What was your very first project?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What was your very first project?

• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

My very first project... and by that I mean something who's purpose I had an intent for... was when I was 7 or so... and I started up in my room, crocheting a really long chain.. so that it could reach from my bedroom on the second floor, go down the steps, through the living room and around down to the basement steps and then all the way down into the basement.

I succeeded. And I was proud of myself. haha

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thing I stitched was supposed to be a blanket for my cat in V stitch, but I made the chain way too small so it's become a 10" square and I plan on making more and stitching them together.

My first "official" project that used a pattern was a dishcloth I made over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

My first project was a baby mat/afghan for my nephew(he's 10). I started when I heard my sister was pregnant, and finished about a month before his birthday. It was supposed to be a wraparound type, but I didn't know about using baby yarn yet, so it became the mat that she put on the floor for him to lay on!

My first real project was an afghan. Well, 3 really. I made my grandma, parents and brother one for Christmas.

Quick question, what is the difference between amigurumi and other toys? I thought that was the name for crocheted toys.

• 2 weeks later...

My first project was a wall hanging baby accessory organizer. It had pockets to put things in and a puffy section for diaper pins. Back in the day of cloth diapers...lol..ok, about 32 years ago...oh gracious, I am old.

I can't really remember my very 1st project...too many years ago. I do remember while I was learning I attempted a placemat. It was a disaster! It was supposed to be a rectangle, but (I later found out) was working in my turning chains here and there and it was really distored. This stuck with me for years, but I eventually got the hang of it :D

• 4 weeks later...

my very first project was a sc square that i worked in the round as an afghan for my first daughtr. she is now 19 and still has it. it has a hole that our dog chewed in it but she tied the loose ends together so it would not fray and further and refuses to part with it.

I started to knit and crochet just before I went off to college in the north - a shocking 45 years ago. My first thought was that it was a bright varietaged green scarf, but I really think that was knitted. The first crochet project was probably a very open stitch vest in peachy-coral color - the sort so popular in the hippie mid-sixties. However, I was never really interested in making anything to wear and quickly moved on to afghans, where I have been ever since.

Mine was the world's LONGEST red chain. My grandmother used to babysit me when I was little, and she taught me how to crochet to keep me entertained. Red was my favorite color, so she bought me a ball of yarn and a hook and I turned that entire skein of yarn into a chain!

The first thing I ever started was a lapghan I was making in dc. I had a home ec teacher teach us a little...and I worked on that off and on for years...using every bit of scrap yarn I could come up with. Unfortunately, I lost it.

Fast forward about 13 yrs...I was low on money and wanted to make my daughter and cousins something for Christmas. I made a scarf for one cousin...and you can see where I ended up increasing because I didn't understand about counting stitches. I covered it up by putting in a dc edge. He still doesn't know...I didn't follow a pattern. I made another scarf for my daughter, and it was better. I put a sc edge on that one. I made another scarf for my friend, and put a shell edge on it. She loved it. Those were the first things I finished. The first thing I made using a pattern was a hat. I made one for my other cousin, and one for my friend's son. Soon, I'm going to have to make more hats, because...kids just grow :-) Fine with me, though...

the very first thing I made was an afghan that was probably 4ft by 5t all done in single crochet the poor thing was so wonky from tension I didn't know what to do with it. my son decided it was his wooby and after 15 years he still has it and still drags it around it took me about 6 months to finish.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I tried to learn crochet off and on several times as a child and teenager, I never really finished a project. I just couldn't make consistent stitches. However, 12 or so years ago while my father was in the hospital, I made a lapghan for him. This was my first real, completed project. It helped to pass the time while sitting in the waiting room. Unfortunately, he did not recover and passed. My son was around 5 and wanted to keep it because he was very close to his granddad, whom he was named after.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived