Katy_Ravensong

Rainbow Butterfly Mobile

Katy’s Rainbow Butterfly Mobile

©2007

(Please excuse my terrible drawing skills in the folding diagram. Art talent skipped me and my son got it all :lol)

Materials:

Worsted weight yarn – small amounts of black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, & violet (or colors of your choice)

Size I and size J crochet hooks

8 pipe cleaners (4 long ones cut in half)

Lid from plastic bowl (such as 3 lb Shedd’s Spread, etc.) or an 8” metal ring. If using the lid, carefully cut it so that you can just use the rim.

Small plastic ring or metal key ring

Butterflies: make 1 large (black & white or your choice of colors). Make 7 smaller butterflies ~ 1 each of the rainbow colors.

DIRECTIONS:

BUTTERFLIES: (I made the large butterfly with one round of white and two of black. The smaller ones are all made of one color.)

Chain 6, join with sl st to form ring.

RND 1: Ch 3, 17 dc in ring. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 3 (18 dc counting ch-3 as 1 dc)

RND 2: Ch 3, 5 dc in same st as joining, *ch 3, sk nxt 2 dc, 6 dc in nxt dc. Repeat from * around, ending w/ ch 3, sk last 2 dc, join w/ sl st to top of beg ch 3.

RND 3: Ch 1, sl to in nxt 2 dc, *sc between 3rd and 4th dc of last 6-dc group, 10 dc in ch-3 sp. Repeat from * around, ending with sc between 3rd & 4th dc of last 6-dc group. Sl st in top of beg sc. Break off & fasten.

Fold by diagram. Wrap pipe cleaner around middle & twist. If you wish, instead of using pipe cleaners, you can crochet a tie. To do so, just chain 21, break off & fasten and tie around middle of butterfly.

MOBILE:

RND 1: SC over large ring with yarn until ring is well covered (maybe 140-150 sc). Join with sl st to beg sc.

RND 2: sl st in 1st st, *dc in next 4, sl st in next. Repeat from * around. Sl st to join. Fasten off.

SMALL RING: SC over ring to cover. Join. Break off and fasten.

HANGERS:

OPTION 1: All butterflies hang at same height: leaving 4” tail, chain 40, leave 6” tail. Large butterfly goes in center. The 4” tail is to attach the hanger to the small ring. The 6” tail is to attach the butterfly to the hanger.

OPTION 2: Butterflies hang in spiral. Each is a bit longer than the one before. Leave the tail at each end for attaching, but add a few more chains to each progressive hanger.

ATTACH butterfly by tying the 4” end to the small ring and the 6” end securely to the inside of upper wing. Attach butterflies evenly around large ring. One butterfly goes in the center and the rest around the ring.

END OF PATTERN

post-15526-135897539194_thumb.jpg

post-15526-135897539195_thumb.jpg

What a great idea for those butterflies! I love it.

So pretty!

Cute, too bad I didn't know about this when I had little ones to crochet for...perfect and not dangerous.

That's so neat. Thanks for sharing