you'll still be able to easily turn it without completely covering up one of your hands.

5 answers to this question

I've even used my "Q" hook! But I also learned how to make the neat looking balls by watching you tube video...before that (and still, if I'm doing HUGE balls of cotton) I do the more round stuff, leaving a looong tail to dangle out of the center. (you know, when you wind a chunk around your fingers, slide it off, and then wind cross-ways. turn. wind. repeat.) lol

I was hoping the video was of the dogs. What a funny story, and I can just picture it because I've come close to having the same problem!

Archived