what does ch-5 sp mean?

cheekymunky

Question

I'm starting on a baby blanket for my niece and i'm having some difficulty with the 2nd row. I've made one blanket before but i didn't have that term in it and i was wondering exactly how to do it because i just can't figure it out. I've tried looking it up but I still don't understand the explanations that I've found. Here is the first two rows of the pattern. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1st row: (WS). 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. *Ch 5. Miss next 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Rep from * to end of ch. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 5. *1 sc in next ch-5 sp. Ch 2. (Yoh and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next st. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – cluster made. Ch 2. 1 sc in next ch-5 sp. Ch 5. Rep from * across, ending with 1 sc in last ch-5 sp. Ch 2. 1 dc in last sc. Turn.

12 answers to this question

Hello,

ch-5 sp means Chain 5 Space. It is the space that you created in the first row right after the star. Instead of crocheting into the top of the next sc you will make your stitch in the space created by that chain. When you are making it(row 1) a pattern refers to it as CH 5. but when you are making a stitich into it in a later row(row 2) the pattern will refer to it as a ch(some number) space

NiYa :yarn

Thank you. How do you stitch into the space? That's what I kinda don't understand. I know that you're supposed to stitch into the hole but how? I taught myself how to do it with videos and diagrams but I've never seen one on how to do this.

Hi I'm trying to work on the Lacey Eyelet crochet Baby BLANKET! I've torn apart & redone about 4 or 5 times!!! Sure wish they would have made a video of this one it's the pretty mint green over the chair with a stuffed bunny on it!! Having trouble with 1 sc in next ch-5 sp. YOH and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next st. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook - cluster made. ????? Like  said I've done & redone 2nd. Row 4 or 5 times can't figure out where to put my crochet hook!!!  It's by  YARNSPIRATIONS,  I'VE TRIED GOING TO THERE WEBSITE!!  Nothing on this one!!! Tky.  Darlene

Hi!  Just FYI, you might get a better response on this question if you'd started a new thread rather than adding to a long dead thread for a completely different question.  It would make sense if you tagged on to another person's thread for a  on the SAME pattern or technique tho (people often search the HELP section for pattern names and subject matter before starting a new thread, in case their was asked and answered before). Also you might find your answers better than trying to remember which other person's thread you tagged on to.  Just a suggestion ;) 

Anyway.  What you are describing is a cluster stitch.  Think of a generic cluster stitch like this:  it is  multiple INCOMPLETE stitches into 1 stitch, which are all connected together (completed) at the very end when you complete the last stitch.  Because the stitches are incomplete, you are going to accumulate multiple loops on the hook until you join them together.   If you are looking for a video, search on cluster stitch; you might have better luck finding a DC cluster video as I think that's a lot more common than SC, but the concept is the same.

If you were making 1 normal SC into a stitch, you'd insert the hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull thru 2 loops.

It sounds like yours is a 3-SC cluster :  

insert the hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop (there are 2 loops on the hook now) 

insert the hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop (there are 3 loops on the hook now) 

insert the hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop (there are 4 loops on the hook now), yarn over and pull thru all the loops.   Cluster made.

Edit, forgot to add that I couldn't a pattern by that name at Yarnspirations, could you post a link?  Not the pdf file which would violate copyright, just a link to the page.

Edited by Granny Square

Tky. Granny Square!! I very new at posting links not sure how to do that!! But I will try☺!  Yes, you are right it is a 3 times cluster!! My problem is where to put my crochet hook into!!! Tky. Darlene.  Ok having problems i just searched for Crochet Eyelet Baby Blanket 

YES THAT'S IT!!  I'm going to go to site & see if I can send to you via email I've done that before just don't know how on here my email is joda.reinsch@yahoo.com    Gosh I see now you found it click on link you sent & yes that's it!!! Thank-you

Edited by Joda1973
Adding more info

Ok after doing the second row at the end it says  "Chain . *1 sc in next ch-5 sp   this is my problem can you show me on screen how to do that ?  I get the YOH which means going through loops I made after crocheting row 1 the loops are row 2?                        Chain 5

Edited by Joda1973
Correcting

Ok we can post a few rows of a pattern and not be in violation of copyright so I am going to post row 2 to see if I can figure out what you are asking as I am jumping back and forth between here and pattern. 

2nd row: Ch 5. *1 sc in next ch-5 sp. Ch 2. (Yoh and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next st. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – cluster made. Ch 2. 1 sc in next ch-5 sp. Ch 5. Rep from * across, ending with 1 sc in last ch-5 sp. Ch 2. 1 dc in last sc. Turn.

Ok are you telling me you have made your alternating clusters and ch5's on row 2 until you have reached the final ch 5 space on row 1?  If that is the case you just sc in that last ch 5 space (just like you have done all the way across when it told you to sc in a ch 5 space.  Then you ch 2 and dc in last sc on row 1. 

Where it is telling you yoh and draw thru loops it is taking you thru the individual steps of making partial double crochets.  These are being made into one of the sc in row 1.

A picture of your work might help us figure it out.

Edited by bgs

Good find on the pattern BGS, your google-fu is better than mine.  That's a pretty pattern stitch.  I may be reading too much press on the British royals as your swatch made me think of a tiara, :lol 

Darlene, re: posting links...y'know, that's a good question as I'm on a PC and it's easy to copy/paste, but I have no clue how to do it if you are using a phone or tablet, sorry.  No worries since Bgs found it.

Bgs has answered part of this, but you said "I get the YOH which means going through loops I made after crocheting row 1 the loops are row 2?".  YOH means 'yarn over hook', which is another way to say 'yarn over' which is just grabbing the yarn with your hook and is a step in making any stitch.  You understood what I meant where I said "yarn over" in my earlier post, right?

And now I think I (maybe) understand why you may have posted in this thread because the originator of this thread (Cheekymonkey)  was asking "how do I make a stitch INTO a chain 5 SPACE?", and I'm guessing that is your question as well?  The discussion at the very top of the thread describes it well; does that help you?  In a nutshell, you basically make the stitch AROUND the chain space.  Not really different than making it AROUND the 2 top loops of a stitch in the row below, really.