I had no idea SHARE A SQUARE is still going!!!

Titus2woman

This is Shelly's second try at Share A Square ~ be sure to check out her FAQ page http://thiseclecticlife.com/share-a-square-2010-faq/

as there are a bunch of changes from last time.

This is an amazing undertaking and any help we can give Shelly is wonderful.... and yes, this is a great use for those small balls of worsted weight yarn!! :cheer

Sorry~my link was to comments on that page, wasn't it? ACK! Thanks for setting me straight, Deborah! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

You had the right link.... I just wanted everyone to know some things have changed since two years ago - hate to have folks not get the full information and add to Shelly and their workload. :hook

Just read the update am wondering anyone ever sew squares together using the tail from one square? Trying to visualize that, curious. It says tuck in ends, but then also says leave a long 12 tail. Assume by that she means if you use more then one color per square to work in your ends when changing yarn; but for your last color and the last row leave a longer then normal tail of 12 inches??

Were there 2 groups with similar names back then? Trying to remember back and remember one group that wanted squares, but it wasn't directed towards helping children; was open for charities?

Just read the update am wondering anyone ever sew squares together using the tail from one square? Trying to visualize that, curious. It says tuck in ends, but then also says leave a long 12 tail. Assume by that she means if you use more then one color per square to work in your ends when changing yarn; but for your last color and the last row leave a longer then normal tail of 12 inches??

Were there 2 groups with similar names back then? Trying to remember back and remember one group that wanted squares, but it wasn't directed towards helping children; was open for charities?

That is a bit confusing about the tails but you are correct ~ if you are using more than one color be sure to securely tuck the tails for all but the last round. The last round you should leave a 12" tail (in the corner was also mentioned if possible). I'm not big on sewing together squares but know the idea is to make it possible for non-crochet people to help with the project.

Never heard of a second group ~ only Shelly leading the group to make afghans for the children. Last year Shelly did a different project for the kids - maybe that is what you saw.

Look at this! Y'all are amazing. Thank you for getting behind Share A Square 2010. I know that sewing together the afghans isn't a favorite for everybody ... but I have a lot of people who want to help but cannot figure out how to hold a crochet hook :-). Some of them know how to hold a needle, and if I can keep from shipping these afghans all over the country it will save a bundle in postage.

I didn't mean to make the wording of the FAQ difficult. If you have suggestions, I'm open to changing the wording. Y'all are wonderful! I can't thank you enough!

I have sewn squares together using long end tails and it is fine. Much fewer tails to weave later. The 12" is the LAST tail of your square, on your final round or row. Take care of all the others properly. Be sure to weave in enough so that it doesn't come undone in wash.

Another thing I try to do is make sure the tail is at the corner of my square so each one starts at the same place. It probably won't be a problem regardless since the entire 12" may not be used on one join, or some might leave more than 12", but just something I am doing.

That is a bit confusing about the tails but you are correct ~ if you are using more than one color be sure to securely tuck the tails for all but the last round. The last round you should leave a 12" tail (in the corner was also mentioned if possible). I'm not big on sewing together squares but know the idea is to make it possible for non-crochet people to help with the project.

Never heard of a second group ~ only Shelly leading the group to make afghans for the children. Last year Shelly did a different project for the kids - maybe that is what you saw.

I missed that about the corner, I've always tried not to end in the corner as it seemed smoothier to me on the side, particularly if not in the same location.

It's always interesting to learn new methods, thus my question about the tail to sew to another square. Might have to try two to see how that works.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Look at this! Y'all are amazing. Thank you for getting behind Share A Square 2010. I know that sewing together the afghans isn't a favorite for everybody ... but I have a lot of people who want to help but cannot figure out how to hold a crochet hook :-). Some of them know how to hold a needle, and if I can keep from shipping these afghans all over the country it will save a bundle in postage.

I didn't mean to make the wording of the FAQ difficult. If you have suggestions, I'm open to changing the wording. Y'all are wonderful! I can't thank you enough!

Thanks Holly for bumping this up, I have contacted Shelly, and have a box packed and ready to mail to her, but will have to be tomorrow.Seems I am running a day behind, what with the holiday and all.

And just for anyone who wonders, I had to attatch the tails on a few of mine, as I had them all finished off already, luckily i was able to pull the amount of those particular colors from my basket. I just attatched it, (surgical knot, or any knot I guess) buried the short end, and left the 12 inches hanging. I think it will work just fine, and I hated to NOT use those particular grannys, just because I had good sense to FINISH them when I made them, ha ha.

Mine are all colors, brights, pastels, fall colors, jewel tones, mostly red heart, or ILTY and I don't think i had any solid colors, and lots of different patterns from previous projects, and when I get a bunch of small balls, and scraps, I just make grannys, or experiment! check out my photobucket page, i have some posted there. Good luck to Shelly and team on putting these all together! http://s247.photobucket.com/home/katydid8090

• 4 weeks later...

SHARE a SQUARE

Needs YOUR help

NOW

:help

Please can you make some squares and get them out to Shelly now!!

Here is part of a note she posted today:

My initial goal had been to get the squares by the end of December, so that I could concentrate on just making the afghans (instead of the “behind the scenes” work of laminating, tagging, and sorting). At this point, I don’t see how that is going to happen.

I thought about dropping one of the camps … but that will be my last resort. Maybe I can teach those men who sit at the coffeehouse in the mornings how to crochet? Or, can I start pretending that this blog is a pledge drive for National Public Radio? Y’all know how they nag and nag and never shut up? I can bore you silly begging for squares … but it will make you switch to another station!

Here is what I have decided to do for now:

I’LL EXTEND THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING THE SQUARES UNTIL APRIL 30TH. But, PLEASE do not wait until the last minute to send them! If you have five squares finished … send them! It might help me finish an afghan.

The address again is :

Shelly Tucker

P.O. Box 2241

Denton, TX 76202

However, read the FAQ if you haven’t made squares before. Hopefully it will answer most of your questions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived