Mary Maxim Sunflower Doily ERRORS

kathome

Question

In case any of you are considering making the free Mary Maxim Sunflower doily you should know that rounds 15, 16 and 17 are riddled with errors. Also, Rounds 23 and 24 should not exist at all!!

Here's the "fix" for Rounds 15, 16 and 17.

Round 15:

Sl st into next dc, ch 3, dc in each of next 7 dc *dc2tog, ch 4, dc in next dc, ch 4, dc2tog, dc in next dc, dc2tog, ch 4, 5 dc in next FPdc, ch 4, dc2tog, dc in next dc, dc2tog, ch 4, dc in next dc, ch 4, dc2tog, dc in each of next 7 dc; rep from * round omitting last dc2tog and 9 dc, join.

Round 16:

Sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in each of next 5 dc, *dc2tog, [ch 3, dc in next ch sp], twice, ch 3, dc3tog, ch 3, 2dc in the next dc, 1 dc in next 3dc, 2dc in next dc, ch 3, dc3tog, [ch 3, dc in next ch sp] twice, ch 3, dc2tog, dc in each of the next 5 dc; rep from * around omitting last dc2tog and 5 dc. Join

Round 17:

Sl st into next dc, ch 3, dc in each of the next 3 dc, *dc2tog, ch 3, [dc in next ch sp, ch 3] 4 times, dc2tog, dc in each of the next 3 dc, dc2tog, ch3, [dc in next ch sp, ch 3] 4 times, dc2tog, dc in each of the next 3 dc; rep from* around omitting last dc2tog and 3 dc. Join

TOTALLY OMIT rounds 23 and 24.

Good luck.

6 answers to this question

Hi Karen,

I hope you can explain this pattern to me.

I'm not understanding round 9 where it says to omit the next 17 dc. This doesn't sound or look right. I did it that way but the last 17 dc's just hang there undone and it doesn't look right at all.

Help! :think

You are not actually omitting the stitches. It's just kind of worded weird. What you are doing is ending the last repeat just before the 17 dc because you worked the beg ch 3 and 16 dc at the beginning of the round.

This is the pattern repeat as written:

*ch 2, Fpdc around next FPdc, [ch 2, FPdc around same FPdc] twice and working each FPdc below each one by turning your work sideways, ch 2, dc in each of next 17 dc.

You repeat that around, but then on the last repeat you would

*ch 2, Fpdc around next FPdc, [ch 2, FPdc around same FPdc] twice and working each FPdc below each one by turning your work sideways, ch 2, join with sl st to beg ch 3.

It is worthless to contact Mary Maxim with continuous errors in patterns. I have been told more than twice that they have sold many patterns and no one has complained of errors. Now that just ain't right. The pineapple center afghan kit that they keep selling is also riddled with errors and MM does not seem to care! I purchase only two of their afghan kits and both had lots of errors - no more. I have been in the area of their store twice and refused to go and waist funds buying from a company that doesn't care about their own mistakes! And furthermore why should be give them the corrections in their patterns for free & they will profit from our work.

I've heard from others who thought Mary Maxim staff were helpful when encountering problems with their patterns. I imagine not all their staff actually have the skills to help people with problems.

I would suggest continuing to call, asking to be put in touch with someone who can provide pattern assistance or put you in touch with the designer of a particular pattern. Hopefully, you'll be able to get in touch with someone who can help.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful!!!

You are not actually omitting the stitches. It's just kind of worded weird. What you are doing is ending the last repeat just before the 17 dc because you worked the beg ch 3 and 16 dc at the beginning of the round.

This is the pattern repeat as written:

*ch 2, Fpdc around next FPdc, [ch 2, FPdc around same FPdc] twice and working each FPdc below each one by turning your work sideways, ch 2, dc in each of next 17 dc.

You repeat that around, but then on the last repeat you would

*ch 2, Fpdc around next FPdc, [ch 2, FPdc around same FPdc] twice and working each FPdc below each one by turning your work sideways, ch 2, join with sl st to beg ch 3.

Archived