Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dawn128

Mock Seed Stitch Clarification

8 posts in this topic

I have seen old posts for the Aran Toggle Wrap that I am attempting to create but have not seen this specific problem addressed. My problem begins at Row 4. To preface it the pattern reads:

Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as st here and throughout), skip first

st, *Fpdc in next st, Bpdc in next st; repeat from * across to

last st; Fpdc around ch-2, turn – 148 sts.

Row 3: Ch 2, skip first st, *Bpdc in next st, Fpdc in next st,

repeat from * across to last st; Bpdc around ch-2, turn.

Row 4-17: Repeat Row 2-3 for Mock Seed st.

Does "Mock Seed" mean that rows 2 & 3 are repeating itself and that is considered the "Seed" stitch, or, is it the SC, DC stitch I have been reading about? I guess I don't understand why it says to repeat the rows if it is a different stitch.

I have never reached out for help before and usually would scrap the whole idea of the project however I love the look of this pattern and want to do it. I would appreciate any help.

Side Note: This site is amazing! I felt like I won something when I stumbled upon it.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will just go with that then. I truly appreciate the help. :-)

The pattern says that the repeat of rows 2 and 3 creates the mock seed stitch. So for this pattern it is the mock seed stitch not what you have read else where. There is no standardization of stitch names for stitch patterns and what is the seed st to one person may be called something else by another, so go with what the pattern says. At least that is what I would do.

That's what it sounds like to me, too - repeat rows two and three, and call it the Mock Seed stitch. Later the pattern may say to do the Mock Seed stitch without telling you how, and if it does, go back to rows two and three.

Good luck! :cheer

What everybody said above.

The sc, dc stitch is one of my favorite textured stitches--the crochet.about.com site calls it an up-down stitch.

I've seen a sc, ch-1 called a seed stitch and woven stitch. And there are about a gazillion ways to make a shell stitch...

I only wish I would've left all my stitches in place until AFTER I read the replies! lol Oh well, at least now I'm sure I'm doing it correctly. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond.