annmcc1976

What type of yarn should i use

Question

I been thinking about designing a Bra/Bikini top, As in hot weather all I wear is a Swimsuit top(thats more like a tank top) and a pair of thin material type shorts., only time i put on a shirt (tank top) is if if I go into a building. So i keep a shirt in my car for that purpose... otherwise i get overheated fast.

So now, with that said. I been looking at patterns to see how they are made.. but I have yet to come up with a pattern that will accomidte my bust size :blush, nor have i found a bikini top in a store to fit me:blush(Curse you mother nature). The only swim suite tops that fit me are the ones that look like tank tops.. and sports bra's. SOOOOOO I"m gonna ventur into making one up myself.. this way I can fit it to the "girls" till it's to my liking. and i have a hole how it will look in my head.

So what type of yarn do you suggest i use? sports weight? Cotten? Acrilic?

It will have to be something i can get wet as i'd like to possibly use it to swim (i dont an WILL NOT wear swim bottoms LOL.. I wear a pair of swim trunks). I am serriously getting sick of one pice suites!!!

so any suggestions on yarn is apreciated!. and Thanks..

OH and if anyone knows of a pattern for "big busted" Med body women I"d apreciate it!.

** i envy the stick skinny modles in 90% of the patterns.**

16 answers to this question

there used to be a cotton/elastic blend for just such a purpose. But the last time I heard about it was years ago, so I don't know if it even exists anymore. Maybe a cotton/nylon blend otherwise? nylon to keep it from stretching way out of shape when wet, cotton to keep it soft...just a thot. HTH FWIW

If you wrap your girls in acrylic it'll be like wrapping them in an afghan. Not what you want for a hot day.

I'd have to say a cotton or cotton blend light weight yarn...Acrylic will heat you to death...Let us know what you decide upon and Hope it all works out!!!

If you wrap your girls in acrylic it'll be like wrapping them in an afghan. Not what you want for a hot day.

yea I know but Hey Had to ask cause YOu never know!!!.. I had to giggle at what you said rose :). cause i was distracted by my girls (as in kids) and i forgot what post i was reading.. n im like .. wrap my girls in a afghan??? what?? then i looked and go OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH>.. my TWIN girls. hehehe. yea hubby looked at me n asked why im talkin bout "the twins" lol

but... a while back I posted about my yarn having babys.. and i had all that new yarn.. well I went thru the boxes i sorted it all in and I found some realy old yarn. it's called

Caron cotten Terry.. the lable also says comfortable fashionable cotten..

would this work? i think i found a pattern i like. using granny squares.. this way i can make it truly my own.. just fallow the pattrn as in the number of rounds to add to each square. then adjust it as needed.

I have quite a lot of it.. and was thinkin to test it make lil mini-kini (mini bikinis) for my 3 girls (as in daughters lol). to wear around the house..

whatcha think?

My neighbor has made her granddaughters bikinis and she used LusterSheen by RedHeart.

LI Roe

I looked at the website for the Granny square bikini top n skirt found here

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=78&d_id=29〈=us

SO the yarn it calls for wich is this Egypitan cotten

http://nordicmart.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=72

and instead of the colors it calls for im going to only to it in 3 colors..

off white, petrol and dark brown.

Rite now Have a HUGE cone of cotten yarn in a varigated blue/white/pink

im just doing it with this for fun!.. n i promiss the girls i'd make them one and their little sooooo it wont take much yarn!

Personally I'd be concerned about my nipples poking out of a granny type design or are you intending to line it? You can buy swimsuit lining and it will help with stability of the construction AND stop any bits poking through :blush

added a link to show you what I'm blathering on about *lol*

http://www.stretchtex.com.au/products-specs-colours.html

Edited by kookaloo_starr

Someone brought up this pattern on another forum and I thought of your question. It uses cotton-ease, and you could leave off the skirt part

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60485.html?r=1

The bra part is is all DC, should be pretty solid, but you could line it with fabric if it's a problem.

Do we get to see a pic of you wearing it when it's all done?

Do we get to see a pic of you wearing it when it's all done?

LOL LOL ... well this issssss a family friendy site. but I have my verison of this almost compleate.. and nothing in particular Pokes out lol. the way they have u assemble it.. the Centers of the granny are not located over the "prominant area" I just have a few more touches to add hehe

I have a free pattern on my site for a tank top like that. http://kristinaskrochet.50webs.com/warmparadisetanktop.htm

It's only for a "B" cup, but it might help get you started. Also, I have another top that is beaded, and very pretty, that is sooo close to being posted. It'll be a "for sale" pattern. You might want to keep an eye out for that.

I have designed/made a lot of bathing suits and tank tops through the years. For swim suits I always use 100% cotton thread #3 or #10. For tank tops you need a #3 or #10 yarn/thread that is of a smooth texture. It really needs to be a cotton blend or a rayon blend. Something like that. You don't really want a tight stitch pattern in the cups, because it will be too hot around the girls. Hdc is about the smallest you want it to be. I do a lot of cups with an open work stitch all the time. The best way to take care of the top being see through is to sew a lining in the cups. I will also be posting a video link on my website that will show the best way of sewing lining. I hope this helps.

LOL LOL ... well this issssss a family friendy site. but I have my verison of this almost compleate.. and nothing in particular Pokes out lol. the way they have u assemble it.. the Centers of the granny are not located over the "prominant area" I just have a few more touches to add hehe

as long as nothings poking out then :D

lol.. rose you have sure givin me a giggle today and i realy needed it... been a rough day, kids are all jacked up like they ate a bag o sugar.. n This mom is 2 squares short of a afghan at the moment

well here it is.. PIC added LOL.. it needs a lil more adjusting. i wan it to clasp in the back.. like a bra would. this one is in need of a few tweeks thou.. but it's cute

post-31502-135897545466_thumb.jpg

I have a free pattern on my site for a tank top like that. http://kristinaskrochet.50webs.com/warmparadisetanktop.htm

It's only for a "B" cup, but it might help get you started. Also, I have another top that is beaded, and very pretty, that is sooo close to being posted. It'll be a "for sale" pattern. You might want to keep an eye out for that.

I have designed/made a lot of bathing suits and tank tops through the years. For swim suits I always use 100% cotton thread #3 or #10. For tank tops you need a #3 or #10 yarn/thread that is of a smooth texture. It really needs to be a cotton blend or a rayon blend. Something like that. You don't really want a tight stitch pattern in the cups, because it will be too hot around the girls. Hdc is about the smallest you want it to be. I do a lot of cups with an open work stitch all the time. The best way to take care of the top being see through is to sew a lining in the cups. I will also be posting a video link on my website that will show the best way of sewing lining. I hope this helps.

its ben so long since i had my "girls" measured. that i wouldnt even truly know how big they are.. I'm thinkin they are in the low 40's.. but of course mabey my verison of my top will give a guestmate as to my girls gerth lol. i just know i can get into a xl sports bra with slight spillage lol (so sorry if that is TMI lol..