*Urgent teaching help needed

I think I've been chosen to teach crochet in our homeschool co-op that we have every year, but, I'm not that great of a teacher, in anything really.

Any tips or anything would be wonderful! Age range that I would be teaching is about 5-10.:)

Thanks!:hug

:crochetingC4J:crocheting

Don't do any more than 3 at a time until they get the basics down OR have someone to help you.

I taught at my daughters school and 8 in a class was way too many little ones that all needed attention at the same time.

I've read that it is good to get learners started by having a few rows done already, a little swatch with working yarn still attached to give to each one. that way they can start out learning to do sc, and have something to hold on to. Chaining and working into the chain can come later. Even though we start a piece by working into a chain, that is not the easiest thing to do---working into stitches is much easier to manage.

Also heard recently from someone that taught a group of young kids, that bulky yarn was much easier for them to hold.

Haven't done it myself yet but have some lessons planned in a few months and this is the way I will do it.

chains. lots and lots of chains. do them in Christmas colors and it's garland. 5,6 foot long chains.

Younger ones will be amazed 'look what I can do' but in doing chains they are learning how to hold the yarn, work tension and move the hook.

Tell them that they're homework is a chain as tall as they are.

Personally - I don't ever want to do that class again with more than 3.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

It is great that you feel the calling to teach youth to crochet!!

Have you googled "Teaching Crochet to youth" or something along those lines? The Craft Yarn Council of America has lots of good ideas and easy patterns to follow for beginners. Once the kids learn how to crochet into the chain, have them make a wristlet, by either chaining 3 or 4 then single crocheting rows until it wraps around their wrist, or by chaining around their wrist then crocheting 3 or 4 rows, this is a good first project. You could also thread some pony beads on the yarn before they use it and show them how to single crochet around the bead to make the wristlet a bit more special.

The Needle Arts Mentoring Program is a good program to help with start up supplies and they also have good beginner project ideas. You can google NAMP, or Needle Arts Mentoring Program and learn all about that. I have started a few groups now with their help. (I also try to "rope" one or two friends in to help me with it!) The kids receive free crochet hook, yarn, and instruction book. The main thing, is to have at least one other person (teenager or adult) who can help you. It is good to keep the class size down to 4 or less at a time. They all want your help at once, and you want to try to give it to them, but that is just impossible, so they just have to learn to take turns with you!!

Warm up America also has some good info to help teach youth, and they suggest teaching them to make a square and donate to make a blanket for someone in need. I had a group of kids make up some rectangles and I crocheted around each rectangle (it is really difficult for someone new to crochet to get the rectangles "uniform" so it helps to make a few rows of single crochet around them to make them all look more alike) I think we did something like 7 X 9 inche rectangles. It was alot of work to put them all together, but they loved to see their squares/rectangles in the blanket! You can also send the squares off to Warm Up America, then they put them together to donate. We gave ours to a local Christmas exchange program for a needy family in our community.

well, best of luck. there is alot to doing this, but your enthusiasm will sustain you!! Send me a message if you need more information. I wish I could do this for a living!!

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much!! I actually WILL be teaching for sure, starting Feb. 2nd! I'm getting really nervous....I have two weeks of schedule written out. I know it seems a bit much to pack into two weeks, but I only three weeks, four at the most. They will have a week in between each class to practice as well:

Week One (Febuary 2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Class: teach chain stitch, single cochet, and double crochet, and how to read pattern abbreviations.

Homework: make single crochet and double crochet swatches, and scarf.

Week Two (Febuary 16)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Class: review double crochet, and teach granny square

Homework: make one or two granny squares

What do you think?

Thank you!!

I think your plan is a bit ambitious for week one. I've taught adults before, and they would be overwhelmed by that. My advice is to work on chains and sc the first week, and then start them on a project before they leave. A doll or bear scarf might be appropriate.

Second week, learn dc and do a small project, perhaps have them make squares to assemble for a charity blanket? or perhaps a coaster?

Thrid week granny square sounds good.

I like how you put into the lesson plan to REVIEW and check to see how everyone's projects had come.

I think your job, especially with kids this age is to get them excited about crochet, while giving them the tools to be successful and not overwhelming them.

Hope this humble advice helps. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

Jessica

I would skip the slip knot (personal experience with my two children...at 5, they couldn't wrap their brains around it....) until they're comfortable with making chains. There's a lot they can make with chains, and especially for the littler ones, that's a good weeks worth of learning right there. :) It's been awhile since I've tried to teach ones closer to 10 years, but again, I'd start with chains, or as someone else suggested, a pre-started sc, so they can get the feel of it. A longish rectangle can be folded into a purse/wallet. :)

also second the idea of small classes. :)

Hope your first day (today) goes super well :)

Thank you so much Jessica and Momcrochets! I actually don't have to start until the 16th, which is a big relief, so I have more time. :) I'm beginning to think that I may just be helping and coaching more than TEACHING, because at least all of the people who will be coming know at least how to chain. I really wish I could control how many people are i my classes, but it's open to all the homeschool families in our group, and a lot of people are coming. :S There will be two other girls coming who already know quite a bit, and who I will probably just be crocheting with, or teaching some new stitches, so they will be able to help me. :)

Thank you both so much again!

I'm assuming from posts since your first that the parents and other family members will be included in your class?? I would have the more experienced crocheters in your group help get the new learners started, so you can "teach" other stitches or pattern reading to the ones who want to learn more than just sc or chaining.

Maybe divide your "class" into 2 catergories..."Newbies" for those who are just learning and "beyond the chain gang" for those who have more experience.

But if most everyone already knows how to chain, then i would focus on the tension and stitching into the chain for that group....and your idea of a scarf for the first week would probably be good for that group.

I know with (trying) to teach my 9 yr. old stepdaughter to crochet, her biggest challenge has been going into the chain. She has the chain down good and the tension on the chain is good too. But her young coordination level makes her struggle with going into the chain for the next row and her tension is tight then loose and looks funky, so she will give up on it for a while. Now, my 7 yr. old stepdaughter wants to learn, but she loses interest and has no coordination (she trips over air, really....lol) so I like the idea of teaching her from an already started swatch with attached yarn to work with. She's such a girly girl, I think she would be very creative with crocheting plus she has the focus to keep it going if its something she really enjoys. I think she would be extremely frustrated with stitching the chain and going into the chain. Now...the 14-yr. old, likes to watch me crochet, likes the things you can make with crochet, and wants to learn crochet, but would rather be doing something else and have me make her what she wants!! :lol

She did however, make a scarf on the knifty knitter loom...took her a couple months, but she did it. :yay So i guess thats a start for her!!:crocheting

• 2 months later...
chains. lots and lots of chains. do them in Christmas colors and it's garland. 5,6 foot long chains.

Younger ones will be amazed 'look what I can do' but in doing chains they are learning how to hold the yarn, work tension and move the hook.

Tell them that they're homework is a chain as tall as they are.

Personally - I don't ever want to do that class again with more than 3.

Hi

I made 2 Chains 12 foot long out of 3 or more yarn colors, went from 1 corner of our front room to the oppisite corner of the room used nails looped around ceiling fan or a light shade.

Did that both directions then i hung all types of ornaments even greeting cards to make it look nice !

It worked perfect people loved it when they came in our house...

Hope this might help someone ;))))

Lol hope i did this right new message

Archived