Mindless relaxing patterns?

quietheart

Question

I found myself today, exhausted, but since I quit smoking 3+ years ago I must be crocheting or knitting if Im sitting watching TV etc.

I've been working on patterns that required me to keep track of every row and really needed something relaxing to do. The only limiter I had today was it couldnt be large because it was extremely hot even with the AC on you did not want something over you. So I couldn't reach for my normal mindless Afghans.

So I thought, "I wonder if anyone else has mindless things, relaxing things they reach for to crochet" when they are doing other things or tired.

I'd love to see some of your links and ideas.

So how about you? What pattern do you reach for when your mind is elsewhere or tired?

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love crocheting afghans made up of small (or not so small) motifs. They're great for hot weather crocheting, and once you've made the first three or four, you've got the pattern down pat and it becomes mindless. Sewing the motifs together also is a no-brainer. I first started crocheting in the '70s -- partly to help quit smoking. Failed then, but succeeded years later with Smokenders program, then took up crocheting again after I retired, because after all these years I still need to keep my hands busy when watching TV. If I need to focus, I do it while commercials are on.

round ripples or serafinas

Serafinas are fun, Ive made a few of them. But no one I know uses shawls, so I ran out of reasons to make them lol

I've never done a round ripple yet but afghans must wait until december or so lol

Kath, I love to do scarves. You pick a stitch pattern and crochet away. I have a couple of favorites that are just repetition of the first two rows, so once I get started I just crochet away. I make them for "compassion creations" link in my signature. If you are interested pm me and I tell you the patterns. I'm at work right now so I don't have the link but they are all free patterns.

I'd love to know what patterns you use Pat, when you have time though!

Congratulations on quiting smoking, quietheart. I know it can be hard sometimes to stay quit. I like doing anything that has a shell stitch in it. The shell stitch is my favorite and very, very mindless. I can actually see my hook flying while I'm working it.

Nikkidear, thanks for the idea on the cat toys. So quick and easy. I have three feline terrors and they would love some more homemade toys. I like the idea of donating them to the shelter as well. Good idea.

Congratulations on quiting smoking, quietheart. I know it can be hard sometimes to stay quit. I like doing anything that has a shell stitch in it. The shell stitch is my favorite and very, very mindless. I can actually see my hook flying while I'm working it.

Nikkidear, thanks for the idea on the cat toys. So quick and easy. I have three feline terros and they would love some more homemade toys. I like the idea of donating them to the shelter as well. Good idea.

Thanks! I settled back to knitting a seed stitch dishcloth at the moment, but I still want everyones ideas for when this happens again I can come to this thread!

Round ripples are so easy and not too much counting involved. I've done several using Aggie Mae's pattern. There are also snowflakes I love to do and they work up so quickly. When I have too many, I find friends who can use them on their Christmas trees. My tree is filled to the brim.

Im a heathen in this area lol I don't like crocheted dishcloths so I knit them. And it's not as relaxing as crochet *Giggle*.

Potholders are an idea, the ones that you are working on always have a seam that bothers me. Do you notice it at all on yours? Or have you found a way to avoid it?

I much prefer the knitted dishcloths, too, but haven't learned to knit yet, so have to get by with the crocheted ones. My neighbor found a stash of knit dishcloths at a garage sale a couple of years ago and bought me half a dozen, they are my favorites. They're getting kind of worn out but I still use them.

The seam doesn't bother me, I usually just whipstitch it.

Priscilla Hewitt's Scalloped Potholder is also pretty mindless and gorgeous.

Do a search on Ravelry and you will be amazed at some of the color combinations that people have come up with.

This is a fun thread! :hook

Round ripples are so easy and not too much counting involved. I've done several using Aggie Mae's pattern. There are also snowflakes I love to do and they work up so quickly. When I have too many, I find friends who can use them on their Christmas trees. My tree is filled to the brim.

I like to work with thread, but when Im tired my eyes just wont tolerate it or I'd have snowflakes everywhere all year round hehehe

I much prefer the knitted dishcloths, too, but haven't learned to knit yet, so have to get by with the crocheted ones. My neighbor found a stash of knit dishcloths at a garage sale a couple of years ago and bought me half a dozen, they are my favorites. They're getting kind of worn out but I still use them.

The seam doesn't bother me, I usually just whipstitch it.

Patricia Hewitt's Scalloped Potholder is also pretty mindless and gorgeous.

Do a search on Ravelry and you will be amazed at some of the color combinations that people have come up with.

This is a fun thread! :hook

I love all her patterns (Her name is priscilla not patricia though *giggle*) Perfect mistake for this thread though dont you think?

