Sign in to follow this  
smokeyp81

High efficiency washing machines

Do any of you felters out there have a top load high efficiency washing machine? Have you felted successfully with one?

We just replaced our old top load washing machine with a top load high efficiancy machine. This machine has almost no agitator. The clothes "roll" when they wash.

So, I tried to felt last night....it took me 1 1/2 hours to felt a pair of slippers! I have never had any problem felting in my old washer 20-30 minutes tops.....I tried everything from adding a pair of jeans, small amount of soap...everything that is recommended.....

....anyone have a solution??? Or am I not going to be able to felt in this machine?

I have been thinking of getting one of these....

I just felted a purse/tote and yes it took a while. I added 2pr jeans and 2pr tennis shoes. I had the washer on the hotest water and longest cycle. one and a half hours. I was told to check every 10-15 minutes, but I just let the whole cycle complete before I even checked. Drying took DAYS, but came out fine. When it is finished(add lining and handles) I will post pics.

Do any of you felters out there have a top load high efficiency washing machine? Have you felted successfully with one?

We just replaced our old top load washing machine with a top load high efficiancy machine. This machine has almost no agitator. The clothes "roll" when they wash.

So, I tried to felt last night....it took me 1 1/2 hours to felt a pair of slippers! I have never had any problem felting in my old washer 20-30 minutes tops.....I tried everything from adding a pair of jeans, small amount of soap...everything that is recommended.....

....anyone have a solution??? Or am I not going to be able to felt in this machine?

I have been thinking of getting one of these....

I know what you mean smokeyp81. I, too, have a high efficiency front loader. I bought it a couple of years ago before I even knew what felting was. You can also felt by hand but that takes just as long and you have to keep agitating the item. Some folks felt in the dryer, but I don't know how they do it. I can only guess that they wash the item and then dry it in the dryer. With high heat, I would imagine that would help a lot with felting.

I have 4 measly coasters in my top loading he machine, at this very minute. I am so glad to have finally found someone discussing this problem. I shall not despair (too much); I'll actually expect it to take a long time!