annmcc1976

how to get sig smoke smell out of yarn

I was givin some yarn that has sig smoke smell.. what is a good way to get it out? if there is a way,

Dear Annie:

What i do is I take the yarns and place them in a new plastic garbage bag and i place 2 or 3 fabric softtner sheets on the bottom and place the yarns neatly... then again another layer of sheets over and over again and then i seal it tight and store it aways for about a month... some times i go thur a whole box of sheets but hey it works like a charm...

Saturday i was given some yarn too off free cycle and the lady and hubby both smoke and girl I did what i just told you and i will forget about the yarn for like a month...

some times it will take another new round of sheets after a month but after that your yarn will not have that smoke smell....

I do this all the time and even thou I dont smoke i always store yarns wioth fabric softner sheets just to keep them smelling nice and fresh....

hugs

Lillibet

I bought some from HL one time that just reeked from smoke. It was so bad that I just pitched it in the trash. So now, I smell my yarn before I buy it.

OHHHH Noooooo Linda never trash it .... The smell will go away i do it even with yarn that are perfectly fine but smell like mildew or basment smells....

It works every time....

hugs

Lillibet

If yarn smells like cigs. when you buy it, take it back. I found some and told a manager an employee must be smoking in the store room. I got yarn from a fire damage sale that smelled smokey. I took the labels off and put them in pantyhose (tied like sausages) and washed them. Use the gentle cycle, cold water with Wool-lite. Dry them on delicate, cool cycle (may take more than 1 dry cycle).

Ellie 13

I got these off freecycle.. I knew ahead of time they may smell as she stated it in her Add.. but what smells bad to one.. dose not smell bad to another so I said i'd take my chance. all else failed if they smelled to bad I'd give them to a smoker whod not notice lol.

but They dont Totaly REEK!. i have to realy burry my nose in them.. but still I'd like to get what smell is in them out.

what i did for now was take my Car freshner Tree thing and stuffed it in the bag n tied it off. till tomarrow.... they didnt smell all that bad.. but I will get some frabric sheets tomarow and just put them in a bag with them for a few weeks.. as that is how long till I'll even touch em anyway.

if that dont work i'll try elle's idea. I'm just hoping overnight in this bag with the Freshner Tree.. it will smell like the freshner tree instead LOL

Annie dont worry none,, really add the fabric sheets beleive me i do it all the time only thing is you got to do it and forget it for a few weeks..... and whala....

but like i said dont be holding back the sheets i buy the $1.00 store sheets as i use so many and all the time...

My home never is without sheets for my yarns....

hugs

Lillibet

If not fabric sheets, I use Fabreeze. I used it with both yarn and thread. Spray the skein or ball reall well and let sit out for a couple of days. Takes the smell right out.:hook

• Like 1

Wow Mary Jo:

Thanks for that tip.... I never thought of it and will for sure give that a try too.....

Awesome....

hugs

Lillibet

Dont they make dryer sheets with fabrezze in them?

My Friend brenda (southernpeachhooker) told me the fabreze trick...i mean realy they are not that bad.. I just want to make sure they are not stinky for if i wanted to make up squares for our baby afghans...or if i make squares for people who request.... but... if they were bad My eyes woulda started to itch and id get short of breath as im sensitive to smoke. but i had to sniff them to smell that stale sig smell..

being i stuffed my lil tree car freshner in the bag and tied it....rite now they have more of this Lil Tree Vanillaroma smell to them with a touch of old siggy lol... Tomarrow i'll hit the Dollar tree an get some dryer sheets and just dump the box in the bag.. tie it off and toss it on the top shelf of my Closet.. being thats gonnna be my craft room here in a few weeks :D the bag will be forgotton till i start to organize my yarn on the shelfs

Edited by annmcc1976

Annie make sure you enter throw the sheets in between the balls and skeins of yarns...

Dont just drop the entire box on top.... Mix in the sheets between the yarns...

I was given more yarn today from the same lady that game me the ones on sat and i must say i just came home and opened the shopping bags right aways and got my sheets out and began to lay sheets on the bottom of the bags and layer the yarns balls and skein and more sheets etc and then squeezed the air out and tie...

I happen to buy at the Dollar tree some blue bags that came in a roll in a clear bag and well they bring 28 bags and they are scented too..

so i double the bags and whala.....

