Shell Pattern

some1uno

Question

Can anyone help me find instructions on how to make a triangular shell pattern? It starts with one shell, then 2 shells, then 3 shells, etc. I have seen pictures and have contacted people but no one is able to help or direct me in the right direction on how to get started. I am hoping some one here can help me. :yes Thanking you in advance for your efforts.

18 answers to this question

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleanoutmyclosets/

I haven't backed out. I've been busy working the pattern, then reworking the pattern, then having other people test it. You may be surprised to know that it does take time to get it written so that any experience level can understand what you want them to do. I just finished up the one I'm going to copyright and sell, but it will still take time to get through all of that. I have a lot of time and money involved in this and I want to get it right. So unless you can come up with something on your own, have patience.

WOW, Lucyf, you have been busy! I looked at your pictures and the shell shawl and blanket are incredibly gorgeous! I can't wait till you get the pattern out....I'll buy a copy, and I will be patient. :hug

It is so awesome, and you worked so hard to figure this pattern out. I would never been able come even close to what you came up with. Excellent talent you have! :cheer:cheer:cheer

Absolutely stunning diagonal shell pattern. Congratulations on deciphering the pattern from a picture, and creating a glorious edging as well. Please let the forum know if you wish to sell your created pattern.

Edgehill

OHHHH so pretty! I would like this pattern also when it is available. Please keep me posted as to where I might purchase it.

The problem with me is that I need a written pattern to do. I am not good at figuring out the stitches by myself. Someone got close to making this pattern <<<<<<

There are a number of them on eBay now but I would think that if we did copy it from the picture it wouldn't be fair to share it.

Lucyf,

That is just gorgeous!!!! and looks like what I am looking for. I will wait for the pattern. Keep me on your list when it is published - I want to be one of the first recipients. Thanks so much for your efforts!!!!!

when you get the pattern done please let me know

Thanks

Lucyf,

That is just gorgeous!!!! and looks like what I am looking for. I will wait for the pattern. Keep me on your list when it is published - I want to be one of the first recipients. Thanks so much for your efforts!!!!!

The problem with me is that I need a written pattern to do. I am not good at figuring out the stitches by myself. Someone got pretty close to making this pattern but backed out of posting the instructions because she thought she was infinging on the copyright law. She posted a picture but now that is gone too.

Oh now I realize what it is you are trying to replicate. I really think this is not a pattern that has ever been published; so many people have looked for it and no one has found it. But if you keep on working on your own idea, you may come up with something even better!:hook

I really appreciate everyone's help but none of these suggestions resolve finding the shell pattern. I have looked and searched using as many key words as possible, searched Leisure Arts, contacted designers, even searched for "9dc shell", searched Ebay, Etsy, and other crochet sites. This pattern must be a guarded secret since I do not seem to find it anywhere!!!!! I think this pattern was trying to be found several years ago with no luck. I even contacted the person who posted the picture (which I cannot post here) and the response was that it is her mother's pattern which is not available. I will keep looking - - - one day I might get lucky.

here is a link for a triangle shaw pattern that might help.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70348AD.html

Thanks so much for the link to this pattern. Very nice. I think that a person can make it bigger by just keep increasing. Saved it, printed it off as I would like to make it soon.

I'm glad I was able to help, I know that is a fairly rough description. Here is a tip I learned from a Lily Chin book for shaping your stitch pattern: if you have a pattern in diagram form, photocopy it, and then draw lines on it where you would want the edges to fall. then you can see how to adjust your stitches to follow those lines. or if you don't have (or want to create) a diagram, you can photocopy a large swatch of the stitch pattern and draw lines on it.

where things are pulling too tightly, you can always throw in an extra sttich or 2, or use extended sttiches or a triple instead of a double to reach across a larger area. I have had to use tr instead of dc at the very edges of a similar piece, to keep it from bowing.

I can get the first shell OK. My shells are 9 dc and the next row a dc in the back loop of each of the 9dc. I'm not sure how many chains to place in between my row having 2 shells - it seems to be pulling tight. I also need a (dc, ch1, dc) on the ends to make an edging for a ribbon to run thru. I was trying to make it triangular (pointed) to a certain width and then decrease back down to 1 shell and finish off with a nice edging all around. The pictures I have seen cannot be posted here - I tried that and they got removed so it is hard for me to explain what I want to do. Thanks for your help - you did get me started and that's a big event for me! I have rattled my brain enough.

Can you give us a little more info? What are you wanting to make? It sounds like a scarf or shawl beginning at the point maybe...? Can you tell us more about the pictures you have seen?

You can start one shell by chain 4, last 3 ch count as a dc, then make the other dc sts of the shell in the 1st chain. for next row, chain 3 and make the shell at the edge of the 1st shell, base of this shell is in the top of last dc of the 1st shell; then make another shell at the other side of the 1st shell, base of it is in the top of ch of 1st shell. next row increase the same way and place a shell between the shells of row 2. that's a simple approach.

How exactly you do this will depend on the specific shell you use and how the shells are configured into each other in the rows.

Archived