Pattern Problem!

mandymae

Question

I just started doing a free Bernat baby blanket pattern, and I'm pretty sure I'm reading the pattern wrong (or the pattern is unclear in some way).

Here's the area I'm having issues:

1st row: 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook (as 1 hdc). *1 hdc in next 5 ch. Ch 2. Miss next 3 ch. 1 hdc in next 6 ch. Rep from * to end. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in next 4 hdc. Ch 4. Miss next (hdc, ch 2, hdc). 1 hdc in next 5 hdc. Rep from * to end. Turn.

Okay, the way I read the first row, I end up with 11 hdc back to back (6 after the "miss next 3" and 5 before the "ch 2"). However, this doesn't work for the second row where I technically should be able to do 4 hdc and then miss (hdc, ch 2, hdc). I'm really not sure how to go about correcting my mistake!

Here's the link to the full pattern if anyone needs to/wants to see it:

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4017

19 answers to this question

First of all coats and clark has this diamond trellis afghan. The finish I saw on the forum is not posted online anymore but here is a picture from the magazine. Magazine is country quilt presents country afghans 2002 and comes up on e-bay once in a while, pattern is super easy and listed as beginner. Mary

post-7272-135897528329_thumb.jpg

post-7272-135897528332_thumb.jpg

I've worked 5 rows on this pattern, and I'm really not liking the way the pattern is written! I'm either misunderstanding things or it isn't written clearly enough. I might try the other diamond pattern someone posted on here...hopefully it'll be a little clearer for me.

I'm too lazy to work it out but it looks like it should work. Your first row should have-( 6 HDC's, ch2, 6HDC's) all along to the end.

In row 2, you Ch2 and HDC into the second to the last HDC of the prior row, HDC in each of next 4 sts., and then you do your chain 4. You should then be able to skip the (HDC, ch 2,HDC).

The pattern is such that it forms diagonals in each row by decreasing your HDC's by 1.

Round 2 has 5HDC and chains separated

Round 3 has 4HDC and chains separated, etc.

This is done by skipping the HDC right before your chains and by skipping the first HDC after the chains.

It's hard to explain, but you'll get it. Don't give up!

I still don't think the pattern is written very clearly, but things seem to be lining up so we'll see how it looks when I get the first 15 rows finished! Thanks to everyone for your help. :)

Just like you had 11 hdc between spaces on the first row, on the second row you'll have 9 hdc between spaces -- five after the chain and four before.

Oh man, thank you! I totally realized that I wasn't reading that second row correctly!

Okay, the way I read the first row, I end up with 11 hdc back to back (6 after the "miss next 3" and 5 before the "ch 2"). However, this doesn't work for the second row where I technically should be able to do 4 hdc and then miss (hdc, ch 2, hdc). I'm really not sure how to go about correcting my mistake!

Just like you had 11 hdc between spaces on the first row, on the second row you'll have 9 hdc between spaces -- five after the chain and four before.

I have to because sometimes I have to go through a few patterns before I find one that works with my brain. I know there is a free afghan size for a pattern similar to this with diamonds that works nice but I can't find it in my links right now but it could be adjusted and done in baby size. If I find it will post in case this one doesn't work out. Mary

That's a very good tip...I'll have to do that for my next pattern-based project!

I never make my sample swatch with the good yarn, I use cheap worsted weight first for my small swatch then if i know I understand the pattern start the whole thing witih the good yarn. Mary

That's a very good tip...I'll have to do that for my next pattern-based project!

The first row works fine for me and comes out to the end but the second row is all messed up or like the orginal poster I am not reading something right. It's free to register on that site and see the pattern but be warned they have a lot of nice freebies. Mary

I didn't work your pattern out, but don't forget that the ch2 that starts your row also counts as 1 HDC. I don't know if you filtered that in.

:thinkI cannot see the pattern because you have to register to see it.

How many stitches did you start with?

How many panels of open work are there in the picture?

Does it have stitch count at the end of Row 1?

Does the picture with the pattern look to have a wide panel between the open work sections or a narrow?

Have you put the asterisks in the same place as in the pattern?

I will look in later to see if I can help more with more info.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Yeah...I'm usually good at pattern reading, so I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is having problems with this! I frogged it once and tried again and I'm still running into problems. I love the yarn (I'm using Bernat Cotton Tots) and I don't want to ruin it by trying and frogging over and over and over again!

I tried doing a sample swatch with 2 pattern repeats and am confused on row 2 also so hopefully someone can help. That should be a very simple pattern it looks like. You have 7 HDC at the start of row 2 counting the ch2 and they want you to HDC in the next 4 HDC then skip (hdc, ch 2, hdc) which does not make sense to me as there is more than one hdc to skip before the ch2. Mary

Archived