Right Way Market Bag

TheKnottyMale

Carrying the unused color is the trick. You've got to learn how to get your tension just right, and that can be hard to do when the unused color is carried for so long. You tend to get a warped look when your tension is off. Steam blocking will definitely work out any of the slight imperfections

Okay, knottymale, I'm glad you mentioned this. I've made several tapestry bags in the past but never one that was completely round. I started this bag yesterday and almost immediately I noticed that my "bottom" had become wavy. I remember that you have to give that underlying thread a bit of a tug before you change colors but I may not have tugged enough or maybe too much. I'm also using Red Heart and I thought it might be because of the thicker yarn but my gauge is dead-on. Acrylic tends to return to it's original shape so I hope that the steam iron will still be able to correct this. I've attached some photos of my previous bags.

post-2917-13589761192_thumb.jpg

post-2917-135897611924_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, mine also take on that look in the beginning. It will work itself out once you are no longer making any more increases and the sides of the bag begin to form.

I actually like the thickness of Red Heart Super Saver because it's easier for me to crochet with. My hands are large and thin yarns/threads really slow me down. I have one bag that is made using Bernat. It's definitely lighter in weight and I'm sure that it will have more sag than the one's I've made using RHSS.

I took the picture of the purple/orange bag before it was blocked. I machine wash the bag and I use liquid fabric softener. I steam it after it's been washed. Then I put it on a hanger and let it dry. I use a damp towel between the iron and the bag and I GENTLY iron the piece. I'm sure that you are WELL aware of how easily acrylic will melt if it get's too hot. I do NOT use firm pressure when pressing with the iron. I've done that in the past and it makes the stitches VERY flat. I've been told that this is referred to as "killing." You may like that look. Wish I had a photo to show you how it looks after killing, but the bag that was blocked this way was made back when I didn't have a digital camera.

Carol does a short discussion about the importance of blocking at her blog. Here's the link if you are interested in reading about it and having a look at her before/after photos.

Bob

Thanks for your long reply Bob. I actually did put my "bottom" on the ironing board and held the steam about 4 inches above it. Then I lightly patted it in and placed a book on top for an hour or two. The circle did come out flat after all. I'm finally to the point where I am no longer increasing and things are going well. I agree with you about the Red Heart. In the past I've used the Caron acrylic yarn (not Simply Soft). I've found that this is even stiffer and works very well for tapestry applications.

As for "killing", I've never done that but I can well imagine what the result would look like! :yuck

From looking at the photo you posted, I can see that it won't be much longer before you will realize that the entire bottom of the bag isn't flat. It does begin to cup a bit. The photo of the green & white bag in progess looks like it has a very flat bottom, but it doesn't. It's just the weight of the bag pushing down a bit - making it appear as though the bag has a totally flat bottom. Look closely at the photo shown with the pattern. And you can also tell that it's not a completely flat bottom if you take a closer look at the photo of the purple/orange bag folded flat.

Just keep going - you'll be AMAZED at how it all seems to just come together :)

Stay focused on keeping all of your stitches and tension the same and it will all work out for you. :hook

You're right Bob. The bag is beginning to take the shape that you said. I had forgotten how addicted you can become to this tapestry crochet. Now I have all sorts of ideas in mind. The only problem is that it's a little hard on my old hands. :P

Well, here is my bag so far. It doesn't sit up tall the way yours does and I think it is because I flattened out the bottom. However, the measurements are correct according to the pattern. Once I finish the handles and the border it should look like yours. :)

I can't work with handled hooks because I have a pencil grip. At one point I tried to learn the knife grip but I've been crocheting for 50 years and it was too hard to change! Thanks for the tip, though.

post-2917-135897612258_thumb.jpg

post-2917-135897612263_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome! I like the colors you've chosen. When you get the to strap, be careful that you don't twist your chain and make sure that you are laying the chain in the direction that the pattern states. I've gotten it backwards before and had to rip out quite a bit work.

