Opinions on PDF Patterns

As someone who sells PDF patterns, clearly I don't mind the fact that they're not printed. I don't find it to be much of an inconvenience at all. I think the benefits of cheap price and choosing what you want outweigh the fact that you have to print it. Also when it comes to large pattern companies selling PDFs rather than in print I think it comes down to finding more income streams. Large patterns companies and pattern magazines are in the publishing business which is highly competitive - they are just modernising to keep up with the times and trying to find as many ways to reach their customers as possible. But I agree that there are some things I'd still want printed in a book - like a compilation of toys in the same style or something similar.

From a designer's perspective (and consumer actually) I think there's also a huge advantage of PDF patterns that hasn't been discussed. The ability to make a digital PDF is within everyone's grasp who can afford a computer and understand some basic word processing / photography skills. This means that a greater variety of patterns become available and quicker than they have in the past - good for consumers. And it's good for designers since they can be trendy and get their ideas out their quicker and independent of big publishers. It opens up the industry to a lot of inde, and small-scale creative talent.

I like books because, well, I like books (not just crochet) and I subscribe to "Crochet Today". Plus, there are so many free patterns out there, all the yarn company's have them on their websites and right here on Crochetville, that I've never paid for a pdf. That being said, if I saw one I really wanted and the price was reasonable, I would pay for it. I would never pay for a 125 page book, though.

I also prefer to have a leaflet or book to look through and relax as another poster mentioned. I think I spend more time browsing patterns than crocheting them. I know I do! LOL

How about the digital magazine subscriptions, do you all prefer that over a hard copy? I do have to say I like having the actual magazine.

More time browsing patterns than crocheting---yep, that would be me!

I'm not wild about digital magazines. I know it would save space, as I do have more magazines than storage space. the only digital magazine i have seen is Inside Crochet from the UK (I'm in US). When it originally came out (they've changed digital companies since then) I bought a digital issue for $4-5, and wasn't very happy w/ what I printed out of it, things were blurry---I'm sure that was due to my cheapo printer, and i wondered if it would have looked better if i used glossy paper. Anyway, when I saw the magazine at Barnes and Noble for $10.99 i still bought the paper magazine even tho I had the digital version already. So I guess I really do prefer the hard copy!

Here is just one more thing to consider. In this age of "computer travel" many of the things we used to get and send through the mail are now just a "click" away. Great for, instant shopping, keeping in touch, finding info and generally satisfying curiosity. However, the US Postal Service is in financial trouble because they are losing market share to the internet. I love going to my mailbox and finding a nice pile of letters, cards, magazines, patterns as well as parcels. Since I am also a letter writer I notice that many of my "letter friends" are changing to "e-mail friends" which I think is sad because one of the nicest gifts to receive is a letter. Anyway, IMHO the 6-day a week delivery will most probably change to a 5-day a week delivery before long simply because delivering to every household in America is costly especially if fewer people are actually sending things through the mail. What else will the USPS be forced to cut back on or raise prices of....shiver?

Before you change everything over to an internet society you might want to think about the impact it will make on the USPS. Right now I can send letters, parcels (flat rate) and books coast to coast for way less than it costs me for my internet service, computer updates, security downloads/subscriptions, exterior drive storage and software. Many of those costs are monthly, too.

I do like my computer, but I can still say I can live without it if I have to. I'm not sure I could ever live without the Postal Service....all those lovely YARN purchases and beautiful craft catalogs flowing into my mailbox....grinning. OK, I'm done prattling on now....LOL.

Thanks for letting me meander through my thoughts outloud.

My problem is that I can't change the size of the print in a pdf file. (There may be a way but I don't know it.) The other thing is I HATE the tiny columns that all the pdf's that I have seen present. If there were some way to change the layout of a pattern and allow me to increase the font size so that I can read it better that would be great. So for now, I will stick with the patterns that I can copy and print in the layout and font size suited to my taste.

I like pdf. patterns if they are for one pattern and I save a copy if the page I print out gets messed up. There are a lot of free pdf. patterns too I like this format as you can get the pattern anytime of the day and have it fast. If you have a printer that can print both sides it could be a cost savor too depending how many pages it could cost more for the paper and ink. I prefer small books or large books of patterns in hard copy. As far a password protected it becomes a hassle as I have forgotten the password for patterns and they become useless to me.

• 3 weeks later...

i prefer a pdf file. at home i work from the monitor, no printing and wasting paper. if it is a project i want to take with me i can print what i need and nothing more. then i can mark it up with notes and add it to a binder after. if i do have notes i save a file in the same folder with the same name as the pattern with the word "notes" added as a pdf so i have them in case i do not have a printed copy of the pattern with my notes.

As far a password protected it becomes a hassle as I have forgotten the password for patterns and they become useless to me.

for this i started saving the pattern with the password in the filename so i have it in case i forget.

I like both mediums. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Only occasionally has it bothered me to have to buy individual PDFs and that is if I feel the cost of the pattern is out of range. It is quite simple to download the PDF to your computer and have it there for whenever you need it. When I'm ready to crochet or knit, I print it up nicely on card stock so that it is more durable than the usual flimsy page and have it ready for me. If that copy is lost it can be reprinted for practically nothing. And I admit I like the instant gratification, too.

Having said all that, I also love my books and magazines. I can take them all over the house to browse at my leisure and it is fun, as some of the others have said, to watch for certain designers, but you can do that online as well. And... just like my PDFs I make photocopies of book patterns onto card stock to actually work from.

Honestly, I can't see why either medium should be chosen to the exclusion of the other! :wink

Archived