Anyone in England UK???

I'm in Leeds in Yorkshire, but from Birmingham originally and lived a few places in between. Only been in Leeds a year but think I'm up to speed with the local wool shops now - there's a few mills left in this part of the country too, keeping an eye open for their open days :)

Good to hear from all of you in the UK!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey English gang!!! I was wondering if maybe we could arrange an English Secret Crochet Pal thing? It's not cheap to post to and from the US and I would sooo love to get some more crochet pals that I can swap ideas and crochet items with :) Whattaya think?

Hey English gang!!! I was wondering if maybe we could arrange an English Secret Crochet Pal thing? It's not cheap to post to and from the US and I would sooo love to get some more crochet pals that I can swap ideas and crochet items with :) Whattaya think?

I think it's a great idea :cheer

Hi, i'm in bradford, i'm glad to see other yorkshire puddings online, i feel a bit like the deviant naughty child only having one hook at my knitting group. Does anyone else find the patterns in british mags uninspiring! If your looking for mill shops in yorkshire Textere yarns in this fair city is great and they have free coffee as well as a penny a gram section just keep your credit card away from the posh designer bit. Quite a few people i know, myself included have picked up great bargins in the local charity shops, just got 400g of king cole's pretend angora for £1 !!!!, was meant to be using up what i have before buying anymore but who can resist a deal like that. Please feel welcome to get in touch.

On the subject of barnsley slang my old housemate at uni ( from said city) when asked what he was doing used to say he was catting whilt kettle boiled, i think this is something to do with procreation but have always been unsure. can anyone enlighten me.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my best friends lives in Ely and I will be visiting in June!

Hello Melissa

Ely's a small place, but lovely to visit. You'll have to let me know nearer the time when you are likely to be around for a coffee 'n crochet session - if you have the time/inclination for such things during your stay. :) Due to having my baby daughter with me all the time, I don't often get to indulge the crochet element (or the coffee element, for that matter ... it tends to go cold!) but I always make sure I've got a project stuffed in the bottom of the pushchair when we go out, just in case ...

Hello Melissa

Ely's a small place, but lovely to visit. You'll have to let me know nearer the time when you are likely to be around for a coffee 'n crochet session - if you have the time/inclination for such things during your stay. :) Due to having my baby daughter with me all the time, I don't often get to indulge the crochet element (or the coffee element, for that matter ... it tends to go cold!) but I always make sure I've got a project stuffed in the bottom of the pushchair when we go out, just in case ...

My friend will be working some of the days I will be there so I will just be hanging around the house or walking around Ely. I understand there's a wonderful coffee shop there - sounds like it's true! I would love to meet you for coffee and some crochet. Any yarn shops nearby?:drool

I get more and more excited each day! YAY!! I'm going to England!

Me TOO! I'm in England too, Thame near Oxford and absolutely LOVE crochet! Been at crochetville since October 2005 I think...?

My blog keeps changing addresses but the latest is www.merrysusan.blogspot.com and there are links to the other ones...

I also have a few patterns on there - all in UK yarns- a shrug and a beanie hat so far....:clap:lol

I plan to pay a short visit to Oxfordshire, too. I will be going to Bicester - close by?

I will just be hanging around the house or walking around Ely. I understand there's a wonderful coffee shop there - sounds like it's true! I would love to meet you for coffee and some crochet. Any yarn shops nearby?

Sadly there's only one tiny yarn shop in Ely - but Cambridge has a couple of good places and that's only a 15min train ride away.

The coffee shops in Ely are the usual fare (Starbucks, Costa) but Peacock's Tea Room was recently voted the best in the country by the British Tea Council, and is a must-visit!

Sadly there's only one tiny yarn shop in Ely - but Cambridge has a couple of good places and that's only a 15min train ride away.
I'll be glad to visit the small one in Ely. My friend works in Cambridge so that won't be problem, either.

The coffee shops in Ely are the usual fare (Starbucks, Costa) but Peacock's Tea Room was recently voted the best in the country by the British Tea Council, and is a must-visit!
Don't worry. I will visit the tea room. A good English cuppa will be a good thing to this American palate. However, as a southern American, iced tea is something I'll have to make myself during my visit.

• 5 weeks later...

Another Brit here! Good to see a couple of others from East Anglia, thought I was the only one here to crochet!! Any other "locals" around?

Helloooooooo - is anyone there? :emptymail:scared I can't be the on crocheter left in the UK............can I :eek

:sighI feel so alone!!

You're not alone. :) Not sure how "local" I am to you. You'd think after 6 years of living in the UK, I'd have a better idea of where places are. lol

Hello Jen :waving

Depends where you are in Essex but prob not much more than an hour away. Glad there's another brit out there!!

Gosh, you guys are making me miss the short time I spent in Ely back in 2002! It really is a lovely town with a stunning cathedral, and some neat thrift stores. I bought a 1909 edition of Shakespeare's collected works for a quid!

Hey you Essex ladies! I'm an Essex girl too...! I'm from Tiptree/Colchester, but live in Ipswich now. And did a UK swap ever get underway? I'd be really interested in it! :D

Archived