Front post treble crochet help

Keiyla

Question

I must be doing this wrong, and I don't know if it's me or the pattern instructions. I'm working on Leisure Arts Leaflet #3694, "48 Hour Afghans," pattern "Waterfall."

The instructions for the FPtr says:

YO twice; insert hook from front to back to front around post (vertical bar) of specified st, ( hook yarn and draw up a 1" loop, hook yarn and draw through two lps) twice; YO, draw through rem 2 lps; FPtr made.

From the way I read this, you're inserting the hook once around the post, drawing up a loop...but then how are you drawing up a 1" loop the second time? Isn't it just a YO and pull through? Otherwise, it would be inserting hook around post twice, which makes it VERY bulky, and not at all what the picture looks like. I've looked up the stitch in various places, and there seem to be several ways of doing it.

Thanks so much for any help!

13 answers to this question

What you are doing is just working the TR as normal but drawing up a long loop after the first step and at the same time, working around the stitch instead of into the top of it.

Do the YO twice, then imagine you are weaving with the hook and put it from the front to the back, behind the stitch and out again at the front. YO, draw up the long loop, *YO, draw through 2 loops,* until back to one loop on hook.

Can you tell me the row before wnd the next row and also what you are making?

It will help work out if there is an alternative. Seems like a very long stitch.

Colleen

i used to have trouble with this stitch but it is really easy as colleen says you just working "around" that stitch as if you were weaving, just imagine that the stitch you working into is a "pole"

hope this helps

I posted what I'm making, so I'm not sure what else it is you're asking? The stitches next to the FPtr are dc's, as are the ones below for the first row. After that the FP sticthes will be stacked on top of each other. It's made with Lion Homespun, with a J hook. (Pattern says K but I crochet too loosely for the guage, so down to J I go.)

I understand front post stitching, what I don't get is the part where it says, "( hook yarn and draw up a 1" loop, hook yarn and draw through two lps) twice;" because, technically, I would be drawing up two 1" loops, and that doesn't make any sense.

If it's just like a regular FPdc, except with a treble sticth, I'm ok. It's just that the patterns I normally read are very clear about what they want you to do twice, so I want to make sure I don't loop around the post twice, which is how it reads.

You've got it right, really -

You're only drawing up one 1" loop. Then you yo and draw thru two loops on your hook, yo and draw thru two more loops on hook. Make sense?

It's actually pretty simple, just easy to overthink.

If it's just like a regular FPdc, except with a treble sticth, I'm ok.

That's just what it is. :)

I've got problems with this stitch too. I'm working on a sampler afghan, and one square is for treble cables. I don't know. I think there's a mistake in the pattern. In the third row, it says to do a front post treble in the second row after the single crochet row. the only thing is, that the single crochet row is the second row. there's only one row before it. So, i'm thinking that I need to make another row. I've been looking at the picture, and it looks like there's two stitches around eachother, to make it look kind of twisted. maybe that will happen when I continue with the pattern.

Anyone have any ideas on this? treble crochet cable?

butterfly_girl:scrachin :shrug:huh

I've got problems with this stitch too. I'm working on a sampler afghan, and one square is for treble cables. I don't know. I think there's a mistake in the pattern. In the third row, it says to do a front post treble in the second row after the single crochet row. the only thing is, that the single crochet row is the second row. there's only one row before it. So, i'm thinking that I need to make another row. I've been looking at the picture, and it looks like there's two stitches around eachother, to make it look kind of twisted. maybe that will happen when I continue with the pattern.

Anyone have any ideas on this? treble crochet cable?

butterfly_girl:scrachin :shrug:huh

Sometimes the Front Post stitch is done over a row so you are working around the stitch one row down, then you miss the stitches behind the ones you have just done.

This may be what you need to do in this case.

Have fun.

Colleen.

I am glad I found this thread! I am a new crocheter and the scarf that I am considering for my next project has both front and back post stitiches. I understand this in theory... but it is good to know some help/explanations exist out there! I guess I am wondering now if I should save this scarf for later, when I am a bit more experienced? :scrachin Any thoughts?

I am glad I found this thread! I am a new crocheter and the scarf that I am considering for my next project has both front and back post stitiches. I understand this in theory... but it is good to know some help/explanations exist out there! I guess I am wondering now if I should save this scarf for later, when I am a bit more experienced? :scrachin Any thoughts?
The stitch itself is not complicated, it's just about where you put the hook, and besides, you see right away the result, so if you made a mistake, it will scream to your eyes

:lol If you're familiar with double and treble crochet, front and back posts won't be a problem!

:hook

Thanks. I think I talked myself into making that scarf for my next next project, though. I am just going to get a bit more confidence with my double and treble crochets first! ;)

The stitch itself is not complicated, it's just about where you put the hook, and besides, you see right away the result, so if you made a mistake, it will scream to your eyes

:lol If you're familiar with double and treble crochet, front and back posts won't be a problem!

:hook

http://www.jpfun.com/reference/stitches/fpbpd.shtml here is a tutorial that might help. is really fairly easy to make this stitch. if you go to here,http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/stitches.php rachel has pretty much most stitches that you can see how they are done. hope that helps:hug :hug

Archived