I'm teaching a little girl to crochet!

I am watching a 5 year old girl a few mornings a week, until the bus takes her to preschool at 12 noon.

She had recently received a lovely blanket from Project Linus as a gift from Chicago Children's Memorial hospital where she had some testing done.

So now she wants to learn to knit. Well, that wasn't going very well at all, so I asked her if she wanted to learn to crochet. She agreed to try.

So I sat her on my lap, and I was able to help her make the stitches that way. She made a square about 8 stitches by 8 stitches and was very proud of herself. So I'm sure we'll be doing more of that tomorrow when I go visit her again. I think it's fun teaching her to crochet.

She was just so proud of herself.

I think I may have a new crocheter in the crowd.

:manyheart

What a great way to spend your time with her, she'll never forget it. I can see her first 'ville post 20 years from now...I had this wonderful babysitter when I was 5 teach me how to crochet while holding me on her lap, I've been crocheting ever since! Glad to hear that 5 is when little girls may be interested in and able to learn crochet, my little girl will turn 3 in July, only 2 years left! Right now she just likes to "help" un-wind my yarn balls.

Wow! that is so great. I see alot of pot holder gift for this young lady's family, and so wonderful of you to have the gift of teaching crochet.

It is a wonderful gift to share. And she loves it. We just sit together and crochet for a good long time.

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

That's so neat! :manyheart

My little brother(he's 9 1/2 YO)wanted to crochet, so I taught him how to make a chain...And then he wanted to go right into making a circle!:lol

That's so neat that she wants to learn!:cheer

• 2 months later...

I'm teaching a neighbor girl how to crochet the other day she expressed interest in it. At first it was hard for her she was sitting right next to me and she wasn't getting it at first and I said to her what hand do you write with? And she said I am left handed so I did the mirror image with her and she did a slipknot then I proceeded to show her how to make chains. I think she will get it real quick told her to practice it tonight and tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

It's so great to see others teaching kids. I learned from my grandmother when I was about seven or so, and although I did drift away from it for a few years, I've been back with it more than ever since my kids were born.

• 4 months later...

These are lovely stories about passing crochet onto the next generation. My daughter who is now 12 wanted to learn a couple of years back and she can chain, sc and dc. Although she does 'lose' stitches from the end of her rows if Im not watching!!! My 8yo son just eats sleeps and breathes football (soccer) so no hope there but my 6yo boy wants to learn and I think I might give it a go as that seems a good age to pick it up!! Keep on passing crochet on and keep it alive!!!

Archived