How many "back up" hooks do you have?

Yesterday my daughter bent my 1.65 mm hook and when I straightened it back out a piece of the metal or coating or something flaked off causing it to snag my thread. I spent all day painting it with my husbands enamel paint to try to fix this little problem because that's the hook I'm using right now. I've been trying to occupy myself b/c the enamel isn't fully dry and my husband said if his work day goes better today and he makes some $ he'll try to stop by Micheal's to get me a new one.

Anyways this left me thinking, do you have multiples of your hooks? How many would you say you have?

I have 2 of my other hooks f-k but that's only b/c I had the origional Boye hooks that came with the kit my husband bought me and then I bought myself a Provo Craft ergonomic hook set that has the hooks you screw onto the handle.

Also What does you hubby/significant other think about having the more than one of the same hook size? Mine doesn't understand why I'd want extras.

Well when it comes to the size 7 steele, I have about 4 or 5. I am always losing that one and it never fails, it is always when I am in the middle of a project.

Now for the G-7 I have about 2 or 3. This one is crushial (sp) as I use this one for my totes. Can't lose this.:hook

I have at least two of G-K, I think I have 3 or 4 H's cause that's my favorite size. But now I'm working with some thinner yarns and more thread so I could use a backup B-E. I think some husbands don't view hooks as a tool, it's just like any other tool, would you have a drill with only one bit, of course not. Maybe if he views it like that he can understand why you need backups.

I have at least two of G-K, I think I have 3 or 4 H's cause that's my favorite size. But now I'm working with some thinner yarns and more thread so I could use a backup B-E. I think some husbands don't view hooks as a tool, it's just like any other tool, would you have a drill with only one bit, of course not. Maybe if he views it like that he can understand why you need backups.

LOL! I was just thinking the same thing! I think I have 3 or 4 of each of the letters and a few of the smaller hooks though I've never used them.

If hubs asked why I had more than one, I'd ask how many phillips screwdrivers he owns... or cordless drills... or shovels...

Luckily he's either very oblivious to the number of supplies or he's just smart enough not to ask :heehee:heehee gotta pick your battles!

It is exactly like the hardware and tools most men accumulate:hook Sometimes you need more than one because the first one is in another project or is AWOL....

I think I have at least 2 of all the sizes I use frequently, everything from steel size 7 up to J at least. Somehow i seem to have a bunch of k even tho I rarely use that size:think

I have more than duplicates, I have quadruples of many hook sizes. I bought one set and I inherited all of the others from my Mom. My Mom had a tendency to lose/misplace her hooks so she bought a lot of replacements. After she died when we went to get rid of her furniture we found the vast majority of her hooks in the sofa :\

Hubby never says a word about any of my crochet supplies if he did all I would have to do is mention his Nascar collection, fishing Gear, gun and ammo, Harley Davidson or oversized collection of tools .

I must have a dozen of the H hooks, cause either I lose them, or they are with my WIP's or UFO's. as for my other hooks I have to have at least 3 or 4 of each one, because I always misplace them. For me, it's easier to buy a new one than to tear the house apart trying to find it. My "forgetter" works overtime these days :think so it's hard to remember.

I have two I and two J hooks...mostly because I tend to "lose" them in the couch, and I buy another before I bother to try to find the original! I've gotten better, though, now that I keep my hooks in a soft-sided pencil bag!

My husband has no idea how many hooks I have and I'm pretty sure he doesn't care, lol Its no different then men having more than one of the same size screw driver, wrench, hammer, powertool, etc. :lol

Anyway, I have at least 2 of each hook, even the small steel thread hooks, some of the common ones like G, H, etc I have 3-4 of them.

I started with an E hook my Grammie gave me. I got a set sized B to I for Christmas (age 12 :think). Over the years I've been given/bought so many sets or single hooks I've lost count :lol. I have hooks from doily sizes all the way up to Q. Also afghan hooks and 2 ended hooks in various sizes. You can never have enough hooks :lol.

Ellie 13

I have over 50 of the older steel and aluminum hooks and more than one in each size. My husband understands as I keep losing them around the house, he even helped me find more on eBay as I like the older Bates the best. I usually find them around the house later though. He even helped me get a nice assortment of Graydogs when I showed them to him.

I'm with Valsey. I had a collection of my own, then inherited my mother's assortment. She always went out and bought more when she couldn't find one! Then I acquired more from an elderly lady who crocheted and knitted. So I have way more than I'll ever use (including knitting needles). At some point, I will have to donate or give some away.

man i have various numbers of them LOL!. i have at least 2 of each size hook, some i have 4 or so of. I think I have like 5 G hooks.. as im always loosing that one!.

Well I have to say I have at least 2 of every hook but some like my G, H, and I there are more.

I started accumulating duplicates after being in the middle of something and the hook decided to just get up and leave and I was so frustrated because I couldn't finish what I was doing and was not able to go out and get another hook.

I always leave the hook I'm using with the WIP until it's complete so I had to start having extra's for that. Of course I have hooks I've purchased or received that I don't care for so they just hang around.

My other half would never say anything about too many because just as Lov2crochet said "how many hammers, screwdrivers, etc does he have" so he understands the need for more than one tool to do the job.:lol

hubby doesn't know how many hooks I have, he doesn't care, cause it makes me happy and he likes what I make :) I just bought two hooks yesterday at Hobby Lobby, size K and L bamboo handles (I love using hooks with the handles)

More than I'll ever use in a lifetime, LOL. I have several complete sets of sizes B through K, then additional of J & K since I tend to use them the most and often have multiple projects going. And that doesn't include the lightups, soft touch, bamboo handles, acrylic, wooden and the large sizes starting with L and going up to Q (just bought another S hook). And a couple of sets of steel hooks, though I don't work with thread anymore, still keep them. Oh and that doesn't count the knitting needles I have accumulated even though I haven't knit in eons.

My name is LI Roe and I am a hookaholic.

LI Roe

I have at least 3 complete sets of Brittany crochet hooks. They are my "working" hooks. I have several sets of plastic hooks. I use these to stick in wips that are being put aside for awhile, so I know what size hook was being used. I also have several Susan Bates aluminum hoos, these were my hook of choice until I discovered Brittany hooks. I use these when the right size Brittany isn't close at hand.

i have one of every size and in some cases 3 to 5 some mine some my mothers the ones i use the most are my clover hooks still one 2 of those and want another H hook plus 2 more of the steel hooks and don't ask about the knitting needles i have and i don't knit

roxie in oh

Well, I too am one if those people who misplaces things really, really easily, so I have a lot of backup hooks-- 5 or so of the sizes I use the most.

They're so darned small and, perhaps, :magic:mdustmagically charmed to turn invisible when you need them the most :yes

I collect hooks so I have more than a hundred total... I don't like to even change hooks of the same size, the older hooks are thinner than the newer ones, at least in the steels.... as to what my husband says, he doesn't have a clue....I have several TOTC and Graydogs he has seen them and knows what they cost, but he has his vices and I have mine.... good luck on getting a new hook and finishing your project.

I have an obscene amount of hooks! :devil

Not sure how it happened...mostly, I think, because I'm always curious to try hooks in different types of materials. For a while there, I was on a Boye kick. Then Bates. Then someone turned me onto bamboo hooks. Then wood. Then, of course, there are hooks with different handles to try...all in all, this has all added up to so many hooks, I've long ago lost count!

I have about 30 hooks in various sizes, but only two each of the sizes I use most (G, H, I). Unfortunately, most of the hooks I own are Boye hooks, bought in a large lot off Ebay, and before I realized I just *can't* crochet with Boye hooks :bang.

Archived