Nylon handbag

Fanihi

This was my first experiment with nylon and I'm addicted! I can only find neutral colors locally and just had to order some of the brighter colors online. This bag is about large enough to hold a normal sized paper back book. It's all made in one piece, which I love. No seams to sew and the less ends to weave in, the better! There are a few rows of stitches that spike down into a stitch a few rows below. It makes them stick out like a puff, but made differently.

I've also found out that nylon is a pain to photograph.

72805f.jpg

This is my second try at nylon. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish the top, so it sits uncompleted for now. It's much larger than the black bag. I'm leaning towards putting a shoulder strap on it.

72805e.jpg

I used J&P Coats Crochet Nylon. I can find it in black or white at Walmart. At another store, I've found it in natural, beige, and navy. Online, I ordered it from Herrschner's. They have red, pink, green, light blue, dark brown, and the neutrals. It's kind of hard to find, but if you search for the name, it will come up.

Thanks for the compliments. No pattern was used for either of these.

really nice work Fanihi. i love the stitches in the second bag--looks really similiar to a bikini i've been wanting to make. love the colors too. a bamboo clutch would look great on that second bag. ~*

Cool Bags! I've noticed the nylon yarn at WM, but they've only had it in white(not a color that I'd want to make a purse). I will definitely have to get some and try it! Thanks for sharing!

Oh I love those bags! Both of them! We have a new HL opening tomorrow & I just received some birthday money--guess where some of it is going? LOL---yes, nylon yarn! I have never crocheted nylon, is it hard on your hands?

Is nylon stronger than your basic cotton or acrylic? I have been wanting to make my sister a new messanger bag but she uses her current one to lug around her laptop and I'm not so confident about what to use.

This was my first experiment with nylon and I'm addicted! I can only find neutral colors locally and just had to order some of the brighter colors online. This bag is about large enough to hold a normal sized paper back book. It's all made in one piece, which I love. No seams to sew and the less ends to weave in, the better! There are a few rows of stitches that spike down into a stitch a few rows below. It makes them stick out like a puff, but made differently.

Where did you get the pattern? Our Walmart has the nylon in black and white. How many tubes did you use?

Where did you get the pattern? Our Walmart has the nylon in black and white. How many tubes did you use?

I didn't have a pattern. For the black bag, I just made a rectangle of sc for the bottom. After that was about as big as I wanted, I just started sc around the rectangle, without adding any so it would form a tube. I found the "bumpy" stitches in one of my many stitch books and just did a few rows of those. The handle, I just made a chain a little longer than the st I was skipping. The next time around, I just sc into that chain to connect the handle to the bag.

The black bag took 1.5 tubes.

The other bag currently uses around 1.5 of the darker beige and 1 of the lighter. The bottom of the bag is the darker beige.

Archived