Felted Crochet Mitered Square Totebag

mpurdy

This is a pattern that I wrote out a while ago and posted on the crochetme website as well as ravelry. In case you haven't seen it and would like to give it a try here it is.

You can download the pdf version by clicking on the link http://crochetme.com/media/p/109468.aspx or view the entire pattern instructions below.

Felted Crochet Mitered Square Tote Bag

Designed by Merri Purdy merripurdy@verizon.net

Materials List:

4 skeins Patons SWS

2 handle straps

Button

Coordinating embroidery floss for button closure

Size I crochet hook

Fabric and sewing thread for lining (optional)

Mitered Square: (Make 8)

Chain 2

Row 1: Work 3 sc in 2nd chain from hook (3 sc total); ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in first stitch, 3sc in center stitch, sc in last stitch (5 sc total); ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Sc in first 2 sts, 3 sc in center st, sc in last 2 sts (7sc total); ch 1, turn.

Continue to work in this fashion, adding 3 sc to each center st of the row until your square has 20 sc along 1st edge, 3sc in center, 20 sc along 2nd edge.

4-Square Front and Back Panel Lay-out:

Lay 4 squares out so that the starting chain for each square is in a corner. SC your four squares together. The side that you sc your squares together on is the WS of the bag. Repeat process for the other side of your bag. Both sides of your bag are now ready to attach together with an easy side panel.

Side Panel:

Using either your front (4 square) OR your back panel, with RS facing, attach yarn to 1 corner. SC along three sides of the panel, chain 1, turn. Sc along edge for 5 more rows, fasten off.

Attaching Front and Back Panels Together:

With WS of each panel on the outside, (RS of panel on the inside), sc front and back panels together starting in the corner stitch of whichever panel you did not use in the previous step. Do NOT fasten off. When you have reached the opposite end, turn your bag “right side up” and sc along the top edge (in the round) for 2 rounds to give it a nicer finish. Your bag is now ready to be felted.

Finishing Touches:

1) Felt your bag (if you do not know how to do this, there are any number of websites that have easy directions); for example: http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/254.html=

2) Insert a small pillow covered with a plastic grocery bag to help shape (form) your felted bag while drying

3) Let bag dry overnight

4) Remove pillow form

5) Attach handles

6) Add button closure and strap (optional)

7) Line your bag (I found this helpful): http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/01/tutorial-sew-lining-for-crocheted-bag.aspx

8) Fill it with your stuff and enjoy!

post-40069-135897550662_thumb.jpg

post-40069-135897550667_thumb.jpg

What a sharp tote, Merri! I love both your design and the colors you used -Beautifully done!

I too, have never felted before, but your share is an inspiration and maybe just the kick I need to give it a try. Thank you!

It's been a while since I felted a bag. This one has inspired me to take up the hooks and start another one. Thanks! :hook

Archived