Shawl Pins

I have seen shawl pins that are used to help hold the shawl on. But the ones I have found are very expensive. Any ideas on how to make one? I make prayer shawls to give away and I would love to add a shawl pin but I can't afford the expensive ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

you can go to the Craft store and buy some of the jewelry wire and beads and make one.. and you can get some chopsticks.. and paint them black. or whatever color to go with the beads

Try discount stores hair accessory department. I found a nice circle with a pick (@$4) that was meant to hold up a twist of hair but it worked well as a shawl pin too. I have even seen some sold online as both a hair accessory and a shawl pin.

I tried to find a picture and it was very simpliar to this one: http://www.etsy.com/listing/44617517/leather-genuine-circle-hair-buckle-pick?ref=v1_other_1 although mass produced instead of this one of a kind which costs more.

Thank you for your ideas. I hadn't thought of doing the hair accessory as a pin. I'll also look at the beads and see what I can find.

I've made them with wire and beads. You can braid or twist 3 lengths of 26 gauge wire that you've put various sorts of beads on and then from them into a circle. I use bamboo or rosewood DPNs to hold it into place but a chopstick or a piece of dowel can work too. I put some pictures on my blog a while back, if you are curious.

Archived