CGOA Masters Program

Has anyone completed the CGOA Masters of Crochet Program. I read about it in the May 25th Talking Crochet newsletter and was very intrigued. I would put my self now in the intermediate category, but find it very easy to learn new stitches and techniques and would like to improve. I also thought completion of this would be helpful if I wanted to sign up to teach crochet classes in community arts programs or the women's shelter. I would love to hear from anyone who has completed or attempted this program. Happy Independence Day!:think

I'm thinking that I would like to take on the program myself. Timing is the key. The swatches must be completed in 90 days. I would love to do it with others in the process. I'll keep in touch with this thread.

I did have the same thought, I would probably want to wait until after the first of the year. Otherwise the rush to finish all the gifts before the holidays would probably interfere. I think the idea of doing it as a group would be great. Have to review the rules again, though I don't recall any against it. Hopefully, we'll get some feedback from some one who has completed the program. Keep in touch.

I visited their website today. Here are some things that might affect when/how it would be done:

-right now the price is $75 for CGOA members. As of Nov 1, 2010 it goes up to $90. Non-member rates: $150 (does not go up)

-the program has to be completed within 3 months (extensions can be requested)

More information is here: http://www.crochet.org/pdfs/cgoa_catalog.pdf

the course description is on page 1, and the pricing is on page 3.

hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working my way through the program right now. It's not too complicated at this point - although I was hoping someone who has finished it would post here. There is one swatch that I'm just totally lost on. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I am enrolled in the new CGOA Master of Advanced Crochet Stitches & Techniques program and have submitted my portfolio for evaluation. I received word this morning that the reviewer is shipping it back to me. I expect the package to arrive this Friday or Saturday. I am anxious to read the comments and find out if I've passed or need to redo any of the swatches.

I think it would be a great idea if you all wanted to start a Crochet-Along for this when you're ready to get started with the program. :)

I am enrolled in the new CGOA Master of Advanced Crochet Stitches & Techniques program and have submitted my portfolio for evaluation. I received word this morning that the reviewer is shipping it back to me. I expect the package to arrive this Friday or Saturday. I am anxious to read the comments and find out if I've passed or need to redo any of the swatches.

They don't even tell you if you've passed or not - you have to wait for the portfolio to come back?? Ha...that's just mean!! <teasing>

Good luck on passing!!

Thanks, Pam!

Yep...have to wait until the package gets here to find out the results. Good thing priority mail will only take another day or two -- the suspense is killing me.

• 10 months later...

I did the program a few years back and now I review the portfolios for the Masters Program. All I can say is DO NOT USE DARK YARN OR THREAD! I can tell you to be your own worst critic and don't be afraid to do a swatch more than once. Make all the stitches consistent in size and the rows as well. Hid all ends using 6 inches of a tail and make sure they can't be seen as it is one of many things checked by the reviewer. Don't be afraid to use thread as the bullion stitch and a few other swatches are better viewed;) when done in thread.

GOOD LUCK AND happy crocheting!!!

• 2 months later...

I see most of the posts are pretty old in this thread. Anyone working on it now?

I ordered it a month or two ago, but have not really started yet (thank goodness they removed the 3 month deadline). But I am hoping to get going soon. Would love some company!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the Master's program for about 4 months - I am also thankful they removed the 3-month deadline. The first 15 swatches went pretty quickly, but now they are getting really complicated. I frogged #29 5 times before I was happy with it. I'm now on #31. I am also trying to do the CYC Instructor Certification program, but haven't gotten very far with it. How are you doing?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't even started. I was waiting until I took a Foundations class at the CLF crochet retreat this week so now I'm more confident to get started with those foundation stitches. :) I was looking at the CYC program, but have been teaching for so long not sure I see the point for myself.

Archived