Am I The Only One This Annoying?

Edit: Silly me, I accidently left out a few words in the thread title. I meant to say, Am I the only one that finds this annoying? Not, Am I the only one this annoying, LOL.

I hate that my metal hooks (and some of my plastic ones) all have something written on the thumb rest. Whether it's the hook size or brand name of the hook, there's always some irritating lettering that's etched into the side of the hook.

I know that it's necessary to print the hook size and brand on the hook for identification purposes, but why do they have to to etch these words on the very spot that the thumb is meant to be placed?:no

After crocheting for long periods of time, my thumb gets irritated due to the constant friction caused by rubbing against the raised letters on the thumb rest.

I bought some "comfort grips" for my hooks, but those were hard and felt rough like sand paper. They were about as irritating as the lettering.

I know some people use those pencil grips, but when I use metal or plastic hooks, it's always in the smaller sizes that a pencil grip would be too large to fit around without some kind of McGyver rig-up to keep it in place. I use bamboo in the larger sizes because they're always nice and smooth where the thumb rest is. It's a shame I can't find bamboo hooks in the smaller sizes I need to make tight little stitches for toys and such.

I tried using tape, but it's so humid here in southeast Texas that the adhesive gums up and the tape slips and slides.

Does anyone else find those etchings on their metal/plastic hooks as irritating as I do? How have you solved the issue?

i have some sets of bamboo hooks in several sizes for sale on my etsy!..

i prefer bamboo.. i too dont like the etched letters on my alum hooks

check out my etsy n see if the hooks are the sizes you would like

There aren't wood hooks for the smaller sizes she is referring to...smaller size hooks can't be made in wood because they will snap. I can't say I have this problem though. I don't notice the lettering. It might be the difference in how we hold our hooks.

Something I did on my steel hooks though is wrap the handle in clay that hardens when it dries. It gives me a little more control over my stitches. You can get a big bucket of it for $7 at a craft store. That won't slide around and it's a little bigger in one's hand. I make mine fit my personal grip, but it doesn't have to be done that way. Simply rolling it on the counter will make it "perfectly" round.

I hope that makes sense! :lol

There aren't wood hooks for the smaller sizes she is referring to...smaller size hooks can't be made in wood because they will snap.

I've made small wood hooks that don't snap. You just need a hard wood when making them!

Never noticed the letters and numbers, and I have logged a lot of crochet miles with my steel hooks of all sizes and my aluminum hooks. Mainly my steel hooks. I don't grip my hook it just sort of rests within my grip and I move my hand to move the hook as I desire. I use a knife hold. What sort of hold do you use?

I've never noticed it so I guess it doesn't bother me. I did buy some plastic hooks by Penn at Hancock's Fabrics. They have a smooth thumb rest, but they are about 3/8 of an inch shorter than my aluminum hooks and they poke the palm of my hand just below my pinky. It bothers me after a while. I use the knife hold.

I use any simple clay that air dries on all my small hooks.

That way I have a handle that fits my hand exactly. There are some tutorials on youtube about it.

Susan Bates has the steelies with a bamboo handle,I think Coats and Clarks carries them on their website. I have also seen them at AC Moores. So you might want to look there. Good luck. :) I too don't have a problem with the lettering and in fact had to look at one of my hooks to see what you were talking about!

As Fila said clay is great. If you didn't want to add clay to the whole end you could just place some clay on the part that rubs. Or you could find some pencil erasers that fit on the end of pencils put the hook through and slide it down over the part that bothers you.

Bamboo hooks at Joanns.com $3.49 and they go down to a size E

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd32039

I never knew Clover had the bamboo hooks in the exact size I need. Bates style hooks too, that's so perfect. Thank you.

I don't grip my hook it just sort of rests within my grip and I move my hand to move the hook as I desire. I use a knife hold. What sort of hold do you use?

I am a knife holder, as well. Now that I think about it, my thumb doesn't get irritated as much when using the larger aluminum hook sizes, I suppose it's because I have a comfortable loose grip when crocheting with larger hooks and a tight grip when I'm using the small hooks for making tiny little tight stitches. Using the small hooks irritates my thumb the most, it seems.

I'll get some clay and try that out, it sounds like it would work really well. Thanks y'all.

Somehow my post ended up in cyber space so here's the edited version:

I LOVE the bamboo handled hooks, I have a couple sets and spares. They come with a Bates head, run 1/2 size small and come in sized C - N

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Bamboo-Handle-Aluminum-Head-Crochet-Hooks-5-1-2--Knitting---Crochet_stcVVproductId47579089VVcatId539887VVviewprod.htm

They also make bamboo handled steel hooks now

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Bamboo-Handle-Steelite-Head-Crochet-Hooks-5-1-2--Knitting---Crochet_stcVVproductId82440354VVcatId539887VVviewprod.htm

I use the foam comfort cushions on my hooks and have a gelly pencil grip for the thumb rest. Both top edges (foam and gelly) are even. They're wonderful to work with and when you can loosen up your grip because what you're holding is bigger - it's so much better to work with.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Comfort-Cushion-For-Crochet-Hooks-Knitting---Crochet_stcVVproductId47579162VVcatId539887VVviewprod.htm

I had to go pick up my hook to see what you were referring to as I had never been bothered by the lettering. I can barely feel it on the Boye hooks thumb rests. I don't think I grip hard enough for it to ever bother me, and certainly not enough to irritate the skin. I use a pencil type grip. Maybe change the brand, or try to loosen your grip? Maybe try putting a layer of Nu-Skin on your thumb before you crochet? My husband used to use that if he had not played guitar for a long time and wanted to get it out again.

I have never had the lettering bother me when using the boye hooks, but I most use the Clover brand soft touch hooks. I love these!

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Takumi-Getaway-Touch-Crochet/dp/B0016N3PKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278642703&sr=8-1

They are especially great when you're using the small hooks, like for amigurumi or just anything where you need tight stitching. The other brands of smaller hooks always gave me hand cramps.

The other option in my mind would be to maybe cover the grips with polymer clay. You could color code them, make a design, etc. as well as engrave the hook size closer to the bottom where it won't bother you.

Crochet-hooks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I use Susan Bates bamboo handled silvalume hooks for the most part and I use a knife hold, I find that with the bamboo handle, I tend to rest my thumb right before the spot where the lettering is.

• 2 months later...

Archived