JessicaRenee520

Question about "how orignial is my pattern?"

I saw this post under the "free pattern section" of crochetville:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26327&highlight=fish

The initial post was made in April 2006, and as of yet, a pattern was never posted, even though it was in the "free Pattern Section". I do not want to step on the toes of the person who designed this purse, however,

I loved the idea of a fish purse for my daughter, and made the one that is shown in the photo. It was such a hit, I wrote up a pattern for it, as I have made 4 others already.

My question is: Can I post MY fish Purse pattern as a free pattern on the Ville without overstepping any boundry lines?

Thanks so much for the help.

Jess

P.S. I hope this was the right place to post this.

post-19233-135897543877_thumb.jpg

personally I think its that you were inspired whether because of your need for the purse, or something you saw.....since its not exactly the same I suppose its your pattern. Sometimes I think copyright is more of a moral issue than a legal question. Do you feel you stole the pattern or did you make it on your own....this discussion would be unending

If I understand you right, you're saying that you didn't see any written pattern instructions. If so, then I would say that you were inspired and wrote out your own pattern. I'm sure some of the ones who know more about this will comment, but I don't think that it's copying if you never saw the instructions to begin with.

It's NOT the same purse. You wrote your own instructions. At the very most it may fall into the derivative works category but I would call it your own pattern.

to me, it looks like you were inspired by the general shape of the purse. it doesn't look like you tried to count sttiches in the first one or really copy it. it seems the shapes are similar but not identical. my opinion would be that it would be OK to say you created an original pattern and note that you were inspired by the first one.

well, just off hand i can see 2 differences in the finished products. your fish is flatter on top, and the tail is more "swoopy" (the tips go wider and tip curves farther back). so i would say its not the same pattern.

sandy