melindascrochetbits

pretty baby blanket for varigated yarn

Question

One of my co workers asked me to make a baby blanket for her 1st grand daughter who is due to enter the world in December. She is buying the yarn which is going to be varigated. I am hoping to find a pattern that will look good in varigated yarn.From what she told me the blanket is going to be just 1 color of varigated yarn.Thanks for any help.

6 answers to this question

Can you use a white and make a Granny Square blanket with it?

I like to make an all-over shell pattern blanket with a baby varigated print; it reduces 'pooling' of colors, and makes for a nice gender neutral blanket.

thanks for your reply. Are you saying make a granny square with the varigated and border it with white? I never would have thought about doing something like that!Good idea. I am almost sure that I could but I will ask just to make sure it is ok.

Hmm how about the standard round ripple? With white mixed in.

I am working on a angel one from crochet world, but doing it in a plain blue.

My favorite pattern for variegated is as follows:

Make a chain with a multiple of 2 plus 1.

row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, * ch1, skip next ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across.

Row 2: Sc in first sc and in next ch1 sp, * ch1, skip next sc, sc in next ch sp; rep from * across, ending sc in last sc.

row 3: Sc in first sc, * ch1, skip next sc, sc in next ch sp; rep from * across.

Rep rows 2 and 3 for desired length.

With the variegated, this design forms its own designs. I made one once that formed diamonds and triangles!

I like adding a color with the variegated yarn too. Either white or pick one of the colors in the variegted. It breaks it up and just looks a lot better imo.

Even if you wanted to do a solid variegated afghan, a solid color border really sets it off, like this one: http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/freecountrybabyafghan.htm

I am partial to the round ripples for baby afghans. Like this: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474976910272