Here is a picture of the same bag that is shown in the photo on the first page of the pattern. Yours is looking just the same!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14714525@N02/3275759690/

Another thing I should mention... when the straps are finished the WRONG side becomes the right side of the strap. Look closely at the linked photo of Carol's bag. I didn't want you to think that you had possibly done something wrong and then start ripping out work that is ok.

I should also mention that I don't finish off the final rounds by crocheting both strands together like the pattern states. RHSS is too thick - at least in my opnion.

I agree ShuttleBuggy - her bag is looking so nice! I REALLY like the colors she chose. The red pops right out at you :)

Well, thanks for the nice comments!

When you get the to strap, be careful that you don't twist your chain and make sure that you are laying the chain in the direction that the pattern states. I've gotten it backwards before and had to rip out quite a bit work.

I really appreciate this hint Bob. It's great to be able to follow in someone else's footsteps and let them make all the mistakes first. ;)

I hope I'll get some good crochet time in later today. After all, other projects are waiting...:lol

Ok, now that I've started the straps I've had to come back here and re-read your comments as well as look at that photo again. I think I did the right thing by flipping the strap to the outside but I am still in the process of working on the first one and making the eyelets. The directions are a bit confusing. I think I'll get some more done this evening and then I'll post a photo again. My hands are very sore and I have to take it a little slower. Stick with me there, Bob. I'll get done eventually! :D

although this is not the bag you are making, the handles are still made the same way. The photo of this bag will probably give you some "visual" help.

Thanks Bob, this photo was very helpful. I've finished 2 rows of the handles/border and I better go back and look to see if it is correct. I find that I will have to work at my table instead of in my comfy chair so that I can better see what my results are. I know that I accidentally crocheted an almond stitch instead of a bark stitch after one of the chain loops. Instead of ripping everything back, I've decided to thread a needle with some bark yarn and stitch over it in the end. :D

Also, the yarn got so tangled that I ended up making small balls and stuffing them through the chain spaces. Not very professional. :blush

making small balls and stuffing them through the chains is exactly what Carol recommends... although she didn't mention it with this particular pattern.

I've made so many now that I kinda cheat.... I mark all of the places on the bag where the straps/slots would go. Then I do rounds E,F,G first. This leaves me with 2 handles on the bag, but only 1/2 of each handle is complete. Now I only have to go through the hassle of working all that yarn through those slots for 3 rounds. I know this probably doesn't make sense to you right now, but it probably will once you get farther along in the pattern.

As I was fighting with these handles, it occurred to me that there are probably easier ways to accomplish a similar result. You seem to have found one that works well for you, Bob. However, I made the handles and border 3 times and each time I ended up with one end of one of the straps looping through the eyelet from the wrong side. I didn't want to make a 4th try. :(

Alternately, I marked out 4 places on each end of the bag for the eyelets and worked several rows above them to make the border a little wider. Now I plan to make the straps separately, thread them through, and join each strap into a circle. I know that this is not as nice as having them attached to the bag but I just didn't want to devote the rest of my life to this project! I guess I'm just too impatient (or too dumb) to get this right! :think

I have to rest my hands for a few days and then I'll post a photo of the FO. :)

Even though I've made this bag several times, the same thing that happened to you also happened to me with this finished bag. I almost had this bag entirely finished when you started yours. Had to rip out 1/2 of the strap/top of bag portion of the pattern.

I will soon be working on the green and white bag. If you would really like to have handles like the ones shown in the pattern's picture, I could take step by step photos when I reach that part of the pattern. It would also give your hands a chance to rest while I catch up to the point where you are with your bag.

The photo of the green and white bag shows exactly how much is finished. Your hands would definitely get a bit of rest before I would start taking photos. Just let me know if you would be interested.

Oh, that's very nice of you Bob! However, once I finish this bag, I probably won't make another one. I thought I might try my hand at designing my own after my hands get a rest.

Your purple and orange bag turned out great!

Archived