I actually learned to knit about 5 years ago for 2 reasons. To make dishcloths and socks! lol

I finally gave up on knitting and after I posted my own links I began a revesible strand hat again! LOL

I like to work with thread, but when Im tired my eyes just wont tolerate it or I'd have snowflakes everywhere all year round hehehe

I love all her patterns (Her name is priscilla not patricia though *giggle*) Perfect mistake for this thread though dont you think?

I actually learned to knit about 5 years ago for 2 reasons. To make dishcloths and socks! lol

I finally gave up on knitting and after I posted my own links I began a revesible strand hat again! LOL

I knew that!!! :blush *slaps head*...you don't want to know how many times I've googled "Patricia Hewitt" lol :hook

Although I haven't tried it yet, I've set aside the Tunisian Bricks afghan on the Happy Hooker's Blog for such "mindless" days. The afghan is beautiful and it looks simple enough. Just strips of tunisian crochet sewn together. I tried to find the link for the pattern, but when I googled Happy Hooker's Blog all kinds of crazee things unfit for my old eyes came up. If you don't know how to do Tunisian crochet, work the strips in single crochet instead.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I've set aside the Tunisian Bricks afghan on the Happy Hooker's Blog for such "mindless" days. The afghan is beautiful and it looks simple enough. Just strips of tunisian crochet sewn together. I tried to find the link for the pattern, but when I googled Happy Hooker's Blog all kinds of crazee things unfit for my old eyes came up. If you don't know how to do Tunisian crochet, work the strips in single crochet instead.

Ah definitely, anything in strips would probably work in this heat, too. Much better than large afghans.

And I googled the pattern name instead of happy hooker and here is the link to the happy hooker site. I can't imagine what you found lol

http://happyhooker.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/tunisian-bricks/

Well, there's always the good ol' large granny square. Also, I love the "wattle" stitch for things. It's also called the Slanted V.

http://www.getcreativeshow.com/Crafting_Sewing_Conference_Center/craft_sewing_seminars/crochetworkshop4.htm

I find I can mindlessly go on for ages doing this stitch, as I've done it so often. It makes a nice fabric -- sort of thick and spongy.

I love crocheting afghans made up of small (or not so small) motifs. They're great for hot weather crocheting, and once you've made the first three or four, you've got the pattern down pat and it becomes mindless. Sewing the motifs together also is a no-brainer. I first started crocheting in the '70s -- partly to help quit smoking. Failed then, but succeeded years later with Smokenders program, then took up crocheting again after I retired, because after all these years I still need to keep my hands busy when watching TV. If I need to focus, I do it while commercials are on.

Thanks for the ideas, I do like making 12 inch squares.

Well, there's always the good ol' large granny square. Also, I love the "wattle" stitch for things. It's also called the Slanted V.

http://www.getcreativeshow.com/Crafting_Sewing_Conference_Center/craft_sewing_seminars/crochetworkshop4.htm

I find I can mindlessly go on for ages doing this stitch, as I've done it so often. It makes a nice fabric -- sort of thick and spongy.

thanks, that stitch is really , really pretty!

Ah definitely, anything in strips would probably work in this heat, too. Much better than large afghans.

And I googled the pattern name instead of happy hooker and here is the link to the happy hooker site. I can't imagine what you found lol

http://happyhooker.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/tunisian-bricks/

Sorry about that. I didn't think about it when I named the site what kind of other things would pop up. I'm glad you like the pattern and I hope you all get enjoyment out of it. :)

Jess

aka, The Happy Hooker

Sorry about that. I didn't think about it when I named the site what kind of other things would pop up. I'm glad you like the pattern and I hope you all get enjoyment out of it. :)

Jess

aka, The Happy Hooker

lol There was a happy hooker web site many, many moons ago for crochet patterns, and they had the same problem.

this looks like a fun project, it is on my to-do list

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/greetingcardcrafts/ss/CrochetCardBowl.htm

crochet towel toppers are fun... when I make them I use surgar and cream yarn and fold the towels in half so they are thick. makes a quick gift

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/towel_toppers.php

:hookdishcloths, potholders.

My favorite dishcloth pattern is just alternating sc in front loop, then back loop, etc. Just start with an odd numbered chain then go for it.

Today I've been playing around with the turn-on-itself potholder, there are many names for it. I've been experimenting with half double crochet, instead of sc as it is usually done, and it's turning out pretty well, and totally mindless! :hook

I also found the Seraphina shawl to be pretty mindless, once I learned the pattern.

Congratulations on being smoke-free. I'm still working on it.

Thanks so much for this pattern. I likes it!

I have never seen this stitch before and I am excited to try it. Thanks so much for the link to the pattern.

Archived