I'm doing an INTERNATIONAL KINDER CROCHET week in my blog

jimbo

I've been thinking about this for some time now, and decided to just go ahead and do it. Hopefully others will join in, especially our "indies".

In the interest of introducing the fine art of crochet to young folk, how about a special week for kids in crochet? I'm calling it "<strong>INTERNATIONAL KINDER CROCHET WEEK</strong>" and it will have as it's focus, introducing kids to crochet.

For timing, I think it would be nice to have it along about the end of the school year (which is mid June here in the US). So the week of June 20 - 27 might be good. It will be a great time for mom's, grandmothers, aunts, friends or whoever to have some quality time with a youngster and teach them crochet.... something really constructive and worthwhile to do with vacation time.

For my part, I'm going to do a contest for kids. Kids from anywhere in the world can send pictures of what they have crocheted during the week of June 20 - 27. I will do a drawing from the entries and the winner will have their project posted in my blog and will win a Jimbo hook. Other indie folk might consider doing something similar? It'd be great if other fiber art professionals would join in, with prizes or projects especially designed for children learning to crochet.

Please think this over yourselves and let me have your comments and ideas of how we can make this an exciting event for kids!

Thanks!!!

Jimbo

(I looked around and didn't see that such a thing has been done before, but if it has, please let me know. I'd want to participate in such an event.)

Depends if you are going to call "Kids" up to 18, 16, ect. I m still under 16, that's where "kids" get more independence. Driving. 18 is where they officilly become an "adult". It can also refer to an adult that has never grown up:lol. I do know some of them. It is up to you! Whatever you think is best. My brothers want to enter too!

Wow, Lilly! Lemme see... if I cipher the 2 and add the remainder, it looks like I'm more than twice your age! heh

I think you're right about 16 being a good number. I can always do hook give aways and things for older beginning crochetiers. So lets set the age limit at 16.

Thanks for you input... AND don't forget to enter the contest!

I just got word from JoBug that she's going to be teaching a whole group of kids to crochet. I''m hoping they enter too, and that other folks maybe do a similar contests for that week. Twould be a good thing for crochet, I'm thinkin.

just put the prize hooks up in my blog. Take a look and see if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...

What a clever idea. Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've attempted to teach my great niece to knit but that didn't go well. I have taught many to crochet over the years, and my daughter was pretty young when she learned. She's continued to teach others as well.

Do you have plans to do this again next year?

Didn't have alot of interest this year. I only had 10 entries so I made hooks for all of them. What I didn't think about was that when you do a contest, there are winners and that's a happy thing. But then there are the kidos that don't win. Twould be heartbreaking not to have them win too, so at least for this year every kido who entered got a hook.

Yeah, and I'll probably do it again next year. Hopefully there will be more interest and it'll take off. I think its good to start kids learning early. I think its a MUCH preferred pastime as compared, say, to video games.

Good for YOU teaching folks the gentle art of crochet!!

Jimbo

Didn't have alot of interest this year. I only had 10 entries so I made hooks for all of them. What I didn't think about was that when you do a contest, there are winners and that's a happy thing. But then there are the kidos that don't win. Twould be heartbreaking not to have them win too, so at least for this year every kido who entered got a hook.

Yeah, and I'll probably do it again next year. Hopefully there will be more interest and it'll take off. I think its good to start kids learning early. I think its a MUCH preferred pastime as compared, say, to video games.

Good for YOU teaching folks the gentle art of crochet!!

Jimbo

Sure agree with you on the video stuff. Sweet of you to think of all their feelings and award each. Though winning and losing are also good life lessons.

Archived