I cant hardly wait to dig in to the bags to start making my doggie blankies and kitty beds so by the time i get to see my orthopedic doctor i should be good and they yarn should be ready .... Whooooo Hoooooo...

hugs

Lillibet

I'm a smoker, and I use vinegar to get rid of the smell. Unwind the yarn and soak it in a bowl with vinegar and water and the smell will disappear. My non smoking daughter says it really works (I wouldn't really know of course:blush)

I have used the dryer sheets before. box up the yarn, layer sheets, & yarn. keep it covered for a few weeks. I used real Bounce sheets, cause I wanted to be sure they had enough scent to overcome the smoke.

Why don't you just make whatever you're going to make and wash it before you give it away. If the smell doesn't bother you then don't worry about it. I would assume that you would wash it before you gave it anyway to get the sizing out of it and make it softer.

Why don't you just make whatever you're going to make and wash it before you give it away. If the smell doesn't bother you then don't worry about it. I would assume that you would wash it before you gave it anyway to get the sizing out of it and make it softer.

The yarn I had I couldn't even work with because of how bad it smelled.

:manyheart

but They dont Totaly REEK!. i have to realy burry my nose in them.. but still I'd like to get what smell is in them out.

Fortunately, Ann's isn't that bad. I would've taken back to the store - it might've been a return.

I was going to say for the yarn that smelled like smoke from the store...most likely was a return from a smokers house. Smokers don't realize how much the smoke permeates everything. My longtime friend runs a daycare and is not allowed to smoke in her house (nor did she before) but anything from her house still has the smell.

As for the fabreeze...I personally am sensitive to it. This will probably work for most people but for me I would just bag the yarn, LOL!

Any smelly yarn I get gets hung outside in the sun and wind for a couple of days (right in the skein, if necessary) and then, if it still smells funny, washed in a yarn bag. That gets rid of practically everything. I can see where the dryer sheets would work, though. When I get yarn at Goodwill, it often smells smoky, either from the house it came from or from being in their warehouse with stuff from smokers. so it gets a good airing first. If it still smells bad, it gets washed right away, if not, it goes in the wash after the project is done and before it goes to anyone.

I smoke, but I try to keep away from my yarn when I do. I also rub some baby powder on my hands while I work on my projects, it gives the yarn a lite sent. Also the dryer sheets are good for rubbing on your hook when it doesn't want to slide easily and it too gives the yarn a lite sent.

If yarn smells like cigs. when you buy it, take it back. I found some and told a manager an employee must be smoking in the store room.

I doubt that it was someone smoking in a store room. Yarn is typically received wrapped in plastic and is kept that way in the box until is is stocked. Most retail stores don't take long too stock thier shelves. It was more likely something that was returned by a customer. I agree... take the yarn back to the store if it has an odor.

That said, I don't care for the fabric softener method, first of all I'm allergic, but to me it's just masking the problem. An alternative is to put the yarn in a plastic tote and put a small box of baking soda (one of the fridge boxes works well) and leave it overnight, or longer if it's really strong, and it should neutralize the odor.

I doubt that it was someone smoking in a store room. Yarn is typically received wrapped in plastic and is kept that way in the box until is is stocked. Most retail stores don't take long too stock thier shelves. It was more likely something that was returned by a customer. I agree... take the yarn back to the store if it has an odor.

That said, I don't care for the fabric softener method, first of all I'm allergic, but to me it's just masking the problem. An alternative is to put the yarn in a plastic tote and put a small box of baking soda (one of the fridge boxes works well) and leave it overnight, or longer if it's really strong, and it should neutralize the odor.

yea that is what my Friend told me to dry when i asked her on wendsday. She said she that works.. and my other girlfriend said to put it out in the sun, I'm gonna try a little of both

I JUST had this happen and mine DO reek. I got a bag from freecycle that was in someone's home for a decade. It had a smokey/plastic smell.

My good friend told me to take a pair of nylons and stuff the yarn in the legs - most of this yarn was balled so I loosened it up a bit before putting it in. I banded each yarn ball in the nylon with rubber bands. Then I tossed it in the washer on gentle with 2 cups of white vinegar and some laundry soap. Unbanded it all and laid it out to dry.

It worked... it smells like fresh rain now! :)

These are some great tips. I never thought about stuff like that so now mayhaps I will do things like this. Mainly because of the musty smell from being stored in totes and bags, and because I do alot of cooking and find my yarn sometimes smells like some of my more smellier food experiments.

Hugs and Cookies

I was givin some yarn that has sig smoke smell.. what is a good way to get it out? if there is a way,

I wash it.