• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was a pair of slippers. My grandma taught me how to crochet when I was 4 or 5, but I was just making scarfs and other rectangles. After my grandma died our neighbor took me under her wing and taught me how to make slippers with my rectangles. So I prob made a million pairs of those. I remember going to that neighbors house and sitting in a cloud of smoke and crocheting with her group of ladies. LOL

Mom taught me with granny squares. I put them together, and made hats for some of the boys in my class. They thought they were sooo cool, but the teacher made them take them off because we weren't getting any work done.

Mine was a shell stitch afghan for my parents. My Mom bought me a 'Learn to Crochet' book after my 1st daughter was born. So as a 'thank you' I made a red and gold stripe shell afghan. Little did I know back then that yarn color also went by dye lot.:eek So there is a slight difference in the red I used...but they loved it. She still has it 38 yrs later, packed away now.

My very first crocheted project, was a 13" bed doll dressed as a bride.

I made it for my nephew and his wife that was getting married. Along with that I sent a bottle of champagne and 2 glasses etched with their names and wedding date.:hook

I used to do a lot of plastic canvas projects back in the day, so I had a lot of yarn. My soon to be sister-in-law taught me the single and double crochet stitches. I started making an afghan, which I now know is called a "Scrapghan". I didnt know how to change colors properly so I just tied the knew color to the previous color and kept going. I also didnt know how to sew in the tails as you go, so I had a lot of knots. We used that ugly thing for many many years until it finally started coming apart. :blush

My first was a double crochet scrap-ghan... my grandmother showed me how to put it all together and we used up her stash of all mis-matched colors of yarn. I thought the colors looked quite awful together but she saw it as beautiful. There was absolutely no pattern to it, and when we ran out of a color, we would just add a new one. It was just all double crochet rows. I still need to go back and finish it... I started it when I was about 10 or so...

Holey COW, you guys! You all started on some pretty complicated stuff!! My first project was a chain. Eventually I worked all the way up to a square. Oh and there's always my famous "Pringles" brand snack chip container cozy, ah but that was my downfall.... I peaked too soon and had to settle for making hooks.

Mine was an appalling, misshapen Christmas Stocking, made out of red and white granny squares. I used some cheapo acrylic.

Yes, you guessed it...I still hang it up every Christmas! :rofl

My first crocheting was pannels of single and double crochets, but my first project was a lapghan, when my MIL taught me to read a pattern. I saw a few years ago this beautiful American flag 'ghan on the cover of a mag or crochet book, and wanted to make it, but settled for a red white and blue in stripes :) here it is if ya want to see

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/IamJolyn/crochet/IMG_0015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must have been about ten when I started crocheting. I saw this girl crocheting and wanted to learn too, so she taught me how to chain and how to sc. She told me to make a scarf, so I proceeded to make what ended up as a misshapen bowl. It was pretty sad, but I still have my 'scarf' today. :)

A baby afghan for a very dear friend. It was completely a popcorn or shell that I didn't realize was quite difficult. I just figured that's the way all crochet was, I did it, and it turned out fine!

I was 19 and my son was 2 when I made him a beanie and scarf. I had never been taught how to crochet, but I just made them. I told my grandma because she was the only one I knew who crocheted. She said when I was a toddler, she use to babysit me and when it was naptime, she would put me in her lap until I fell asleep. So, she thinks I just watched her and it stayed in my memory. :)

Archived