July Charity CAL 7/15 - 7/20

nicolep

Come one, come all to the July Charity CAL!!! :cheer

Please join us for our July long weekend charity blitz. Anyone is welcome to join. Any handmade items counts as long as it's going to a cause you want to support.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are quick to respond. Thanks for getting us started. I'm looking forward to this month. I'm off starting tomorrow through the 18th so hopefully I can get much accomplished. I think I will spend tomorrow searching through patterns and my stash.

:cheer:cheer :yay:yay :cheer:cheer

Hi, everyone! I'm so excited to be able to join in this month! The first half of my year has been hard with a serious injury to my arm, shoulder and chest, losing our dog of 13 years and almost losing my sister but my injuries are healing, I'm starting to think of a new pet and my sister is responding to chemo this time. Things are looking up and I'm ready to jump back in. I'm thinking about baby items for church giveaway and doilies for church sale.

Hello, of course I will join in. I actually need to make a few hats for a place that provides food, clothes and shelter for victims of crimes. They are having a "Jackets in July" collection. It's odd to think about warm clothes in Arizona in July, but I guess it's a bit like Christmas in July. And of course, I will keep up the work on mats and toys for the animal shelter.

Just a few more days until our charity weekend kicks off. :woo

I'll be working on the comfortghan I'm putting together. I have put edges on all of the squares I have so far. I'll do some more of that if I get more before the CAL starts. Then, I'll whip stitch those bad boys together and start the edging. This is going to be one good lookin' 'ghan. :hook

I am making squares for Share a Square at this link http://thiseclecticlife.com/share-a-square-2010-faq/ will these count?

Marci, these would definitely count! What a great project!

I'm planning on joining again this month. Not sure what I'll be doing at this point, but I'll figure it out by Thursday. :hook

I am making squares for Share a Square at this link http://thiseclecticlife.com/share-a-square-2010-faq/ will these count?

Thanks Marci for sharing the link. I had heard of Share a Square but didn't know any details. I think I will bookmark for next month as I already have plans for this month.

Thank you Nicole you are such a star!:hug I am so glad it got moved back to the second last weekend for this month. :cheerI would have joined in either weekend but I BADLY need a distraction :eek so this CAL coming up for this weekend is such a help!:clap Great to see so many people are hoping to join in! :D Hello everyone! :lolWelcome to anyone new this month (once you join in with one of these you will love them...):hook

Hi Marcy! :D Thanks for the information on Share a Square! :)I took part in this last time and we posted our squares from here and it was great (expensive postage but worth it to take part) I am so glad Shelley is doing this again she is such a lovely peson!:manyheart

Hi, Lindsay! :hi Nice to see you again. I've pretty much decided to set up my knitting machine and crank out a whole bunch of scarves on it. I can go much faster that way. I haven't had it set up since moving here, but now feels like the right time. I might even do some preemie blankets on it. We'll see how things go. I think that Kim could help make them on that, which would be fun for her. We'll see how it goes.

Hey Linda - what kind of knitting machine do you have? I just have the inexpesive Bond Sweater machine from Joann's. It's so frustrating to use. I bought it with the idea of "cranking out" blankets and then doing crochet borders on them. It has been exiled (under the bed). I am very excited to see what you do this weekend.

Not sure if I will be able to join in (I have finals to prepare for) but I will read along and see how much you all accomplish. :U Hopefully I can join in the next one. I do have a bunch of baby things made that are ready to donate as soon as I finish filling up a box. Anyone know of a good charity for baby things?

Hey Linda - what kind of knitting machine do you have? I just have the inexpesive Bond Sweater machine from Joann's. It's so frustrating to use. I bought it with the idea of "cranking out" blankets and then doing crochet borders on them. It has been exiled (under the bed). I am very excited to see what you do this weekend.

:lol I have done the same thing with mine.

Mine is a Studio, which I've had for around 30 years. It doesn't work as well as it used to as quite a few of the needles are bent, but it can still turn out some pretty things. I just pulled it out in preparation for setting it up. :lol Not as fast as it used to, but I can still make it work.

I wonder how many of those Bond machines are under beds all over America? Funny thing is, I don't see many used ones on Ebay. I guess people are like me and are determined to eventually make them work. Eventually. Maybe. (Hopefully?) :shrug

I wonder how many of those Bond machines are under beds all over America? Funny thing is, I don't see many used ones on Ebay. I guess people are like me and are determined to eventually make them work. Eventually. Maybe. (Hopefully?) :shrug

Could be. Mine came with 6 free lessons on how to use it. I wiped them out by working my way through the instruction book the weekend before the first lesson. The gal who sold me the machine just about fainted. She never had anybody that could do that before me. I learned to do a number of things with it that she couldn't do, too. :lol :lol :lol

Could be. Mine came with 6 free lessons on how to use it. I wiped them out by working my way through the instruction book the weekend before the first lesson. The gal who sold me the machine just about fainted. She never had anybody that could do that before me. I learned to do a number of things with it that she couldn't do, too. :lol :lol :lol

Mine came with lessons, too, but I can't get any of them done. No matter what I do, the yarn falls off the needles or gets stuck. Then, the darn thing cut my hand (still have scars). I cursed at and haven't touched it since. :rofl

Thanks for that Nicole. Now I don't feel like the only dope who can't get it to work. My husband laughs every time I drag it out. He'll say something like "swearing starts in 3...2...1"

And Linda, if I am EVER in Georgia, I will be knocking on your door!! I found a lady on a Yahoo forum who sells a DVD for $30 and is sure it will help me. Could be what I need or it could be a waste of $30. Decisions, decisions. I seriously do hope you make some stuff on it this weekend, because I'd really like to see what can be done.

Mine came with lessons, too, but I can't get any of them done. No matter what I do, the yarn falls off the needles or gets stuck. Then, the darn thing cut my hand (still have scars). I cursed at and haven't touched it since. :rofl

Oh, no!

Thanks for that Nicole. Now I don't feel like the only dope who can't get it to work. My husband laughs every time I drag it out. He'll say something like "swearing starts in 3...2...1"

And Linda, if I am EVER in Georgia, I will be knocking on your door!! I found a lady on a Yahoo forum who sells a DVD for $30 and is sure it will help me. Could be what I need or it could be a waste of $30. Decisions, decisions. I seriously do hope you make some stuff on it this weekend, because I'd really like to see what can be done.

If you're ever nearby, I'd be delighted to meet you and help you, if I can. I know a lot of people seem to have a lot harder time with written directions than I do. Most of the time I have no problem with it.

Almost bought myself one for Christmas last year. Since my shoulder was so painful and I could not knit at all thought it might be helpful. Talked myself out of it half way to the cash register and went back to put it on the shelf. Still walk by that shelf every time I go in the store though. So far will power is holding.

Well we start the CAL weekend tomorrow does everyone know what they are doing? :crochetingDo you have your yarn/project supplies all ready to go or are you still deciding?:think

I spent Sunday evening clearing out my stash of yarn and tidying up my project bags :cheerbut I did not know until ths eveinng what I would be doing this weekend.:blush

I am going to do some scrap granny squares nice simple ones to try to use up the bulging bag of scrap wool that I have... but I also have a charity scarf as a WIP and a blanket in pinks/greens that I am hoping will be a bit like a log cabin quilt when it is finished ( have 3 squares made and 6 started which need finishing.) So I am going to do a bit of work on all 3 of these projects this weekend!:hook Maybe!:lol

See you all tomorrow!:clap

Archived