Weaving in Ends

ManfaMae

Question

Over the weekend, I decided it was time to do some stash busting. I started making a join-as-you-go granny square blanket and got about 16 squares done. I was changing colors with every row and weaving in the ends after each one so there wouldn't be so much weaving in to do at the end and it really seemed to go a lot smoother. When I fasten off one color, I leave a very long end (about 6 inches) and weave it in with a yarn needle for several inches back and forth until I think it's secure and then cut it. My problem is, I keep noticing the little ends sticking out and I have to keep tucking them in. What do you do to get rid of those little ends?

5 answers to this question

I just leave them until after I launder it, then if any are still sticking out, I cut them off close to the stitching. I've never had a problem with any of them sticking out again, or anything unraveling after I do that.

My experience is that some yarns are slippery enough that they do not want to stay tucked in and the ends constantly pop out. Caron Simply Soft is very bad about this in my opinion. it has been suggested to use a tiny bit of fabric glue to hold them in place but I haven't tried that myself.

I weave my ends into the back side of my project. For the unruly loose ends, I use a much smaller crochet hook and weave them directly into the (backs only) of some of my stitches in a very abstract manner. I go down, then sideways, then vertically. When I'm all finished, I gently pull the piece to shape it before blocking. The ends seem to magically disappear. I literally go through the little bars on double and triple crochet with this method. It's a little more time consuming, but it works wonders.

Archived