Crocheting vs. Knitting

I do both, but it took me around 20 years and 4 different attempts to become proficient at knitting. I have gotten to the point where I ALMOST enjoy it as much as crocheting, but crochet is still my first love. There are some things that look better in one versus the other, though, imho. But I love both!

I like both very much but have to admit I found crochet much easier to learn than knitting was. Somehow I had trouble getting my hands to work right although I knew more or less what they ought to do, LOL.

I do think each craft has its own strengths and weaknesses. I vastly prefer knitted sweaters but will gladly either knit or crochet a shawl, as long as it turns out drapey. After some messing around with both, I would rather crochet string bags than knit them any day, at least with any pattern I've tried so far. And so it goes... some things I like better knitted and some crocheted. Being able to do both is quite nice.

I've been trying to learn how to knit for who knows how long now. I just don't have the patience, just the determination. Youtube and Knitting For Dummies has been a huge help. One of these days, I will have my woolen Irish knit sweater.

Hugs and Cookies.

I'm in the process of teaching myself to knit. It's actually quite enjoyable for me too, but I think I'll always prefer crochet. I do enjoy Tunisian stitch and cro-hooking, so casting on and casting off are not a problem. Working with 2 needles as opposed to 1 hook on the other hand, now that throws me for a loop. I'm so slow with my knitting because of it, but it really does look nice when I take my time, keep my stitches even and relax about it.

This is a great forum so far:yay I'm having a wonderful time! So glad I found you all here:)

Teresa

Lots of Crochet Stitches by, M. J. Joachim

OMG the whole thing got on my nerves. :eek LOL!!!

Are there just some people who are NOT suppose to knit???:think

My thoughts exactly! I joined a Knitting Class that started last Wednsday, and let me tell you I have never felt so uncoordinated ever. :(

I just dont get it and dont remember learning to crochet being this hard at all.

There is 5 more weeks to this class and I am actually dreading them :ohdear

I guess I'm in the minority here (and please don't hate me!), but I didn't find learning to knit to be all that hard....I was around 40 when I learned....and I knit continental.

I don't understand why everyone continually compares the two, when to me, they are two totaly different crafts that just happen to both use yarn....as Carla says above me, it is very nice to be able to do both....your hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. If knitting really gets on your nerves or stresses you out....then why do it?

Someone told me something pretty interesting when I was buying yarn not long ago. They said it takes more yarn to crochet than it does to knit. I thought about it, and I suppose that's true.

However, knitting doesn't have nearly as much stitch versatility as crochet. There are literally hundreds of crochet stitches, and when you combine them with special techniques, it's doubtful anyone can learn them all.

Well, I have to say, I'll give it my best shot:slingshot

I'm having a blast learning new crochet stitches designing quick and easy patterns to go with them. It's even more fun sharing them with others. I only started my Lots of Crochet Stitches blog last week, and I've found more time to crochet now than I have in a long time. It's really great. I'm adding a new pattern later today. Had some running to do this morning and still need to finish writing it up and posting it...complete with pictures:yes

Love this knitting sympathy corner. I started a new knitted scarf a while ago, finished 3 crochet projects since, and still need to finish that darn scarf...sooner than later, I hope.

Have a great day crocheting everyone:yay

Talk to you later~

Teresa

I learned Knitting before Crocheting,but I picked up the Crochet easier because I could read the patterns and it was just getting my stitches to look like with the pattern was telling me to do is where my problems are. But I enjoy both.

I taught myself to crochet last year and soon after decided to try out knitting... I almost finished a scarf and then decided I had the concept down and decided to start something harder. I went with the pattern that looks like the rope is twisting down the middle (I know ya'll know what I'm talking about) and I worked about 10 inches of the pattern and was feeling pretty confident - a few days later I worked another 6 inches or so and when I held up my work of art to admire, I realized I had somehow reversed the pattern. My beautiful braided cord scarf was going to have half the front on the back and half the back on the front. I tried to slowly pull out stitches down to the correct part and couldn't get my needles back thru the holes so I ripped the whole thing down and crocheted another doll blanket for my daughter.

Maybe someday I'll have the patience to try again, but for now the needles are hiding in the bottom of one of my yarn buckets.

• 4 weeks later...

I first learned to knit when I was 5. My grandmother taught me to knit a pair of mitts on 4 needles. I have been doing it for 32 years now. I love to crochet because it is faster and if I do make a mistake it is easier to go back and fix it.

I have not knit anything in the last year though.

Are there just some people who are NOT suppose to knit???:think

I think that perhaps there are some people who are just more inclined to crochet than knitting.

Archived