Picket Fences and Fall Flowers

happily hooked

I just finished my latest after 40 days of work! Pics are below.

The pattern is "Picket Fence and Fall Flowers" by Stephanie Brown. Her design won the 2007 annual afghan contest at Herrschner's.

I made a smaller version -- the pattern called for 5 columns X 7 rows, but I didn't want a full bedspread size so I reduced it to 4 columns X 5 rows. Even though I reduced the size, it still turned out to measure 60"X80" and required the crochet and sewing together of 492 pieces -- that's a lot of sc's! (I now have a new appreciation for those that quilt).

I also want to give credit to my "little helper." She was always by my side, helping me to untangle the yarn (ahem :rolleyes) anytime I needed her assistance.

post-38362-135897537482_thumb.jpg

post-38362-135897537491_thumb.jpg

post-38362-135897537494_thumb.jpg

post-38362-135897537498_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WoW! Stunning design! You did a great job with this, it is just beautiful! Is it a free pattern? Were those the colors she originally did it in.
The original colors were very close to this. I settled on the brand/type of yarn that I used because it was the ONLY brand that even came close that I could find. Berroco has some really nice, rich colors.

The pattern is available at Herrshners, and the price is reduced. I think the booklet (it contains 4 patterns) is $3.97. They are all crochet designs that won or placed in the contest that year.

They also have a kit that is available for $100, but I was reluctant to buy it for two reasons. First, I wanted to reduce the size, and I didn't want that extra yarn. Second, I have had bad experiences with kits I have purchased from them in the past.

One kit I ordered had probably 12 or so different yarn colors in the design, and some of the yarn colors that they sent in the kit matched the picture perfectly while others were completely different and didn't seem to even go with the other yarns at all. Yuck! I had to buy and replace the ones that I didn't like, so what is the point in buying a kit? I expect the yarn colors to match the picture that they advertise. I couldn't find any yarn brand on their site that had colors to match the colors on the afghan pattern photo, so I didn't want to take the risk in letting them pick my colors for me.

Here is a link to the pattern booklet on their site: http://www.herrschners.com/Product/2007+AwardWinning+Crochet+Afghans+Pattern+Book.aspx

That is a beautiful afghan. I admire the work you put into it. You should be very proud of it.

Wow! that is so nice! that took a lot of patience to do. not to mention skill:hook it's really beautiful! Your sewing is wonderful, the stitches are so neat and tiny. :cheer congratulations on your accomplishment!

:c9 Your afghan is gorgeous! Your helper sure is a cutie also. We have a little one also that enjoys helping with the yarn:blush. She always gets a new ball at the end of a project for all her hard work. Hope you are planning to enter it into a fair would surely place.

Archived