Some good clean fun?! [Archive 2]

imanurse55

Thanks to the WIP Week CAL, a bunch of us decided that this would be a fun experiment:

The idea is really simple:

for every X amount of time spent cleaning, organizing, running errands, etc. - we earn the same amount of time to :crocheting. It always seems to me that part B of this equation tends to get lost, right? And the "winners" each week would be all of us...being able to :drool over all the pics of AWESOME finshed projects!:yay Such a Deal!!!:yes:devil

See if you can get motivated to get your house in order, and get some great projects done!

...and just think of how NICE everything will look, which will, of course, gain you MORE time to :crocheting:devil ...see where I am going with this :?

links to patterns:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/looptoloopdishtowel.htm

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1595+Crochet+Corner-to-Corner+Throw.htm

mystery CAL we are playing with in November: http://www.sarahlondon.wordpress.com.

How about some cleaning tips?:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo0811 viewpost.gif

As far as any cleaning tips go, I am probably not doing anything that you don't already do or know. These are just ones that I heard about and have used numerous times over the years. But here are a few:

Toilets- 2 cups of vinegar in the bowl; let set for a few hours or overnight before flushing. Presto, clean toilet with minimal or no scrubbing OR 2 denture tablets (I buy the cheap ones for $1 at the dollar store) in bowl; let fizz for a little bit; scrub minimally with brush.

I use a lot of vinegar & water solutions (sometimes add baking soda). I use a lot of baking soda & water solutions/pastes. Vinegar/water/baking soda solution works great for wiping down stove and inside of refrigerator. Food will absorb/pickup the taste and odor of cleaners/disinfectants. The acid in the vinegar helps deter mildew.

Soap Scum- Cheap/inexpensive shampoo will remove soap scum in the bathtub with little scrubbing. After that I just spray tub with disinfectant wipe down & rinse. Sometimes I use a soap scum remover.

Rubbing alcohol (great disinfectant) will clean chrome fixtures & mirrors quickly.If you want to make a solution for mirrors it is 1 part alcohol and 4 parts water. No streaking!!!! Rubbing alcohol also works well on tile. Pour directly on tile and wipe/mop until it is dry. Plain white toothpaste/Baby Oil will also put a nice shine to chrome fixtures. Toothpaste is also good for removing skid marks on lineoleum. Rub toothpaste on mark and then mop as usual. Colgate Toothpaste & damp sponge will also remove crayon marks from the wall(wipe/scrub carefully). Rubbing alcohol will remove scuff marks/pen or pencil marks from walls. Apply aclohol to dry cloth and wipe.

Moistened rag with water that has been rung out very,very well for dusting. Any dry/drab looking furniture I will then apply lemon oil/polish. Dust clings to the water moistened rag better than using just a rag & polish. I also use cloth diapers as they tend to leave less/no lint residue.

Shower doors- Wiping with Lemon oil removes buildup and will prevent future build up. Shower door tracks I use undiluted vinegar; let set for a several minutes then rinse away with water.

Vinegar placed in small containers around the house will eliminate/absorb household odors. Pure vanilla on a cottonball will also do the same thing.

Clorox disinfecting wipes work great on toilets, countertops and other nonpourous surfaces. I use lots of these :lol.

Orange based concentrated cleaners also work wonders on soap scum and hard to clean/stained surfaces.

Coffee pot/maker- fill with water add 2-3 spoons of cream of tartar or baking soda; let percolate; when water has cooled scrub with a sponge and :2magic it is clean. You can also use vinegar/water solution to remove calcium build up, but the key to this one is that you have to do it several times until water runs clear.

Garbage Disposal- Cut up lemon place in disposal add a paste of baking soda & water; turn on and disposal smells fresh and is clean.

Trash cans- moisten cotton ball with a natural oil such as eucalyptus/rose/vanilla place in bottom of can add trash bag and it will help with trash/food odors. In my small waste paper baskets I do the same thing or I buy the cheap dryer sheets at dollar store and place in the bottom. Borax sprinkled in bottom of trash cans will also work.

If something spills over in the oven, immediately sprinkle with salt; when cooled wipe away with a damp cloth/sponge.

For stains in a white sink- use 1/2 cup of salt and scrub with lemon. Let sit for a few mins then rinse away.

Wow, I am trying to :think of other things I use :lol.

Run your sponges thru the dishwasher every few days, as they breed bacteria. Throw away after a few weeks. I don't have a dishwasher so I boil mine in water with a little bleach.

Cleaning carpets- Vacuum well. Dry cleaner- 2 cups of cornmeal 1 cup of Borax. Sprinkle on carpet. Let set an hour then vacuum. Pet odors- sprinkle baking soda on carpet; let set an hour and vacuum. 2 parts water and one part ammonia works well on carpet stains.

Where fingerprints tend to appear on walls and doors- starch will add a nice little coating to resist these marks.

:birthday

Vicki - January 27

Beth - May 24

LeaAnne - August 6

Scooby - August 11

Stacy - August 31

Joanne - October 10

Colleen - November 2

Mary - November 9

Shannon - December 3

Jennifer - ?

Judy - December 15

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is good colleen about the pop (or soda as we call it here in NJ):lol

They say it really isn't good for you- I don't drink it at all...my obsession is coffee---but I try to drink alot of water every day too

Kids have a way of occupying your time- so it will be good for DH to be busy with them. Sometimes, I miss all the craziness of having kids around....and well, then other times, I love my peace and quiet!

Coffee- let's see- one cup in the AM when I get up and check out the ville. then I stop at Starbucks for a cup to bring to work in my travel mug- then a cup in the afternoon and sometimes a cup when I get home.

I LOVE coffee!!!

I have been doing a lot... stress makes my adrenalin rush, I think, or I've been craving endorphins... either way, it's been good to escape and wrap myself up into something.

Colleen - those coffees sound yummy! I love cappucino! oh... and mocha's...

"dress up" the house for fall---love it!!!

I took out my fall potholders/towels for the kitchen, and some of my fall decorations for the house. I didn't unpack it all (don't want the house to look cluttered).

we are not going to have an open house. We are just going to show the house. Our agent will call before folks come. So we will have to be on our best behavior (I jokingly told DH no more walking around 1/2 dressed!!!) Ive been practicing by making the bed every morning and putting morning dishes in the dishwasher. LOL

I know what you mean, Mary, about the crochet time... I am WAY PAST DUE! I think that's how I'll be spending the better part of next week. I am way behind on what I wanted to have made for Christmas gifts. I gotta get crackin'

I got my "autumn" tea towels out on Wed. and I have my fall flag and a wreath out front. I have a little fall colours candle holder on my kitchen table and that is about it until I get out the halloween stuff :devil. DD's class did leaf rubbings at school the other day, so that "dresses up" my fridge. I love fall!

Archived