St. Vincent NICU Donations

nicolep

Hello fellow crocheters! I'm writing to request your help. Every year, for my son's birthday, I donate micro-preemie items to the NICU where he spent his short life. I have tossed around the idea of asking for your help since joining the 'Ville. This year, I decided to ask. I know there is another thread requesting afghans for NICU babies and I don't want to take away from that at all.

I'd like to gather items to donate on the anniversary of his death this year because his birthday is a Sunday. I'll take anything you would like to make. Here's a short, but not exhaustive list of what I'd like:

• Hats (2 - 4 inches in diameter)
  • Booties (for tiny, little feet)
  • Afghans (12 - 15 inches in diameter or square)
  • Layettes (open down the back)
  • Small stuffed toys (for children who have lost a sibling)
  • Anything you can think of to give the parents for comfort

I know this is asking a lot from you. This is something that means a lot to me. I received handmade items for my son. Some of them were for him and others were to help me. I cannot tell you how much it meant then and continues to now.

I also want to tell you a little about him. Xavier was born on 8/29/04. I went into premature labor that couldn't be stopped. He was born 12 weeks early. He weighed 1 pound, nine ounces. He was 13 1/2 inches long. He lived for two days. He had a massive brain hemorrhage that he could not overcome. He died on 8/31/04.

I attached some pictures of some things I have made. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for considering this charity.

post-28827-135897536085_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897536099_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how much i can do, but i will send some stuff.

I want to say how sorry I am, I can't imagine what you have gone through :hug

Thank you for offering to help and the condolences! Every little bit will be used with love. One item or twenty, every thing will be loved.

It was a long couple of years for me and my family. It helped me so much to make items to donate. I also donated fifty books one year. It has been surprisingly cathartic.

Oh, edited to say, just let me know if/when you want the address to mail. Thanks again.

I would love to send something. Please PM me your mailing address. Cannot even image how difficult his passing must have been for you. Keeping you in my prayers.

Thank you for offering to help and the prayers. I won't turn either down! :hug I'll send you a PM now.

Nicole - I'd definitely like to contribute something. PLEASE remind me...I'm a bit of a flake these days...school is winding down though...

Nicole - I'd definitely like to contribute something. PLEASE remind me...I'm a bit of a flake these days...school is winding down though...

Thank you! I will try to remind you.

I would also love to help with this request. Please pm your address.

I lost a baby in the early 80's. It does get easier, but there will always be a hole in your heart for your sweet angel. God bless you, sweetheart! :hug

I will try to send something....let's see, you want the items by August?

Also, where did you get the pattern for the adorable gown? Perhaps I could make some of those too. Do let me know.

I would also love to help with this request. Please pm your address.

I lost a baby in the early 80's. It does get easier, but there will always be a hole in your heart for your sweet angel. God bless you, sweetheart! :hug

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear that you lost a baby, too. :hug It always surprises me how many parents have lived through this. I agree, it does get easier, but something will always be missing. I could tell a big difference at five years. There were times earlier that were better obviously, but after five years the times are mostly good with some sadness thrown in rather than the other way around. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again

I will try to send something....let's see, you want the items by August?

Also, where did you get the pattern for the adorable gown? Perhaps I could make some of those too. Do let me know.

Thanks for the offer to help. I really appreciate all of you. This is the pattern I used for the gown - http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-preemie-gown.html

I get a lot of my patterns for preemie's from here - http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bereavement-gowns.html

I will send you a PM.

Hi Nicole. I knit/crochet bereavement blankets for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis where my daughter spent all 23 days of her life. I belong to a charity just for this and I'd love to donate some of the bereavement blankets to you for St. Vincent. My next donation to Riley is on June 14th. But anything I make after that I'd love to send your way

Hi Nicole. I knit/crochet bereavement blankets for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis where my daughter spent all 23 days of her life. I belong to a charity just for this and I'd love to donate some of the bereavement blankets to you for St. Vincent. My next donation to Riley is on June 14th. But anything I make after that I'd love to send your way

Thank you for offering to help especially considering you have a lot on your plate already. I like donating to St. Vincent because Xavier was there and I haven't found any other charities that donate to that hospital (they do get donations from private parties though). I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. :hug

Thank you for offering to help especially considering you have a lot on your plate already. I like donating to St. Vincent because Xavier was there and I haven't found any other charities that donate to that hospital (they do get donations from private parties though). I'm sorry to here about your daughter. :hug

Thank you! I'm sorry for the loss of your Xavier too. Currently I donate to Riley and P.M. Children's Hospital.

If you ever want to talk just pm me. We're actually coming upon our little girl's 3rd birthday and 3rd angel day in June and July :hug

When I originally wanted to donate to the NICU at St. Vincent they put me in touch with a woman from the Children's Hospital who told me, just bring what I had to donate into the P.M. Hospital and they would get them to whoever I wanted them donated to. SO I think I donate to the NICU at St. Vincent. But I ended up talking with 7 different people and leaving 3 messages before I got a reply. If you could tell me who to contact at the NICU I would much appreciate it!

Thank you! I'm sorry for the loss of your Xavier too. Currently I donate to Riley and P.M. Children's Hospital.

If you ever want to talk just pm me. We're actually coming upon our little girl's 3rd birthday and 3rd angel day in June and July :hug

When I originally wanted to donate to the NICU at St. Vincent they put me in touch with a woman from the Children's Hospital who told me, just bring what I had to donate into the P.M. Hospital and they would get them to whoever I wanted them donated to. SO I think I donate to the NICU at St. Vincent. But I ended up talking with 7 different people and leaving 3 messages before I got a reply. If you could tell me who to contact at the NICU I would much appreciate it!

I give it to the Bereavement coordinator at St. Vincent (not connected with P.M. Children's Hospital). She and I have become good friends over the last six years. It's entirely possible that she does me a favor. If you spoke to the main hospital, it makes sense that they would refer you to the children's hospital. The NICU is in the women's hospital. I can send you a PM with the coordinators name (I don't want to post it here for all to see) if you'd like.

The same goes for you about chatting. It's hard to believe sometimes that it has been almost six years. There are times that it feels so much longer, but other times it feels like yesterday.

I give it to the Bereavement coordinator at St. Vincent (not connected with P.M. Children's Hospital). She and I have become good friends over the last six years. It's entirely possible that she does me a favor. If you spoke to the main hospital, it makes sense that they would refer you to the children's hospital. The NICU is in the women's hospital. I can send you a PM with the coordinators name (I don't want to post it here for all to see) if you'd like.

The same goes for you about chatting. It's hard to believe sometimes that it has been almost six years. There are times that it feels so much longer, but other times it feels like yesterday.

If you could pm the coordinator's name that would be excellent (and if you have her office number that would be great too). Especially since she's the bereavement coordinator.

I'm so glad to talk to someone who's got experience at St. Vincent. Phone tag gets kind of old and most people acted like I was ridiculous for even asking who I'd contact.

I admit I've been really emotional about our 3s coming up. Like crying at weird stuff emotional

Scanned but didn't see the deadline date for mailing? Any restrictions regarding yarn and washing?

Sorry for your loss

I'll be making the delivery on August 31. The only yarn I would avoid is wool. You can wash the items or not. I can wash everything if you'd like.

Thank you!

Oh my goodness!! Look at this great package of preemie items I received from Darlene (Needle Arts)! :manyheart There are going to be some great looking babies and comforted parents from these items.

post-28827-135897537509_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897537516_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897537519_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897537522_thumb.jpg

Archived