Pound Of Love Yarn

I agree, you can pull from the center on the One Pounders, it is just a little harder to find the end. I have always had a handful come out and then I just wind that around my hand as a little mini-ball til I can crochet through it and get to the rest. There are a lot of skeins that don't come with a readily available center pull, but you can usually get to it easily enough. Sometimes one proves especially difficult and I have given in and used from the outside, but am always aggravated and wished I had tried longer to find the center. Once I brought out my paper towel holder which is just a wooden dowel upright on a stand and poked the skein on it so that it would spin around as I used it. Believe it or not, this worked great for awhile! But it got tangled up on the dowel near the end.

Then Pound of Love DOES have a center pull? The customer service lady said that their ball winder doesn't wind with a center pull which I found to be very strange! If Pound of Love does have a center pull then that will go a longgggg way towards me using it again.

You know when you have a normal sized skein that you can't find the center pull on, you can kind of flip flop it around. The pound of Love is just wayyyyy to big to do that to so you have to stop and manually unwind it. Very frustrating!!

In the skeins I have used, there was no piece of yarn sticking out to pull as there is on the Red Heart skeins, however if you pick your way into the center of one of the ends and pull out a chunk of what I usually call "yarn barf" (the wadded up piece at the beginning of the skein), once you unfrazzle that little bit, you've got yourself a center pull skein. I have done that with just about every skein of yarn I've ever used, be it large or small. You can use them all as center-pull skeins once you find the yarn barf in the middle.

• 1 year later...

It's frustrating and irritating but I too have long ago found that if I root around in the center and pull out the innermost little blob of yarn that there will be an end in it and it comes out fine thereafter. Some of you are REALLY good to have actually found the actual end in there! I don't have that much patience. It's just plain crazy that LION doesn't have machines that leave the end sticking out!!! I use Pound of Love for soft baby things. ..... Here's a hint that may help some of you who don't like the large skeins: I leave my skein right in the plastic bag it comes sealed in and just poke a hole in an end to pull the yarn through. This not only keeps the skein clean but it also helps to keep it from tangles when the skein starts to get used up. Also, sometimes a loop of yarn will catch around other loops and start to pull a blob out. Just stop tugging on it, unloop the offending portion, and it'll be all right again.

I have used Caron 1 pounders and find that you have to reach deep inside to get the end you also sometimes pull more when you have to find the end. I like it when they leave a small tail out to start a project.

ditto this, and it's very almost too soft for my taste, but great for baby items!

I'm using this yarn now, and I find it very knotted, even when using the pull from the center. It just is a mess. Won't buy it again, if it ever runs out.

:manyheart

i have been on a baby ghan kick this past month and used several skeins of pounds.... and, it takes a small bit more effort, i pull from the center of it like a reg skein. you have to use 4 fingers (2 each hand) to poke down and pull out to find the inside end. initially, i wouldnt dig far enough and would have to pull a bit of yarn out and straighten it out till i got to the end, but if i go just a bit farther i may have to pull out about 2-3 loops but not nearly as much and then i get to use as the center pull. hope that helps some

I'm using this yarn now, and I find it very knotted, even when using the pull from the center. It just is a mess. Won't buy it again, if it ever runs out.

:manyheart

it may be that is 1 of the rare oddities that happens, maybe was a new employee who was just learning and made a mistake type thing. so, just a suggestion, give it a 2nd try, just to see. ive gone through 4 skeins this past month alone, w/o it being knotted, so seems, imho, to maybe be that rare (annoying) oddity. good luck

I am currently using this particular yarn (pastel blue). I always have to "dig deep" for the center pull and it always comes out as a small clump of yarn barf. Once I unravel it, it's good to go. I would rather fiddle with the yarn barf for a couple of minutes than rewind the whole skein or use the outside end and have the thing flop all over the place like a fish out of water. Oh, and never had a problem with knots or joined ends.

I am currently using this particular yarn (pastel blue). I always have to "dig deep" for the center pull and it always comes out as a small clump of yarn barf. Once I unravel it, it's good to go. I would rather fiddle with the yarn barf for a couple of minutes than rewind the whole skein or use the outside end and have the thing flop all over the place like a fish out of water. Oh, and never had a problem with knots or joined ends.

I feel the same about what your talking about taking both hands to feel for the ends and I don't like winding like you said and chasing yarn all over the place. Even with a clump it crochet's up fast then works smoothly for me too.

• 4 years later...

I have 3 skeins of the Pound of Love yarn. 2 of them have the center pull.  I love Pound of Love yarn and use it all the time.

It makes beautiful baby blankets and sweater sets. I have made several for my grandson.

Because this particular thread was begun in 2010 or 2011, I think Caron must have gotten wise and started holding out the thread in the middle for a center pull.  The customer service lady who told Lynn that they didn't have a winder that made a center pull must have assumed that there wasn't a beginning thread to all that yarn!!  DUH!!

This is from an older Bernat-Baby Sport yarn label about center pulling yarn ends out. I looked all over their website and cannot find any videos or help of any kind anymore. It used to be www.bernat.com/videos but it directs to Yarnspirations.com now. Regardless, maybe this little diagram will help some. I still wind up with Yarn Barf from the middle but, not a lot. After I find the end, I shape the skein back to original shape and tape the label back on. keeps it's shape better for me.

post-17452-0-44325300-1454187448_thumb.jpg

I never had deal with that. But from what I am reading here probably the only easy way it would be to just push a wooden dowel or a metal "skinny" rod  thru the middle of that skein/ball of yarn and tie the ends of that dowel maybe to a chair or table legs. That dowel would be in horizontal position. Cardboard box would work instead of table or chair legs. Just cut little "valley" on two opposite sides (on top) and rest the end of that dowel on that. O course put some weight in to that box so would not be moving....Yes you would be using the outer end not the one inside. But that ball of yarn would be just turning around when ever you would pull on it. Easy:)

Well, that is my idea LOL.

Krys

Granny Square- I never thought to use this procedure either. Still get some yarn barf though.

USpolishgirl- Krys- Good idea. When in a pinch, utilize what's available.

Krys, I actually used to do that.  I saved paper towel rolls  and wound yarn around them.  I then used a shoe box to hold it.  The prep took a lot of time!   Also, using a dowel makes it less portable.

Now I always do a center pull.  I just saw that pictorial about squishing the yarn a couple of days ago.  I might try it the next time the center feels like its going to give me a lot of yarn barf.  Once I get the center out, I put the yarn in a mesh laundry bag, pull the center's end through any hole, zip it up and it's ready to go.  The whole prep takes 1-3 minutes. 

I use a mesh laundry bag, because they are cheap, keep the yarn from rolling and tangling, keep the yarn clean, and the yarn feeds while I'm crocheting.  I rarely have to stop and pull out a length, until it's almost near the end.  Some yarns still tangle for the last yard or two.  (3 bags for $1 at the dollar store.)

Archived