Crochet Toy Design Trends

I've been noticing a trend lately among toy designers. Mainly in crochet, but I have a suspicion that it extends to knit toy designers as well. Well, let's make that two trends.

First off, everything is now amigurumi. I love amigurumi, it is adorable and the Japanese influence is amazing. But lately I've been noticing more and more designers that call their toys amigurumi when they don't have a Japanese style, rather they are just small-sized toys. What do you think about this? Personally I think they should have a Japanese/cartoon feel to them if they are going to be called amigurumi. Then again, I am finding myself adding a "amigurumi" tag to my patterns in my Etsy shop just cause I know people are searching for toys that way. Maybe I'm a little bit of a hypocrite :) Anyone else wonder about this? I'd like to see more realistic toys.

Secondly, and more appropriate to this section is that many toys are getting simpler in their design. It seems like people are using simpler stitches –in crochet using single crochet only in many cases –and no yarn colour changes. This makes me sad :( There are so many things you can achieve in a toy by adding a little bit of embroidery, using different textured yarn (shiny and dull for example), and adding some extra techniques like latch hooking. Is this average crocheter/knitter scared of these things? I don't think so. Most crafters are avid in more than one skill. So why are the patterns being simplified?

nattypatcrochet

I found this on Wikipedia: "The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll." So my take is amigurumi is just a crochet/knitt stuffed doll. Size and influence don't seem to matter if you take the translation literally.

As for simplicity, I tend to buy the more detailed patterns, not just the ones made of a couple round pieces. I want my finished piece to look like what its suppose to be and not have to tell someone what it is. :lol

:turtle:vheart

I also think you can call any small crocheted doll/animal by the amigurumi label. It is a new word this go around for me though. I restarted crocheting last fall and was surprised by the word being on every crochet site. I had never heard of it when I crocheted back in the 90's and before.

As for detailed vs simple patterns -- I think both are needed. Many children are crocheting from the amigurumi patterns as well as beginner crocheters. They may need a simple pattern to start out with. I like some detail but I am often dissuaded from using a pattern that requires too many different skills. I crochet but do not knit, latch hook, or do more than a very basic embroidery. I think I could do those crafts but have not yet and do not have the tools required. I don't buy patterns that are too simple though. If I can see it being done without a pattern, I won't spend the money.

I will occasionally buy a very detailed pattern just because it is something I want to do for a special person or occasion or even to add to my pattern collection where it may never actually be used. But usually I pick intermediate and below because they are relaxing, restful and provide a kind of therapy. I like to crochet when I watch TV. You can't do that if the pattern requires constant counting, color changing, and multiple disciplines. I think every level from the simplest to the most complicated has its purpose and a target market that will find it useful. But I think if you want to maximize sales, the middle road might do best. Of course originality will win no matter what! If I have never seen anything like it, I am likely to buy!

I've been noticing a trend lately among toy designers. Mainly in crochet, but I have a suspicion that it extends to knit toy designers as well. Well, let's make that two trends.

First off, everything is now amigurumi. I love amigurumi, it is adorable and the Japanese influence is amazing. But lately I've been noticing more and more designers that call their toys amigurumi when they don't have a Japanese style, rather they are just small-sized toys. What do you think about this? Personally I think they should have a Japanese/cartoon feel to them if they are going to be called amigurumi. Then again, I am finding myself adding a "amigurumi" tag to my patterns in my Etsy shop just cause I know people are searching for toys that way. Maybe I'm a little bit of a hypocrite :) Anyone else wonder about this? I'd like to see more realistic toys.

Secondly, and more appropriate to this section is that many toys are getting simpler in their design. It seems like people are using simpler stitches –in crochet using single crochet only in many cases –and no yarn colour changes. This makes me sad :( There are so many things you can achieve in a toy by adding a little bit of embroidery, using different textured yarn (shiny and dull for example), and adding some extra techniques like latch hooking. Is this average crocheter/knitter scared of these things? I don't think so. Most crafters are avid in more than one skill. So why are the patterns being simplified?

nattypatcrochet

Before reading too many further comments Im going to jump in the boat that will probably get me tore apart :) So here is my two cents.

I think this desire for everything to have asian/japanese names (tawashi and arugurami are two examples) is annoying.

As someone said, its just a japanese name for knitted/crocheted toy.

It doesnt even mean crocheted alone.

They are toys and scrubbies. Same thing they have been for the 20+ years I've been making them (and im sure longer for others).

Naming them something different is just popular right now and frankly I think it's silly. It too will pass Im sure.

And I also agree, the style of toys right now is all sc with very little color changes, or style to them. They are circles or squares or orbs etc. With little personality what so ever and no creativity. It saddens me to see the creativity going down hill.

It's what people like right now.

