Blanket is too stiff - any ideas?

csclark626

Question

I a organizing a service project collecting baby blankets for our local NICU. A friend of mine is making some of the blankets and just emailed me with a question, but I don't have an answer. I'm hoping some of you do! Here's her question...

I have a bunch of yarn in the stash here and wanted to use some of it up on the next one (blanket) so I'm working away on a third one. It is a really cheap discount store yarn from before you were born (no joke!) and the blanket is working up as stiff as a board!! I am not finished yet and am doing it as one huge granny square to eliminate seams which would be even stiffer...but is there anything I could wash it in or anything I can do to make it softer? It would nearly stand in the corner by itself!! I'm hoping that as it gets bigger, I'm on row 14, it will soften some just from being flopped around...but not seeing too much promise. Any ideas? My frugal self kicked in and I thought I should use this up before buying more Bernat but ick...almost seems scratchy for a baby...

Thanks for your help!

14 answers to this question

It sounds like she may be using too small a hook. that would make a very dense fabric. if it is so stiff that it could almost stand up, unfortunately I think the only solution will be to rip it out and start over with a significantly larger hook. but she could try soaking it in liquid fabric softener and then washing it. I would look at the rows done so far as a test swatch, try washing/softening it. if that doesn't work, it may have to be started over.

I wash gentle cycle and use Snuggle fabric softener. That softens them up initially and more each time they are washed. I can take a RedHeart Supersaver and have it as soft as baby yarn in no time. Just did that with a ripple I had made for my son. He thought it was a little scratchy and now it is soft enough to snuggle your face into. Might take 2 or 3 wash & dry cycles but it has always worked for me.

It sounds like she's using a way too small hook. I toss all my ghans in the washer and dryer. I use 2 fabric softener sheets and they always come out nice.

Granny squares make a stiffer fabric than a straight dc. It's just the nature of the stitch.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers! I'll let her know.

I just want to say if this is going to the local NICU, please DO NOT use fabric softener! All that perfume is not good for thier delicate little lungs. I keep a bottle of "All Free & Clear" in the laundry room to use for my charity items. Typically a run through the washer & dryer will soften the yarn considerably. I never use fabric softener (I'm allergic) and never have problems with stiffness.

I just want to say if this is going to the local NICU, please DO NOT use fabric softener! All that perfume is not good for thier delicate little lungs. I keep a bottle of "All Free & Clear" in the laundry room to use for my charity items. Typically a run through the washer & dryer will soften the yarn considerably. I never use fabric softener (I'm allergic) and never have problems with stiffness.

Good point! I had not thought of that. I just read the other day that people with chemical sensitivities are increasing too. The lab where I go for blood testing now has a sign up asking that people not wear perfume or any scented lotions or creams as one of their employees has a sensitivity problem. I felt very guilty as I had put on both a quick spray of cologne and some scented lotion before I came. Wasn't much I could do for that visit but I will make sure to skip those next time in. I would hate to have to never wear scents as I enjoy them, but I don't want to be setting off problems for other people either.

They do make scent and dye free fabric softeners if I am not mistaken! Downy has one and maybe All as well. I have never used either product so I can not vouch for how well they do.

I agree that it sounds like perhaps too small of a hook.

I have had good luck with just washing my afghans after making them and they soften right up.... although some do take a couple of washes. The last one I did I used Red Heart Super Saver and I did wash it with fabric softener. I was amazed at the difference with just one wash.

Wishing your friend the best of luck with her project! Sounds like it is for a great cause! I am hoping to get some afghans done for Project Linus soon and donate them. Still trying to get in contact with our local chapter though.

I've washed two of my aghans (one made with RHSS and the other Loops & Threads) with regular Tide and no fabric softener and even though they weren't scratchy/stiff before, they softened up so much after the washing! I didn't even put them through the dryer--just hung them outside to dry!

Not sure if you got this for an answer. Soak it in hair conditioner for about a day, then rinse by hand well.

Let us know how it works out and what you used :)

Laura

I a organizing a service project collecting baby blankets for our local NICU. A friend of mine is making some of the blankets and just emailed me with a question, but I don't have an answer. I'm hoping some of you do! Here's her question...

I have a bunch of yarn in the stash here and wanted to use some of it up on the next one (blanket) so I'm working away on a third one. It is a really cheap discount store yarn from before you were born (no joke!) and the blanket is working up as stiff as a board!! I am not finished yet and am doing it as one huge granny square to eliminate seams which would be even stiffer...but is there anything I could wash it in or anything I can do to make it softer? It would nearly stand in the corner by itself!! I'm hoping that as it gets bigger, I'm on row 14, it will soften some just from being flopped around...but not seeing too much promise. Any ideas? My frugal self kicked in and I thought I should use this up before buying more Bernat but ick...almost seems scratchy for a baby...

Thanks for your help!

Archived