What was your very first project?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What was your very first project?

• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

It's cool to see what the first project of some people was! I'm very surprized to see that most people's first project was an afghan!! :O

Me too! Mine was a simple mobile phone case. It was amazing........ at the time :lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very first thing i crocheted, successfully, was a granny square! And Im still learning about them, every day!

My Grandma taught me knitting, but i was on my own to learn crochet as she had already passed by the time I was interested in it. I still have one very small small ball of yarn, that she taught me knitting with, brings me closer to her, when i take it out and look at it, and remember the good times we had!

I WAS SO happy that i could finally make a granny square, and lots, and then put them together, and wala blankee!

( see later post for first knitted item!)

• 5 weeks later...

it was a single crochet in the round cell phone holder. i found the pattern and asked mom to make it for me. she said it was easy and for me to make it myself. and now i have a closet full of yarn. :hook

Holey COW, you guys! You all started on some pretty complicated stuff!! My first project was a chain. Eventually I worked all the way up to a square. Oh and there's always my famous "Pringles" brand snack chip container cozy, ah but that was my downfall.... I peaked too soon and had to settle for making hooks.

Oh i see we have quite the commedian in our midst......Woo Hoo! I want your hooks, all of them! I never knew what a Jimbo hook was, but I KNEW I would probably need one!!!!!!! I was right!!!! ;)

Oh i see we have quite the commedian in our midst......Woo Hoo! I want your hooks, all of them! I never knew what a Jimbo hook was, but I KNEW I would probably need one!!!!!!! I was right!!!! ;)

oh and being carried away with finding out what a Jimbo Hook actually is, i forgot to say what my first knitted project was, ,,,,,

Believe it or not, it was a knitted hot pad or two! My dear Grandma taught me to knit at a very early age! I coudln't have been more than seven. I still have in my possession, the remainder tiny ball of the exact yarn I made my first project, the hot pads from! It holds a very treasured place in my keepsake drawer!!!!! It is yellow, orange, brown and white ombre, vintage! Im looking for a glass case like you put baseballs in you know, to put it in ,and then display in on the mantel! Here it is, atop it's protective pouch that for now is it's home! I taught myself crochet many years later, and my first crochet project, was a granny square! I don'[t have that, or even a pic darn it! But my grandma will always hold the honor of being responsible for, and my inspiration for and of, my yarn and hook addiction.Thanks Mimo! Now to hermetically reseal this pouch, how did I do that again??

[ATTACH]26491[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

20 years ago, I had bought the yarn and pattern to do a huge afghan and quickly was discouraged because it was taking to long. So I put it away and never touched it again. Last summer (2009) I saw one of the girls at work working on some socks for her little girl doing edges with the size 10 crochet cotton, and thought Hmmm... I think I can do that. So just before I went up to visit my mom I bought a set of hooks and some white yarn and I played. When I went up I spent more money on socks and cotton thread and some pattern books and I have been hooked for good again. This year it was a book of Beginner crocheted hats. I came home looked in Joann's for yarn and saw the bernats pound of love baby yarn last Friday and Monday I finished the afghan I started from the free pattern on the label. Today I finished an edging I am putting on a shirt for my great niece or my mom haven't decided yet whom.

While we were on vacation when I was about 9 I sat and watched my aunts make granny square potholders one after another. I already knew how to chain from a neighbor girl at home. One of them gave me a spare hook and some yarn and I piddled with it a little but was super busy playing with my cousins. On the long drive back home (from Texas to Arizona) I somehow managed to make myself a pair of slippers. My mother was so surprised. lol.

I made this terrible thing for my car. It covered the entire front seat but it was HORRIBLE! LOL I used ugly colors and started with a small hook and then used a P! I don't have a pic that was 20 yrs ago! I think my ex still has it. LOL Next I made a granny square blanket for my son. Again with a P hook. It actually was pretty though.

• 2 weeks later...

My first finished project was a crooked roundish potholder ; when I was about 6 . I then went on to learn granny squares and made a twin size bed cover with them; Mom helped put it together. 40+ years later; I'm still crocheting and can make just about anything

I think my first project was a pink/blue variegated baby blanket for a friend who had a baby about 30 years ago.

Although I had many full size afghans started throughout my first years crocheting, the only things I completed at first were the baby blankets. I completed my first full-sized afghan about 20 years ago and have completed several since then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My very first crochet projects were pillowcase edgings and doilies. A couple of years later when I was pregnant with my first child, I purchased a teddy bear afghan kit from a mail order craft catalog.This was my first project using yarn and an afghan stitch. The teddy bear was cross-stitched on. I still have this little blanket after 31 years.

Archived