I think this desire for everything to have asian/japanese names (tawashi and arugurami are two examples) is annoying.

But they are so much fun to say! ;):rofl

:turtle:vheart

Not commenting on the design issue, just the language: tawashi and amigurumi are terms that have become global. Not everyone on the internet is in the US or other English speaking countries. You will find the word amigurumi in a blog that is otherwise completely in another language. So, for example a German speaking person looking for a knitted/crocheted toy will probably search Spielzeug, then amigurumi, and 'toy' last if at all.

I only call them ami because that's what's in when you're a designer you use what will sell. And as far as using single crochet I think that most toys look best using single crochet otherwise you might see the stuffing and I don't care for that look at all.There are alot of people who want simple designs that's what sells the most in my shop. I've designed things that are more complicated and honestly it seems like a waste of time since not many of those designs sell.This is only based on what I've seen and had experience within my own shop.There are a nice mixture as far as I've seen of complicated and simple designs out there if you're looking for complicated you will find it if you look. I don't knock anyone for putting out a simple patterns. What does bother me are those who basically copy everyone elses work and that includes having a shop full or copyrighted character patterns.

Not commenting on the design issue, just the language: tawashi and amigurumi are terms that have become global. Not everyone on the internet is in the US or other English speaking countries. You will find the word amigurumi in a blog that is otherwise completely in another language. So, for example a German speaking person looking for a knitted/crocheted toy will probably search Spielzeug, then amigurumi, and 'toy' last if at all.

Id disagree. I think it's purely about a fad at the moment. Since it's only been the past few years. You don't do anything global in crafting in that short of a period of time.

I really think the trend to label toys as amigurumi might be, as someone suggested in a Ravelry forum, to do with searching for items to get them sold, ie. it's a popular buzz word now so everyone uses it.

I'm glad that you too are looking for patterns with a little more detail. There are some toys that I like with rounded, simple design, but I also like a little more design than that. If I wanted a plain toy I'd just make it up myself :)

Chiscrochetcrazy, I totally agree on the copywrited characters! I hate that!

I have to say that I disagree about using different type of stitches. Lots of stitches can't be used due to stuffing show through - like double crochets and trebles - but you can do popcorns and puff stitches. I did a Cocker Spaniel with a Puff stitch that works:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48406193/maggie-the-cocker-crochet-pattern

You might want to give it a try! A little experimenting is always good :)

I don't think it really matters what we call them, they are what they are. Yes, they are trendy, but the really popular and well established designers on Etsy and elsewhere are not popular for their simplistic styles and inability to think outside of the box. In all honesty, the pamplets and books that are on the market are geared toward the masses. They can't put out books that feature such complexity as Delicious Crochet's patterns (one very unique and talented designer). People might buy them, but many would get frustrated with the fact that they would not acheive the same results. Most books that I have read and used do not offer such detailed pictures, and of course help from the designer themself. I belong to a few different crochet/crafting forums and I can honestly say that people are intimidated by crochet toys/amis. I don't think toys have changed that much as far as stitches being used. It is my opinion that there are much cuter patterns than long ago, because it is so popular and people are being forced to think outside of the box (not to mention preferences change generation to generation). You can acheive amazing results when manipulating those simple stitches. I have designed a few patterns, but I prefer the simplistic look and I think other people enjoy simplicity. Crochet in general is trendy, though not as much as knitting, so you have to expect trends to pass through. I for one am embracing it and enjoying it while it lasts. :hook

Chiscrochetcrazy, I totally agree on the copywrited characters! I hate that!

Let's pretend your young child or grandchild was totally into elmo. You found an elmo doll and blanket set. Would you refuse to do it because it wasn't approved by the parent company even if said child had her heart set on it?

I think the question of 'Would you never make a copyrighted design?' is right up there with 'Would you never drive over the posted speed limit?'

The ville rules are stricter than actual copyright and trademark laws.

Id disagree. I think it's purely about a fad at the moment. Since it's only been the past few years. You don't do anything global in crafting in that short of a period of time.

With so many people around the world using the internet it happens a lot faster now than it did 20 or 50 years ago.

I have stuffed animals that my Grandmother made me out of dcs and I believe an F hook. The stuffing has never come out nor shown thru.

To me - ami's are the japanese style patterns. The rest are toys. I'm not a toy maker but when I see the word ami I know it's a stuffed toy.

It doesn't really matter what we think about it - it's taken on a life of it's own.

The truth is I understand making a pattern for a copyrighted character But I do not agree with someone who's shop is full of copyrighted character patterns. My issue is when that is all they sell or mostly all they sell.

I understood the term amigirumi toys, were the ones that you work in a continuious round, without joining in each round. In otherwords it is work in a spiral.

