Husband wanting to buy wife gift - wooden crochet hooks

vorhese

Howdy

My wife has mentioned she would like some wooden crochet hooks. I would like to get her some. She showed what she wanted once. I can't ask her to show me again! She's a fairly new crochet-ist but wants to improve. Can anyone recommend what I should be getting her? I don't know sizes or if she should get a whole set or anything. But I did register on a crochet forum and post a help me thread!

Thanks

-Jason:clap

What great idea.

You could look at hook that she is using.

Or ask her to tell you about hooks and crocheting. I know I would tell my DH all about hooks and crocheting.

and not think to much about it.

Oh, look in her Favorites too. I bet she saved the site.

What a great husband you are! Ebay also has some nice wooden crochet hooks you could look at. If you get the chance to look at her hook, the size/ letter is often printed on it. You could find one she is currently uses,or one she uses a lot to get an idea about the size to order.

You could go to eBay and just search wooden crochet hooks. I love the Bamboo ones and they aren't very expensive. I'm sure she would love you forever if you got her an entire set of D thru J! That way she will have them for any future patterns she may wish to do.

I have a set of Turn of the Century hooks and I LOVE them !!!! (DH bought me a five hook set in a hand crafted box)

The owner is very easy to work with and the hooks are excellent quality.

Then there are Jimbo hooks (but you have to bid on them) that are just amazing! (and Jimbo is on these boards).

I just found this website...these are made as you order so it takes about 2 weeks but you can have her name or initials carved on them (which I love!) and they are made of maple. http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=EDJE01 if you have a time limit you may want to put this one aside for future reference but it wouldn't hurt to contact him and just ask for a time estimate.

This is a really thoughtful gift and I bet she will be thrilled that you made that extra effort to get something she will really love and use!

If you need something more quickly Hobby Lobby usually carries the dark colored rosewood hooks that are pretty and ornate. good luck!!

Her hooks are probably aluminum, putting them in the lettered category (between B-1 2.25mm to K-10.5 6.5mm). 4.00 mm is indeed a G hook. Wood is a bit fancy for a beginner. Susan Bates acrylic hooks are perfectly nice for every day crochet, and bamboo hooks are a popular innovation. However a wooden hook does sound like a lovely gift. It is something I would dearly love to be given. Do remind her that if she puts too much pressure on one it can splinter and crack.

That aside, I love rosewood. There are many people on Etsy.com that sell handmade wooden hooks. I have always preferred rosewood hooks, but I hear maple is nice as well.

These are high end, hand carved hooks in a variety of woods to choose from: http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/hooks.htm

And this is a nice set of Bamboo hooks, from size C to size N (13 hooks for $20) http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Arruniel/perfect-for-the-porch

Ok I'm leaning towards getting 1 or 2 sizes from Turn of the Century or buy from dcsterling on ebay. I should get her a G hook, set maybe another. I'd love to get her a whole set, but I don't have the funds and I'm afraid she wouldn't use them all. This isn't a rush, this is just a random gift. I've been making some big purchases for my toys and she hasn't made one peep.

Ok I'm leaning towards getting 1 or 2 sizes from Turn of the Century or buy from dcsterling on ebay. I should get her a G hook, set maybe another. I'd love to get her a whole set, but I don't have the funds and I'm afraid she wouldn't use them all. This isn't a rush, this is just a random gift. I've been making some big purchases for my toys and she hasn't made one peep.

Wow, you are a great husband! I sure hope she likes whatever you find for her.

I also like GrayDog hooks, which are wooden and pretty fancy. Turn of the Century are great hooks. I would be happy with either kind.

:manyheart

I love my Jimbo hooks, my TOC hooks and my bamboo hooks. My favorite are my jimbo hooks but you can ask him to make one for you he is a member here and has done that for me. Just starting though I would buy a set of bamboo hooks such as these http://cgi.ebay.com/13-SIZES-bamboo-crochet-hooks-US2-15-C-P-3-mm-12-mm-/170270818640?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27a4ee8150 they are resonably priced and are a buy it now. But when you really want to give her a treat buy her a Jimbo hook, you will be loved forever.

I have a Turn of the Century and I love it. As they say, the owner is a great guy to deal with.

You can get Rosewood hooks here at Joanns.com .

You can get plain hooks from e-knittingneedles.com

You have lots of choices from fancy to plain.

You are a keeper and it is great to see a husband so interested.

You ladies are really going to confuse this fantastic husband.

With Boye or Susan Bates, it is the type of hook on the end that is what you are looking for. Boye's are more turned out, and Bates style is more straight, like an inline.

Good luck and I hope we helped and not confused.

:manyheart

If you want a wooden hook then you HAVE to email Jimbo. Not only does he make wonderful hooks (I have a few) and helped design one of them - he's a wonderful guy.

http://www.jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/

Most of his auction hooks go between $30-50 from what I've seen. He also does bamboo hooks made to order. A lot of people don't know that they can email him and make a custom order.

He doesn't sell on ebay - just thru his blog.

Just want to say Hi! I hope you find the perfect hook for your wife. She will be thrilled.

Archived