How to stop Amigurumi enDUSTment

To make a story short: I like making amigurumi and I usually put them on some shelves in my room... where after some time they become dusty. I'm not sure if they will survive machine washing.

Any idea how to clean the toys without damaging the yarn? :yarn

You might try using the lint rollers (those rollers with the sticky sheets to pick up pet hair, among other things) that they sell at Target, Petco, Walmart, etc. I use those to clean the dust off of all manner of stuffed critters, and find that it works well without damaging the yarn. The sticky is just sticky enough to pick up the dust.

Thanks for your ideas!

@ Yarn. Your idea is great!.. I just wish I had a small vacuum... Gonna think about it

@ Valsey Babypowder? Won't it stick to amigurumi? I mean I'm afraid that my toys'll have both dust and babypowder on them in the end. What does babypowder do? - This method sounds so curious to me

@ Pyroteca I thought about such rollers myself, thanks. I just was afraid that they're too sticky and'll damage the yarn and make it fluffy. I guess I'll try it on some piece of yarn and see if it's ok.

Roll some some regular scotch tape around your fingers, sticky side up, several times, and gently pat the item. Also works to take animal fur/hair off finished items. Key word is pat GENTLY.

The baby powder just freshens them up a bit and seems to absorb the dust. I know it sounds weird but it really works, just dont put to much baby powder in the paper bag.

I know the baby powder sounds like a crazy idea. I can't explain why it works or should work. What I do know is that years ago when I had very oily hair there was a grooming tip I read in a magazine about using baby powder or talcum powder to remove the excess oil in your hair when you could not wash your hair. You would shake the powder on your head and brush/comb your hair thoroughly. Sure enough after a thorough combing of my hair the oil would be gone. I could go several more days without washing my hair. So I can't really explain why I think the tip of using baby powder to remove dirt will actually work. I just know how well it worked with my very oily hair. Thank goodness my hair is no longer oily.

Or you can do it the good old fashioned way. Take them outside, turn them upside down and shake them like mad. Pat them, spank them, what ever, to get the maximum dust and dirt off and out of them.

@ tnkycrochetnut OMG we're out of hot water for 2 weeks due to some maintenance works and I'm going crazy on how and where to wash my hair (they're quite long and somewhat oily) omg omg looks like you gave me an idea!!!

I am glad you like the hair tip and it will come in handy for you. At the time I used it I don't remember if my hair was long or short. I seem to go to flucuate between long hair and short hair. I think I may have had the longer hair when I first came across the tip but did use it when it was short also. I understand what it is like to go without hot water. We have had flooding here in Nashville. My hubby and I were one the lucky ones. We had flooding in our basement but it never got in the living quarters of our house. But we did lose our hot water heater and other appliances in our basement. Until we get a new hot water heater I am now heating water on the stove for our baths and dishes. A local church offered us hot showers which I took the opportunity for one and washed my hair at that time. That was May 7th. My hair has not been washed since but since its no longer oily its doing fine. Would love to hear if the baby/talcum powder trick works for you. I seem to remember but not entirely sure when I would put the powder in my hair I would cover my hairbrush with an old knee high stocking. It kept the gunk from sticking to the brush. You might try that also.

@ tnkycrochetnut, in fact here in Russia we have this summer maintenance each year. A few years ago it was like a month without hot water (that was horrible!!) now - 2 weeks of heating water on the stove. I survived one week and the second is on the go! I'll try to use your trick with powder. Hope you get your water heater soon too - living without hot water is not fun!

Oh and BTW how much powder to put on the hair? And do I need to wait for some time before combing them?

A few drops of laundry soap in a sink of cold water, let them soak for about 20 minutes, rinse well in cool water, do not wring but squeeze gently in a towel, set out to dry. If the Ami's are made with wool, be sure it is cool water to prevent shrinkage. Wash seperately or like colors together. Should look as good as new.

I have made alot of the baby snow dragon and the first one I made, I put it in the regular wash with my cloths and it came out okay. No shrinking, tearing, or other damage. Worked for me. :)

@ Island Girl Cool! What stuffing do you use for your toys btw? As far as I know it depends on stuffing whether amigurumi will survive washing machine or not

I use the regular stuffing you'd use for toys and things. Don't have much choice here unless I order off the internet and I don't do that at all.

@ Island Girl Cool! What stuffing do you use for your toys btw? As far as I know it depends on stuffing whether amigurumi will survive washing machine or not

i have heard of when cleaning silk flower to put in a brown paper bag with a handful of dry rice. never tried it though.

• 2 weeks later...

If the item is small, just immerse them in the sink with water and swish it around. Gently squeeze out excess moisture and place on some sort of rack to dry. It might take a few days, but the results are good. I recently did this with a tiny teddy I had sitting around that I had make in the mid "80's (so it must be a good 25 yrs old) and I placed it in my dish drainer and it really looks good. It was crocheted in an aran color and looked very dull. The color looks nice and fresh now.

I make amigurumi all the time, and I put mine in a pillowcase and wash them in the gentle cycle. Then just set them out to dry. It doesn't mess up the yarn. I've found that the dryer is what makes the yarn all fuzzy. Good luck!

Archived