I just wanted to add I HATE doing yarn color changes :lol When I do it I can never get it to look right maybe I'm just being picky.I personally prefer to use sc in most of my designs with some hdc's and dc's added in for shape and such.I've used shells and other such stitches for dolls clothing.I think it's all a matter of preference and because someone designs something using simple stitches does not mean it's not a new and innovative design.I've seen lots of simple simple designed toys that I would have never thought of making that are fabulous !! I believe imagination is extremely important in design and that in itself is really what makes or breaks a great original design.

Personally I think they should have a Japanese/cartoon feel to them if they are going to be called amigurumi...

Are you talking about Japanese Anime? Amigurumi are not meant to be fashioned after cartoon characters, Japanese or otherwise.

Just as with anything in life, things evolve and often become completely different than the original. Imagine if no one sought to evolve the television. Yes, we would all still be able to watch our favorite shows, but they would be in black & white and the set would weight a ton instead of the lightweight flat screens we have now. As someone else said, Amigurumi has taken on a life of its own. I do find this to be true. It is what we have made it. Designers and inventors have always tried to improve upon current trends, and I for one hope they don't stop. How boring would life be if they did?

...Most crafters are avid in more than one skill. So why are the patterns being simplified?

I think it would be fair to say that many crafters are skilled in more than one craft, but I wouldn't go so far as to say most. And trying to guess what those skills are is the challenge. When designing a pattern you want to appeal to as many people as possible. By including two or more crafts in your project you are severely limiting the number of people who are likely to have the knowlege to complete the project as designed.

That being said, I don't believe that patterns are "being simplified" across the board. There are many patterns being published every day (both professionally and via blog posts, etsy, etc..) that are of many different skill levels. Additionally, all skill levels are in demand. There are always people just learning to crochet, so easy, well written, beginner level patterns are always in demand. I think it's wonderful that designers recognize this and are catering to that audience. It's a great way to keep people interested in the craft, and at the same time give them a good grasp on the basics so that they might go on to learn more advanced techniques. And perhaps down the road, even become a popular designer themself.

The truth is I understand making a pattern for a copyrighted character But I do not agree with someone who's shop is full of copyrighted character patterns. My issue is when that is all they sell or mostly all they sell.

You and me both.

= Additionally, all skill levels are in demand. There are always people just learning to crochet, so easy, well written, beginner level patterns are always in demand. I think it's wonderful that designers recognize this and are catering to that audience.

Almoreland, this is brilliant. I completely agree with you on this point. it is incredibly important to have various patterns available at all different skill levels. I struggle to think of what would have happened if I jumped directly into a crochet cable sweater before doing a granny square. Ohhh! That would be madness! I think the next patterns I design will be on the simpler side. Maybe I'll be able to find that happy medium I was lamenting…*ease of making but not looking visually too boring. Now it's time to find some inspiration :)

With regards to the Amigurumi defintion, I guess I jumped in trying to define what an "amigurumi" pattern really is a little too early. I find it so strange that's is so commonly used and clearly misunderstood. People have commented that it's the technique of working in rounds, I assumed it had to have a Japanese influence (I guess that's my art history training coming through trying to figure it out), and some say it's about simplicity and cuteness. It really is amazing to me that it's used so frequently and they're isn't a definition that's understood by all. Then again, maybe that's not a problem. As you said, continual invention and change are very important in all creative worlds whether, crochet, graphic design, art, fashion, etc. I guess it's a flexible term. But hey, at least now I know I can actually call my patterns amigurumi. So cheers to learning something :) !

You don't do anything global in crafting in that short of a period of time.

With the advent of the internet being available in many places globally I don't know if that is true anymore. Time on this one will tell either way.

I only call them ami because that's what's in when you're a designer you use what will sell. And as far as using single crochet I think that most toys look best using single crochet otherwise you might see the stuffing and I don't care for that look at all.

Being a designer myself, I totally agree. You go with the flow and create something that looks nice. I think that being able to see the stuffing totally spoils the look of what you are creating.

Besides, there is a lot you can do with sc, its just the way you use it. All of my puppets patterns are sc but involve colour change and working other pieces in to create a more complicated look.

What does bother me are those who basically copy everyone elses work and that includes having a shop full or copyrighted character patterns.

I am surprised they get away with this. When I created my Zoo puppets, the were aimed at "Madagascar". But I based the design on the original animals, not the ones from the film, and called them different names. I did the same with my Sea puppets. No copyright broken there even though I use the popularity of the films to my advantage.

However, I wouldn't dream of do Micky Mouse!

Yes I think now Amigurumi is any crocheted toy or knitted toy maybe it started as something else but now if it's knitted or crocheted and a toy it's Ami :)

It would appear so. To be honest, I don't much like them. I like things to look like what I am trying to create.

Archived