Ethinic Drop Stitch

HDorsett2

Question

I was reading over on Ravelry and came across this stitch called, ETHNIC DROP STITCH. I have never heard of this stitch but it looks very nice and would like to try it out. I did a search for it but can only find it in a book on REDHEART site. I am attaching a photo of it so maybe it will help. Thanks for the help. Happy crocheting!!!!!!!!

post-21286-135897524952_thumb.jpg

20 answers to this question

I got the book already (that was super fast shipping! Good ebayer). The stitch as I guessed in my first reply to your thread includes a long single crochet (a sc made in 2 rows below the one currently being crocheted). The pattern does not call it long sc, but says to sc in row 2 rows down. There is a pattern to it's use though. Every other row is just continuous SCs and then the next row will be a combination of sc and long sc. I think breaking it down to how many of each (and they vary per row) would be infringing on the copyright, as that is basically her pattern. So, I think maybe there is not one stitch that is an ethnic drop stitch,unless she is using that synomously for "long single crochet." Maybe her ethnic drop stitch is the combination of sc and long sc that makes up the design.

I think I can safely tell the colors used as they are often listed for patterns for sale. As others guessed there are just two -- TLC Essentals Shaded Denim (variegated) and Aran.

I recommend buying the book -- even though most of the 10 patterns are pretty basic, this one alone is worth the small price of the book. I also like the contemporary ripple and there is a nice four square with shells.

You're absolutely right...I was calling it the wrong thing. I meant Long SC, not Extended SC. I think your picture looks very similar to the scarf in the booklet image. :yes

Thanks Happy. I don't know why I was so determined/obsessed with trying to figure this pattern out; I mean I had things to do and socks to sort! :lol Ah well, mystery solved...and socks to sort, still.

Ah, I see what you mean, Happy; it did look to be more 'refined' than a post stitch, but I just wasn't quite sure what else it could be.... However, with your share, I'm now thinking that it uses "Long sc" rather than "Extended sc" You can find illustrations of the two different sc's here: http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet4.php

You're absolutely right...I was calling it the wrong thing. I meant Long SC, not Extended SC. I think your picture looks very similar to the scarf in the booklet image. :yes

Okay, so I had a bit of time last night to fool around with how I think this pattern stitch is obtained and I believe I have it. What I last thought of as being a Long sc (Lsc) is more likely a Long dc (Ldc). This variation gives the dropped point a tighter more spear-like appearance than with the Lsc.

post-29383-135897525573_thumb.jpg

Not as sharp as the look they obtained with the darker variegated yarn.

I It looks to me like the illusion begins when extended sc are used. I really don't think it's front post or back post stitching. The front and back of the scarf look solid.

Ah, I see what you mean, Happy; it did look to be more 'refined' than a post stitch, but I just wasn't quite sure what else it could be.... However, with your share, I'm now thinking that it uses "Long sc" rather than "Extended sc" You can find illustrations of the two different sc's here: http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet4.php

Also, a Long sc will show up on both sides, so this might be a 'reversible' pattern... And yes, clearly two colors of yarn, the white and the variegated. If I get a moment after my granddaughter leaves, I may give it a try.

Edited to add: I tried, and the Long sc doesn't seem quite right. For me, at least with ww yarn, the dropped stitch is too open (like a narrow "V"), which doesn't seem evident in the photo of the afghan. Getting the book w/pattern is the way to go.

It's my understanding that it's OK to paraphrase a stitch, since a stitch can't be copywrited. Putting it in your own words is key to having it remain here, though.

I agree with RoseRed. The black and blue appears to be variegated, and the cream is the second color. It looks to me like the illusion begins when extended sc are used. I really don't think it's front post or back post stitching. The front and back of the scarf look solid.

I just bought the book on ebay for $3.95 and reasonable shipping. The seller has two more copies. I think it is worth it just to satisfy my curiosity over the stitch. :)

Here's an interesting copyright question: If someone has the book, and can paraphrase the stitch, not the pattern or the same wording, but just a general description of the stitch itself, is that okay? Just wondering. If anyone knows, pls share the knowledge.

From what I remember the pattern only uses the vari and the white but I could be wrong.

I'm with you; that's how I see it in the photo.

I have this pattern book - somewhere (and no, I'm not going to tear the room apart to find it). The very cool looking blues and blacks comes from using a varigated yarn. From what I remember the pattern only uses the vari and the white but I could be wrong.

I wonder if it's like the heart afghan. I have this in my to do pile but have yet to get to it. Mary

It never dawned on me until you mentioned it, Mary, but yes, I think you're right, the Sweetheart Ripple very well may be considered a "crochet mosaic" pattern. I made that afghan last fall -It's a fun pattern once you figure out the placement of the slanted post stitches. Here's my tri-color version of Kim's design.

Interesting. I've been looking around and am finding mosaic knitting which is made by working 2 colors and slipping stitches. You get a negative pattern on the back side. This is beyond my very basic knitting skills but it looks JUST like your photo. Someone must have come up with a crochet version.

I noticed that too. I'm thinking, though, that if mosaic crochet uses post stitches, that the resulting fabric is likely one-sided... although I could be wrong. I'm looking forward to receiving my pattern books. :)

That book can be found all over to buy and it's not very expensive so might be best to buy and have the pattern. Mary

That's what I figured too, Mary, albeit different patterns from what Dorsett is looking at, this morning I ordered the two books that kept coming up in my searches for a similar style.

Interesting. I've been looking around and am finding mosaic knitting which is made by working 2 colors and slipping stitches. You get a negative pattern on the back side. This is beyond my very basic knitting skills but it looks JUST like your photo. Someone must have come up with a crochet version.

It turns out that this is the very style of crochet that I have been doing an exhaustive search for over the last several days. Having come across the very minimal instruction below, I focused my search on the term "mosaic crochet". One thing that frustrated my search is that the term "mosaic" is used for other styles of crochet as well, such as tapestry crochet. Having no luck in finding more detailed instructions, I ended up finding a couple of books on mosaic crochet over on ebay.

The closest I could ever come in my search for a "free" how-to is:

"Mosaic crochet starts with rows of simple single crochet stitches. In fact, you only work with one color on a row at a time, so you don't have to worry about constantly changing colors within a row.... The seeming complexity comes from "dropping" long double crochet stitches from the working row to another row below. Dropping stitches of one color into another creates the interlocking color patterns unique to

mosaic crochet...."

I did come across instruction for Interlocking Filet which while interesting, it just isn't the same.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/crochethook/patts/intrlck.html

For Everyone's Information: When a link is posted and it is non-functional and appears with a bunch of ********, that is because the site has been added to our filters for some reason. Sometimes members think there is a technical issue with the link, and post other instructions and "hints" at how to find the pattern.

We ask that you please do not do that, since there isn't an actual technical difficulty. Instead, please go back to your post and edit or delete the post as necessary to remove the URL plus any other information you had posted related to the link (name of pattern, name of website, hints at how to find the pattern).

You can read this post for more information about general reasons why we may add a site to our filters.

That is a very pretty pattern. You have me stumped as I have never heard of it. It looks like a combination of stitches made in "row below" but I am no good without a pattern. You know I am going to have to order that book now, don't you? Haha! That would make a very handsome scarf. I am always on the look out for things that will work for my boys (grown men actually). I will be watching your thread and hope someone has the answer for how to make this stitch.

The Apache Tears pattern uses that same sort of stitch. I think they often call them Long single crochet/long double crochet, meaning that they are stitched in the row one or two below the row being worked on.

Archived