roundpeg

Weird WIP afghan

I am a little excited and wanted to share.

There is a place that makes satin sheets in my town. You can buy scraps of the fabric (it is not satin, it is poly something I assume). So I went yesterday, the scraps are 25 cents a yard and a yard is 96 inches wide. I bought about $4 worth which ended up being several pounds. I came home and started cutting it into 1" strips.

I started crocheting it and got carried away so it got very wide, so I guess it will be a bedspread! It feels wonderful, it is heavy so I am doing a more open stitch. I don't have a pattern so I am winging it with a row of treble, ch 1 , and a row of double. Since it is looking like filet, I think I will start adding a geometric something to it.

I wish you could feel it, I am very excited. I do love to crochet, but I really love cheap crocheting!

post-40006-135897549344_thumb.jpg

Ah, but so wonderfully weird, Peg! :) ... Love the idea of using fabric for yarn (sheet for yarn= sharn?), such an economical way to go; and you're working it beautifully. Thanks for sharing your progress so far.

What a great idea and it looks good too. I can't agree with you enough about cheap projects even better if they turn out really cool. I once cut old socks into strips and made them into a bathroom rug. It was pretty neat to look at but was a great deal of work.

Very neat!

How do you join the strips?

Thanks ladies! I literally have probably 4 pounds of this satin sheet material for $4 (that included 50 cents for some batting for a different project).

Today, I bought a rotary cutter (with a 40% off coupon!!!) and I am going to town cutting this stuff up.

Katrala: I am just cutting a continuous strip, starting at the perimeter and working all around, and around and around.

The peices are larger than sheet size. One piece had a run that went across it (it won't matter to me), one piece had some color difference in one spot. I think a lot of it is just blemished material or the end of the rolls.

I love being a cheapskate!

And I love cheapskates who are resourceful and creative like you. Great idea. At first I thought you'd made a scarf, and I'll bet that would be nice, too.

Very different and unusual - cant wait to see how it turns out!

How neat! Please keep us posted on how it's going!