The "wrong side, right side" Amigurumi Debate

punk1n

Question

I love amigurumi. Since I'm in college and have two jobs, it's practically all I have time for.

When I learned how to crochet amigurumi, I learned to crochet in the round counter-clockwise. This method leaves the smoother side on the outside of the finished work, and the side that you can more clearly see each individual row on the inside of the work. I prefer this method because I think the finished work looks better.

I posted a picture of one of my dolls on another site. Someone commented, "That's really cute, but did you know you made him inside out?" I couldn't help but get a little frustrated. I didn't make him wrong, I intentionally made him that way because that's the way I prefer and he's my doll.

All the time, I see references to the "wrong side" vs the "right side" in amigurumi discussion. It seems like the general consensus is that the "proper way" to crochet amigurumi is clockwise in the round, so that the side where you can more clearly see each individual row is on the outside, and the smoother side is on the inside (opposite of what I do). Apparently, the "invisible decrease" is more invisible when you crochet clockwise. When you crochet counter-clockwise, the invisible decrease leaves a horizontal bar on the outside from the front loop of the decrease stitches which bothers some people (personally, I don't think it's noticeable).

I'm starting to wonder if I should go against my preference and crochet like everyone else does. I really do prefer the look of the counter-clockwise round, but if everyone else does it the other way... maybe I should, too? All the amigurumi pattern writers I look up to all crochet clockwise, opposite of what I do. But, I sort of like the fact that I do things differently than everyone else, it makes me feel my dolls are more unique. But, patterns are mostly written for a clockwise crocheter, not a counter-clockwise like myself. When special types of stitches don't work up right, I can't help but think it's because the pattern wasn't meant to be crocheted how I want it be crocheted. :think

Should I change and be like everyone else for the sake of less frustration when following others' patterns, or should I just continue to be myself and crochet how I want to crochet?

Also, do you crochet amigurumi clockwise, or counter-clockwise? Why?

11 answers to this question

I've never made an ami, but want to someday. I've never really noticed a right side or wrong side. Could you post a picture of one of yours, so I can compare it with another one?

I'd say continue making them the way YOU want to!:hook

No way! Do NOT go against what YOU like & what YOU are comfortable with!

Really, it's all about preference. I know other crocheters who prefer the "wrong side" to be showing.

No way, don't change! Keep crocheting the way you like to, it's your work and you can do it however you want to. If anything, it just adds to the character of your pieces, and makes them a little more "you"! :)

I'm not sure what you mean about clockwise vs counterclockwise. I'm left handed so when I crochet in the round I ALWAYS crochet clockwise because I'm left handed. My right handed daughter ALWAYS crochets counter clockwise because she is right handed. For amis, they sometimes tend to naturally want to curl with the wrong side facing out. I prefer the right side of my work to show so I flip it right side out. My daughter's work does the same thing so she flips hers as well. I don't think it's a matter of which direction you crochet as to which side faces out.

Unless you are selling your little "guys" for profit, you should do it the way you prefer. What it all comes down to is preference. I must admit that every time I see an ami with the wrong side showing I cringe a little on the inside... but that's just my preference. If they like it that way then who am I to judge. They may think the same thing about my "right side out" ami.

There is a right side and wrong side to crochet. That much is true. And I do notice them when they are made this way. Its a matter of preference.

But you should make them the way you like them, if its wrong side out, so be it. It's your creation! Do what you like!

It's not my preference, but as I said, they are yours.

I'm not into fun fur but I've seen a tip that if you are using fun fur on amis, they are furrier on the 'wrong' side, so there may be something to it in that case...but it's a hobby, do it the way that pleases you.

It's also art, they told the impressionists they were doing it 'wrong', too.

You know, I think I will continue to just crochet how I want to. I realized that the reason I like crocheting so much is because I can do whatever I want, so I shouldn't care about others' comments on the way I prefer to crochet. :yes

I've never made an ami, but want to someday. I've never really noticed a right side or wrong side. Could you post a picture of one of yours, so I can compare it with another one?

I'd say continue making them the way YOU want to!:hook

Here is a link to an article that explains the difference between the two sides with clear pictures, http://www.planetjune.com/blog/which-is-the-right-side/

I'm not sure what you mean about clockwise vs counterclockwise. I'm left handed so when I crochet in the round I ALWAYS crochet clockwise because I'm left handed. My right handed daughter ALWAYS crochets counter clockwise because she is right handed. For amis, they sometimes tend to naturally want to curl with the wrong side facing out. I prefer the right side of my work to show so I flip it right side out. My daughter's work does the same thing so she flips hers as well. I don't think it's a matter of which direction you crochet as to which side faces out.

Interesting... I see what you mean :think

It probably shouldn't be spoken of as right side and wrong side, but rather front and back of the stitches. Most work displays the front of the sts, and you prefer to display the back of the sts. They do look different, but I think either way is fine.

It probably shouldn't be spoken of as right side and wrong side, but rather front and back of the stitches. Most work displays the front of the sts, and you prefer to display the back of the sts. They do look different, but I think either way is fine.

Yeah this is probably the root of the problem.

In crochet and knitting they are just "right side" "wrong side" and front and back is probably a much better way of saying it, but it's not going to change anytime soon hehe

I like the wrong (back) side to show too, depending on the piece. Sometimes I turn the piece both ways to see which way forms the shape better. I don't think it should really matter, as long as the item looks how you want it to!

The only issue you'll have with crocheting with the wrong side out is when the designer instructs to work in the front or back loops only to achieve a certain look. I do that in a lot of my designs and that is the only time it will be an issue... and even then all you have to do is just reverse your thinking there and do the opposite of what you are instructed to do if that makes any sense.

I also like the look of the wrong side but have retrained myself only for designing purposes to do it right side out. I have two patterns I designed that I never released because they can only be made with the wrong side out because of the way I did it believe it or not (Webster and Ant'ny) I do plan on breaking them out again and reworking their legs so that people other than myself and a few others can do it without going bonkers - darn 4sc rounds!! It's all good though. I have something up my sleeve!!

Anyhoo... In a nutshell - do it the way YOU want it to be. Crochet can be an art form and art is subjective. There is no wrong or right way.

And the next time someone gets all snitty with you saying that you did it wrong say that ya know what? It's MINE and this is the way I want it to be... and then you can go on a rant about how it's rude to point out to someone that they are doing something wrong especially about something trivial as the right or wrong sides - then go on to ask if that person's mother ever taught them that if you got nothing nice to say then don't say it at all lol

Yeah. whew! yeah.

Archived