My 15 Year Old Daughter Slipped...

Hi all,

Just wanted to say, I made my first pair of crochet slippers a couple of weeks ago, then made my 15 year old daughter a pair. She wore them yesterday, and she slipped on our tile floor and fractured her tailbone :angry. We were in the ER last night. She's fine, but in pain. I never even imagined how slippery and unsafe these things are. She will not be wearing them again until I buy something for the bottom. Any suggestions?

Not only did I feel bad that she was in pain on the floor, but I felt even more bad when I saw about 4 skeins of yarn around her on the floor. She was about to make me something for Mother's Day :(.

My son, who is 13, (lol) is so funny and goofy sometimes, he said, "Elizabeth, I got so scared when you were on the floor, I thought you were choking on yarn!". She said, "Now why would I be eating yarn?" hehe. She even smiled and chuckled in the examining room, and said, I'm kind of happy, I never broke anything before.

Here's a few pictures. One is the 'infamous' slipper, my daughter standing, reading in the examining room wearing the hospital gown..she couldn't sit yesterday. And the other is just a get well I got for her. :hug

post-27808-135897527861_thumb.jpg

post-27808-135897527865_thumb.jpg

post-27808-135897527868_thumb.jpg

I've heard of people dotting them with hot glue or using the rubber shelf lines cut to the size of the sole and then glued or sewn on. So sorry about your daughters slip I hope she has as painless and speedy a recovery as possible.

JoAnn's has a product called Jiffy Grip that is a vinyl fabric with dots on it, like the feet of pajamas. They also sell it by the yard, which is a better buy. I sew it on with a blanket stitch and then go around the edge with a thin line of waterproof glue. http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd10283

JoAnn's has a product called Jiffy Grip that is a vinyl fabric with dots on it, like the feet of pajamas. They also sell it by the yard, which is a better buy. I sew it on with a blanket stitch and then go around the edge with a thin line of waterproof glue. http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd10283

Oh, this is great! Thanks a lot. Gotta get some

Puff Paint.

A lot of people do plain old dots but you can do flowers or smiley faces or anything that makes you happy. Just cuz it's on the bottom of the slipper doesn't mean it can't be cute.

How long do the docs think it'll take to heal?

that is awful...poor thing! sounds like she is a real trooper and kept her sense of humor even though she was hurting! Will she be able to sit in class to finish up school or is it too uncomfortable? ugh!

Those slippers are adorable! I also recommend the puff paint. I used it when my kids were little on all of their socks and we had a very slippery kitchen floor!

Hope she is feeling better soon!!

Even that old white glue from school works in a pinch.

I hope your daughter feels better soon. I've landed on my backside a few times sliding through the kitchen as a kid as soon as I got new slippers.

Hugs and cookies

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. That will be a cute story to remember in years to come about her brother thinking she was choking on yarn. I have also heard that some people use the liquid tape (electrical) on the bottoms of slippers. I have seen it a few other colors besides black at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

My friend told me when she fractured her tailbone the only way she could sit was on two books supporting her 'cheeks' leaving a space under her tailbone. Hope you dd heals up quickly.

Sorry about your daughter's accident. I hope she heals quickly.

:manyheart

Your poor daughter! I have a wonderful tip for you so in the future this can be avoided.

There are new items out to resolve slipping on the bottoms of crocheted/knitted socks. Herrshners sells it called "Regia ABS Latex and you can also order stencils to do paw pads or hearts or whatever for the bottoms. It sells for about $14.00 I think.

Another item found in Home Depot or some hardware stores is called "plastidip". This is really used to coat tools to make them easier to grip. It comes in a bigger size and you're limited to black or gray for the colors, but this also works well for the bottoms of slipper socks. It is more expensive than that in Herrschners but you get more for your money and it is multipurposed.

Poor thing! My grandmother had this happen to her too, many years ago, and was able to buy a "donut" pillow so she could sit comfortably.

Here is a link to a website that teaches you how to make your own customized slipper soles: Slipper Soles

Hope she gets better quickly!

You ladies are so awesome! You don't know how much I appreciate the advice and get well wishes for her. She is so happy! She read them all right now :).

I bought her a donut, too! The book method for her "cheeks" is also good, ha.

She should be back at school Monday if she feels better!

Thank for the links too!

Ouch! I broke my tailbone when I was a teen and remember the pain and embarrassment well! I agree with the puffy paint. I use little wavy or zig zag lines but love the smiley face idea. I have been meaning to order some of the leather soles with pre-punched holes to crochet into for my next slipper project. Those are some very pretty slippers you made her! Love the pattern! Buy her a donut cushion and she will be fine in no time. Try not to feel guilty, if not the slippers it could happen on a skateboard (like my fall). :/ Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Oops -- read on and see you already got her the donut. You are way ahead of me! :)

I was told to use latex caulk on the bottom of slippers. You smear it on the bottom with putty knife or stiff cardboard etc. You let it cure as directed for windows and than do a second coat. This also makes it water proof. I understand that some people use silicone caulk which does help with water proofing and is no slip except on wet surfaces it becomes very slippery. So make sure you find the latex not silicone. You can get it in clear or a few colors and it is less than $5 a big tube.

Archived